IGNORED

AZ governor signs bible law

dawn9476

Although I worry about potential abuse, I personally think that a course in how the bible influenced western civilization is an excellent idea for a high school level course. First of all, the bible DID have shit ton of influence on western civilization. Knowing the how and the why of that seems critical for understanding history as well as today's society. I am coming up with my dream syllabus as I write this. You could do a whole unit on Henry VIII, his six wives, and the conflicting rules found in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Maybe you could even go into whether King Jame's own guilt regarding his homosexuality is what inspired him to come up with his own "version" of the Bible. It could be a fantastic class. Talk about lots of room for critical thinking!

The problem is that there are groups like the National Council on Biblical Curriculum in Public Schools to seize on the opportunity. The curriculum they put out has been criticized for being religiously biased, historically and scientifically inaccurate, shoddily researched, and filled with plagiarized passages. In one edition they claimed that NASA found evidence of two days that "went missing" to lend credence to the Bible story of the sun standing still during a battle. And yet, there are states where legislators are proposing bills that would allow state funding for high school Bible electives using NCBCPS's curriculum, and their curriculum alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_C ... ic_Schools

I figured the fundies would ruin this too. So sad. It could have been so cool. The kids could have been getting an actual education.

I figured the fundies would ruin this too. So sad. It could have been so cool. The kids could have been getting an actual education.

We can't be having kids getting a real education, now can we?

Dear Lord, no! They might start thinking critically, maybe even forming their own opinions or thinking for themselves. It would be a disaster. Why they might even stop and wonder why a homosexual king with mommy issues would be obsessed with his own version of the bible. They might also wonder why that particular version seems to appeal so much to fundies.

Fan-freaking-tastic. Time to start drilling into my kids' heads "The Bible is a work of fiction and should not be mistaken for a factual accounting of anything." Because, you know, the Arizona public school systems are just so strong otherwise...48th in the nation I believe.

What is up with Arizona these days??? How long until they go too far and get slapped down hard by the Supremes? This is exactly why we need another term for Obama. He would very likely have a chance to appoint some Supreme Court judges and can you imagine the mess this country would be in if Romney got to be the one to do that?

Bible course is ok, but bible course taught by the local Assembly of God/Bible Church/etc pastor is NOT ok.

What is UP with Arizona? They gots the crazy laws.

This is the LAST this we (AZ) needs. I wonder how may districts actually offer this so called 'class'. I wonder what credit this class will count for. History? English? Misc? There is no religious credit required to graduate in AZ so I'm all confused.

I had to giggle at this gem by the Bill's author Terri Proud: "Students are deprived, she adds, if they don’t understand the derivation of commonly used phrases, such as “an eye for an eye.."

Hey, dim bulb? Try the Code of Hammurabi from Babylon, which predates the Babble by nearly 1800 years, which is where the bronze age goatherds that wrote the damn book got it from. :roll:

Edited for further ranting.

The course, which will be allowed in public and charter schools, is suppose to be about teaching how the bible influences Western culture but the ACLU in AZ is afraid that it will be abused by Christian teachers who will use this law to preach Christianity in the classroom.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2 ... e-law.html

Under AZ law, no religious books can be read in the public schools as part of coursework. This law carves out an exception for the Bible based on its historical and literary value. It is the camel's nose under the tent and is also blatantly unconstitutional. You cannot allow one religious book while excluding others at the same time. As a resident of Arizona, I hope and pray someone sues because this is crazy.

(Please, please, please, Jesus, save us from your followers and end the legislative session soon!!!)

Although I worry about potential abuse, I personally think that a course in how the bible influenced western civilization is an excellent idea for a high school level course. First of all, the bible DID have shit ton of influence on western civilization. Knowing the how and the why of that seems critical for understanding history as well as today's society. I am coming up with my dream syllabus as I write this. You could do a whole unit on Henry VIII, his six wives, and the conflicting rules found in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. Maybe you could even go into whether King Jame's own guilt regarding his homosexuality is what inspired him to come up with his own "version" of the Bible. It could be a fantastic class. Talk about lots of room for critical thinking!

Bolded the part that I really like. To bad the fundy's would take this over and not teach any of it. I would love to take a course if it followed your syllabus.

The problem is that there are groups like the National Council on Biblical Curriculum in Public Schools to seize on the opportunity. The curriculum they put out has been criticized for being religiously biased, historically and scientifically inaccurate, shoddily researched, and filled with plagiarized passages. In one edition they claimed that NASA found evidence of two days that "went missing" to lend credence to the Bible story of the sun standing still during a battle. And yet, there are states where legislators are proposing bills that would allow state funding for high school Bible electives using NCBCPS's curriculum, and their curriculum alone.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_C ... ic_Schools

:shock: How is that something you can even find evidence of? Did they just find the two days chilling on the dark side of the moon drinking margaritas or something?

Archived