IGNORED

Another Oregon faith healing death in news MERGED

Witsec7

This never made the Portland papers when the child died. I'm sure we must be first in the nation for faith healing deaths of minors.

Six Creswell siblings became wards of the state Monday as their parents await trial in connection with the death of their teenage son, who died in December after the couple allegedly chose prayer over medical care for his undisclosed treatable ailment.

Brandi and Russel Bellew face second-degree manslaughter charges in the death of 16-year-old Austin Sprout. But they may continue to care for their remaining children under a state-supervised “in-home safety plan,†Lane County Circuit Juvenile Court Judge Eveleen Henry also ruled in a brief afternoon hearing.

Terms of that plan include the presence of a state-approved “safety provider,†immediate notification of the state Department of Human Services if any of the children has “medical symptoms, illness or injury†and calling 911 if any medical emergency arises.

The family attends the General Assembly and the Church of the First Born in Pleasant Hill, which generally believes in using prayer instead of medical care to treat illnesses. The safety monitor, Del McCracken, is a fellow church member, but “believes in seeking medical care and advocates for the children to have medical care,†the plan states.

The Bellews must also take turns being with the children, because they are forbidden contact with each other under terms of their pre-trial release from jail. Court records show that Russel Bellew, 39, is living in Springfield, while Brandi Bellew, 36, is living in the couple’s Creswell house. His attorney, Hugh Duvall, told Henry that Russel Bellew agreed that all the children should remain in their Creswell home.

The children are a blended family, created when Brandi and Russel Bellew married after both were widowed.

Her first husband, Brian Sprout, died of sepsis in 2007 after sustaining and failing to seek medical treatment for a leg injury, a Lane County Sheriff’s Office lieutenant said when the Bellews were arrested in February. Brian Sprout was the biological father of three of the six children placed in state custody Monday, as well as of Austin Sprout.

A state child welfare worker revealed Monday that Russel Bellew also lost a spouse from a prior marriage, Randi Dawn Bellew, who died in Sisters in 2008. She was the biological mother of two of the remaining children. The sixth child was born to Russel and Brandi Bellew in 2010.

A newspaper obituary listed no cause of death for Randi Bellew, who died at age 31. It said she was a member of the Crooked River Ranch General Assembly and Church of the First Born, and that “she was preceded in death by daughters Elizabeth and Emma Bellew.â€

Monday’s hearing was packed with more than two dozen relatives and supporters of Brandi and Russel Bellew. Many were fellow church members who bowed their heads and appeared to pray during the hearing.

State child protection caseworker Jennifer Long Perkins told the judge that the Bellews’ remaining children range in age from a baby to a 17-year-old. As Henry called their cases by name, Perkins recommended that each be removed from their parents’ legal custody because the Bellews caused their sibling’s death by failing to provide Austin Sprout with “necessary medical care.â€

Henry’s subsequent orders to that effect were entered by default, as the Bellews declined to challenge the assertions until they have resolved their criminal case. If convicted of second-degree manslaughter, they would face mandatory minimum prison terms of six years and three months. No trial date has been set.

Perkins told the judge Monday that state caseworkers “believe the other children are safe in the parents’ care,†under the supervised plan.

Rebecca May, the six children’s court-appointed attorney, called them “extraordinary†— “charming, well-mannered, gracious, intelligent and interesting.â€

She added that the family “has a lot of support.â€

“When I was there, four other adults were there helping the mother,†she said.

In their only objections during the hearing, Duvall and Brandi Bellew’s lawyer, Bob Schrank, challenged as unnecessary the state’s request that both parents undergo a comprehensive psychological exam.

But Perkins said the state had a solid basis for seeking the exams.

“By no means are we suggesting that these parents are crazy,†she said. “But we are asking the family to make a significant, life-changing decision about a practice (faith-healing) they have long upheld. We want a professional opinion that they are able to do that.â€

Henry ordered the exams, but allowed the couple to delay them until their criminal case is resolved.

If you read carefully, you'll find that there are three dead kids, and two dead adults.

http://www.registerguard.com/web/newslo ... l.html.csp

I remember this case from when the kid died. IIRC he had pneumonia.

And that is an enormous mortality rate for that family, or even for those two families. Maybe the fundies should look at these faith-healing purists and realize their fear of the medical establishment is irrational.

How sad. This was another needless death. :(

I will probably take flak for this but I am glad the parents are continuing involvement with their other children. It sounds like, while the parents actions are reprehensible, this entire family are the victims of a cult and handling it this way will not only be less traumatic on the other children, it will not give the rest of the cult members reason to feel that they are persecuted and take an even more radical stance.

I was waiting for a followup on this one. of course life is sacred and the children are blessings. of course it is gods job to heal them as he has nothing better to do.

How sad. This was another needless death. :(

I will probably take flak for this but I am glad the parents are continuing involvement with their other children. It sounds like, while the parents actions are reprehensible, this entire family are the victims of a cult and handling it this way will not only be less traumatic on the other children, it will not give the rest of the cult members reason to feel that they are persecuted and take an even more radical stance.

