IGNORED

Documentary: I Escaped a Cult

divadivine

I DVR'd the documentary "I Escaped a Cult" on the National Geographic Channel. Wow, totally eye opening and scary. Has anyone else watched the documentary?

I DVR'd the documentary "I Escaped a Cult" on the National Geographic Channel. Wow, totally eye opening and scary. Has anyone else watched the documentary?

Its a familiar story here in the PNW. Rose was saved by our local drag queens in Portlandia.

Its a familiar story here in the PNW. Rose was saved by our local drag queens in Portlandia.

Rose? Maybe there are multiple episodes? This one had Warren Jeffs nephew and a mother and daughter (Maura and Rebekah) who escaped the Aggressive Christianity Missions Training Corps,. I had no idea there were multiple episodes... I'll have to find the other ones.

Rose? Maybe there are multiple episodes? This one had Warren Jeffs nephew and a mother and daughter (Maura and Rebekah) who escaped the Aggressive Christianity Missions Training Corps,. I had no idea there were multiple episodes... I'll have to find the other ones.

Duh, I thought you were talking about Rose McGowan.

Duh, I thought you were talking about Rose McGowan.

That bacon bra has interfered with your ESP! Just kidding!!

I just found out (after Googling the title of the documentary) there are multiple episodes. Rose McGowan will be or has been on one of the episodes.

Would have been nice if the DVR guide had indicated which episode of the series I was watching... damn DVR guide!!!

Thanks for letting me know there is more tv I should be watching in the evening!

So glad this topic was posted. I was going to post about this documentary earlier. It was very eye opening because a lot of it was Gothard-esque. "Training" your children i.e. abusing them, making "idols" of things etc. It's scary how similar these cults are.

I found these articles and videos from the documentary:

http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2 ... he-greens/

http://tvblogs.nationalgeographic.com/2 ... lygamists/

• 6 months later...

This is showing right now (in Canada, anyway) on the National Geographic channel. Right now it is the grandson of FLDS Jeffs

I don't get National Geographic, but I'm sure I can find it on the interwebs somewhere. It sounds interesting. Joaquin Phoenix and his family were also a part of the Child of God cult years and years ago.

It was good if I remember what it was. It was horribly triggering for me though, I had to avoid the net for about a week because it was when my old members were trying to contact me.

I had no idea that Rose McGowan was tied to the same cult as the Phoenix children. I'll definitely have to put this series on my "watch immediately" list.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, any mention of Warren Jeffs makes me feel stabby. I read the book by Elissa Wall after she escaped/testified against him. Unreal. I hope he never gets out of prison.

it opens with Brent Jeffs telling part of the story of his abuse. That's intense. I'd read his book but even so, hearing it in his voice is worse.

Archived