IGNORED

fall from grace

contrary

Out of work today and watching this documentary about Fred Phelps and WBC. Despite having seen photos of Phelps, I have to truly say that this man is really scary looking. His eyes are cold and hard in a way I've rarely seen in real life. They're Manson eyes.

I am really torn on these guys. I think their beliefs are ridiculous (and I think any indoctrination of children and teaching them to hate is wrong...though they say they don't hate people, they love them, that is why they protest. I don't agree with it and think they are totally skewed but wevs) but I don't find the WBC more dangerous than any other fundie group. At least they don't shelter their children, in fact they push them to go to school, get an education etc. At least with the WBC you know what they are about. They are up-front and in your face and don't try to candy coat their beliefs. The Duggars et al, they are the dangerous ones. People see them on TV as these sweet and happy people without actually delving in to what they really believe, and how they operate. They have just as much hate for anyone not like them as the WBC does, they just sugar-coat it and that, to me, is far more dangerous.

I am really torn on these guys. I think their beliefs are ridiculous (and I think any indoctrination of children and teaching them to hate is wrong...though they say they don't hate people, they love them, that is why they protest. I don't agree with it and think they are totally skewed but wevs) but I don't find the WBC more dangerous than any other fundie group. At least they don't shelter their children, in fact they push them to go to school, get an education etc. At least with the WBC you know what they are about. They are up-front and in your face and don't try to candy coat their beliefs. The Duggars et al, they are the dangerous ones. People see them on TV as these sweet and happy people without actually delving in to what they really believe, and how they operate. They have just as much hate for anyone not like them as the WBC does, they just sugar-coat it and that, to me, is far more dangerous.

I couldn't agree more. There is only slight hypocrisy as well in the WBC like Shirley Phelps having a child out of wedlock, but then members get kicked out for corresponding with a boyfriend, unlike the Duggars which are full of hypocrisy.

I couldn't agree more. There is only slight hypocrisy as well in the WBC like Shirley Phelps having a child out of wedlock, but then members get kicked out for corresponding with a boyfriend, unlike the Duggars which are full of hypocrisy.

Oh for sure. The WBC are total hypocrites but meh, they've stated time and again that they are not out to recruit, and they don't actually want more church members. The Duggars are trying to convert and recruit. The WBC are also not involved all that much with politics, choosing to back none of the candidates. The Duggars and other fundies...well, we've seen what they do with politics. That is another thing that makes them more scary.

This. Most people look at WBC and know that they are fucked up, whereas with the Duggars, they might get sucked in since it isn't obviously fucked up.

Archived