The court has a fox watching the hen house, another member of the 'church' who purportedly believes in medical care. Yea I disagree with you totally. I've lived in Oregon for 21 years and have lost count on the number of children whose parents murdered them through religious neglect. 20 maybe 25, add to that the other dozen or so kids who were out right murdered by their fundie parents (the Christines are the first that come to mind right now) and I'm fucking spitting fire. Religious wackjobs like this have no right to see any of their children again. This family has had 5 fucking faith healing deaths, yea send those kids home to mommie and daddy so they aren't traumatized. I'd rather my tax dollars go to paying for their parents prison time and ensuring these kids get good placements and adoptions and psychological care.

A really great common denominator in all of these cases that are brought to trial is the parents often use doctors and dentists for themselves.

The court has a fox watching the hen house, another member of the 'church' who purportedly believes in medical care. Yea I disagree with you totally. I've lived in Oregon for 21 years and have lost count on the number of children whose parents murdered them through religious neglect. 20 maybe 25, add to that the other dozen or so kids who were out right murdered by their fundie parents (the Christines are the first that come to mind right now) and I'm fucking spitting fire. Religious wackjobs like this have no right to see any of their children again. This family has had 5 fucking faith healing deaths, yea send those kids home to mommie and daddy so they aren't traumatized. I'd rather my tax dollars go to paying for their parents prison time and ensuring these kids get good placements and adoptions and psychological care.

A really great common denominator in all of these cases that are brought to trial is the parents often use doctors and dentists for themselves.

Seriously? If that's true I take it back, I just have known and known of too many fundy types who end up hurting themselves and kids more because they assume any "persecution" means they're doing things God's way.

Seriously? If that's true I take it back, I just have known and known of too many fundy types who end up hurting themselves and kids more because they assume any "persecution" means they're doing things God's way.

The Hickmans are in jail for 6 years, their children are in the care of church members. Fuck the niceties. The Christines were investigated for neglect something like three or four times, family unification and all that crap sent those children back to their parents to die. The Beagley's kids are being cared for by church members while their parents serve their slap on the wrist time, they were prosecuted under our old laws.

why would god even bother with parents if he is supposed to take care of them. why have parents at all? I guess god needs all those prayers these great parents provide.

Where have you been finding put this info?

why would god even bother with parents if he is supposed to take care of them. why have parents at all? I guess god needs all those prayers these great parents provide.

Where have you been finding put this info?

I missed this latest one, I found it on the Huffpo.

I'm contacting these folks below tomorrow. I want to be notified the next time an Oregon parent prays their kid to death. I'll be happy to sit in a courtroom for a few days.

http://childrenshealthcare.org/

[

This family has had 5 fucking faith healing deaths, yea send those kids home to mommie and daddy so they aren't traumatized. I'd rather my tax dollars go to paying for their parents prison time and ensuring these kids get good placements and adoptions and psychological care.

of course they still fully believe in god. They really remind me of a dog you can beat them day and and day out and they will still love you. what a relationship with god that is. You can let the dog starve to death and it will still love you.

Does god really want blind unthinking obedience?

I missed this latest one, I found it on the Huffpo.

I'm contacting these folks below tomorrow. I want to be notified the next time an Oregon parent prays their kid to death. I'll be happy to sit in a courtroom for a few days.

http://childrenshealthcare.org/

I never saw what happened to the children when the parents when to jail. or maybe I just did not remember. I posted this one when it first happened but I had not heard anything since.

If you read carefully, you'll find that there are three dead kids, and two dead adults.

http://www.registerguard.com/web/newslo ... l.html.csp

Unbelievable.

I live far away from Oregon, but it seems to me that Oregon generally has a reputation of having a fairly liberal, even "crunchy", population (overall).

But it seems like every time I turn around there is another of these deaths from failure to obtain basic medical care for something that is 100% curable. I guess I don't really understand why there are so many of these stories coming out of the Pacific Northwest.

Guest Anonymous

It's absolutely incredible that a member of the fuckwit church has been appointed to supervise the family. That blows my mind. :twisted:

I'm generally in favour of not separating children from families entirely, if the parents have a will to change and the children want it, and there are safeguards that can be put in place to make that happen... but fucking hell, that is beyond crazy. How does a legal system allow it? Why aren't people protesting in the streets?

Seriously, I want to go over to that church and cut the pastors' bollocks off with a rusty knife, and see how long he waits around seeking prayer to heal the wounds. :twisted:

From Yahoo News:

Brandi Bellew's first husband, Brian Sprout, died of sepsis from a leg injury after failing to seek medical treatment, but still she wasn't moved to bring her son Austin, 16, to the hospital during the week he languished at home before he passed away last December. The Daily Mail reports the cause death has not been released but investigators said it was "highly treatable."

According to the Register-Guard, Brandi and her second husband, Russel Bellew and their six other children, are members on the General Assembly of the Church and of the First Born in Pleasant Hill, Oregon, a congregation that believes in using prayer to treat illness.

On Monday, April 15, 2012, the county juvenile court ruled that the remaining children would be wards of the state. They can remain home but under the watch of an approved "safety provider" who is mandated to immediately notify the Department of Human Services if the children display any signs of illness or injury. The parents are facing charges of second-degree manslaughter.

A state caseworker revealed that Russel's first wife, Randi, is also deceased but of unknown causes. Her obituary reportedly said she was, "preceded in death by two daughters."

Austin's uncle, Shawn Sprout still hasn't lost the faith. "We trust in God for everything. We trusted him to take care of our illnesses and heal us…it wasn't in our hands," he told KVAL News.

Hey fundies-God gave us medicinal knowledge for a reason! Damn stuff like this pisses me off!

God helps those who help themselves and sitting around waiting is God's will.

if you are depending on god for everything why are you working? did he buy your house your food? OI mean god should have food delivered every week and he should have a house built for you. or is it if you waited for god to provide such things you would starve to death?

Apple1, hello from a fairly crunchy parent. Crunchy in some ways, traditional/old-fashioned in others.

It depends on where you are here. Portland is the greenest city in the US and even a lot of restaurants use biodegradable plastics for compost, and stores get fined for using plastic bags instead of paper. Lots of crunchiness and modern-day hippies here. Go an hour south to one of the small towns, and you'll come by ass-backward fundies who think a woman's place is barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen. I went to high school in a small town here and was teased mercilessly for being a girl interested in mechanics, which is something only boys should be interested in, so that must make me a lesbian, and for that I was harassed even worse and jumped after school a few times and a cop even watched as four girls attacked and did nothing. That town is just the same. The sort of town where parents are known to still spank kids with belts and tree switches (you think my giving a single swat with an open palm to a clothes butt after several warnings is bad? - I'm outright permissive compared to folks who use tree switches on their kids and the cops don't care). The last time I went to that town, a friend's mom chastised me for not taking my daughter, who was a year old at the time, behind the house and beating her when she didn't put something down as soon as I told her. According to her, I was going to raise a spoiled monster for not "putting the fear of god into her with a beating" and for giving her a couple chances to correct her own behavior (the second time I told her, she put it down, a plastic cup with some juice).

But in Portland, the mottos are "Keep Portland Weird," and "Make Portland Weirder." I know people in Portland who still breastfeed school-aged kids (but who are "unschooled"). I know people so against making a child do anything that one of them has a NINE-year-old son who still isn't toilet-trained. The kid isn't mentally delayed, just lazy and sees no reason to go to the toilet if he can pee in a small-size adult diaper.

What's odd though is that the people in that small town eschew medicine in favor of prayer, the ultra-conservatives who believe in just praying to god, and the Portland people eschew it because medicines are all full of autism-causing ingredients that the government is trying to control us through. I don't run to the doctor for every sniffle and sneeze, but is my daughter gets injured and my mommy-sense has gone haywire because everything I know about first aid flew out of my brain because OMG my baby is hurt, we'll rush to the ER. If she has a fever over 104 for 12 hours, or a low fever for three days, or my gut instinct tells me something's wrong, we're going in. One day we'll probably be hearing about the child of someone I know dying because someone had a religious or philosophical objection to doctors even while a kid is bleeding out his ears.

I agree with you. Allowing those children to remain in the home will only increase the chance they'll grow up to do the same thing with their kids. They need to be removed from the family that has seen so many deaths for the same reason. No one learned from the first death, or the second, or the third, or the... And yet they've continued letting kids die. There should be no more chances. They clearly have no desire to change. Get those kids away from them, and immediately remove any they have in the future.

Hey, it's supposed to be "Keep Austin Weird." After all, Willie Nelson unveiled a statue to Willie Nelson on 4/20 at 4:20 p.m. in Austin.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/ ... story.html

(I knew someone who took the "Keep Austin Weird" bumper sticker and changed it to "Keep Austin Evil." Not sure exactly why--it was nearly 20 years ago.)

Well, with the families experiencedd mentions, or even with their whole church, it should be pretty simple to a comparative study of the mortality rate of prayer versus usual medical care. Given the mortality rate of the Sprout/Bellew family, I am pretty confident it will show that god sucks at fixing health problems. Well, unless the optimal outcome is death, which it sounds like it may be in these churches. God and prayer are pretty good at shuffling folks off the mortal coil and up into heaven to be with the fetus angels.

This is just so sad. And these are teh kinds of beliefs I can't even begin to understand. If you really trusted in God, wouldn't you trust that God made it possible for all the medical treatments to be invented? I figure if God was so all powerful, a little thing like doctors wouldn't stop him. And any person wouldn't want their children/spouse to die, so once they see the mortality rate in their community, I can't understand why they'd cling to those beliefs that lead only to death.

Archived