IGNORED

wal-lla! vs Voila!

terranova

What drives me nuts is CARR-mel. No, it's ca-ra-mel.

omg, YES. Saying carrr-mul is really common here, and my children have picked it up. I refuse to give them caramel topping for their ice cream unless they say it properly.

There was a woman on another board who said loads of weird/funny stuff. She said "take it with a great assault" instead of a grain of salt, and once described herself as having "rigamortis" after swimming in cold water.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a question about "defraud." So the fundies say something immodest/mainstream defrauds them if they see it? Wouldn't that mean the immodest/ mainstream sight takes away the fraudulent belief they have about it and makes them see truth? I know they certainly do NOT believe that! ( or is my reasoning power impaired by my several late nights with a croupy toddler...?)

I know it's mostly spelled correctly and pronunced correctly by those who use it, but can I bitch about the ridiculous over use of the word "literally"? Cause I am literally going to punched something the next time I see/hear it used wrong again!

I also have to say because I read out of my age range most of my life, but had serious issues translating written word to spoken word, so much so I did a lot of work in school to try and help me with the problem, I misprounce words wrong fairly often :( I have gotten better but sometimes I do struggle with certain words.

I often hear English speaking people say 'Cu de grah' instead of coup de grace or lungeray / lingerie, masoose /masseuse

Guest Anonymous
I have a question about "defraud." So the fundies say something immodest/mainstream defrauds them if they see it? Wouldn't that mean the immodest/ mainstream sight takes away the fraudulent belief they have about it and makes them see truth? I know they certainly do NOT believe that! ( or is my reasoning power impaired by my several late nights with a croupy toddler...?)

I think it means that you (Christian women) are arousing them (Christian men) by your dress choices, and are therefore obtaining their sexual interest in you by deception. They live according to the understanding that your headship will have explained the rules to you and they venture out into public places because they trust you to comply. They have a right to walk down the street without having your breasts, legs, shoulders, hair and colour co-ordinated buttons forced into their faces, dontchaknow?! They are helpless males, driven by their impulses, and it is your job to cover yourself appropriately so you don't steal from them the pleasure that God intends them to have, when he gives to them the one and only bride that he chose for them while they were still being knit together in the womb.

I often hear English speaking people say 'Cu de grah' instead of coup de grace or lungeray / lingerie, masoose /masseuse

I'm guilty of masoose a lot of the time. I'm a French teacher and, when I'm speaking French, I would pronounce it masseuse. However, if I'm speaking with my anglophone friends, I'll pronounce it masoose. Same thing with filet. I went to dinner with my department a couple of years ago. My teaching partner ordered the filet mignon and I ordered the filay mignon. It kind of grates my ear to hear the shift in accent like that.

However, I think that when you have two language populations close to one another, it's hard not to appropriate each other's words. I grew up an anglogphone in a town a heartbeat away from the Acadian peninsula. The big thing when I was in high school was to say something was pitchay. We took the French word pitié (or faire pitié - to have compassion) and used it. For example, if my girlfriend broke up with her boyfriend and was upset, we would say that she was pitchay. Even my francophone friends would use it, with the horrible pronunciation, when they were speaking English.

I'm guilty of masoose a lot of the time. I'm a French teacher and, when I'm speaking French, I would pronounce it masseuse. However, if I'm speaking with my anglophone friends, I'll pronounce it masoose. Same thing with filet. I went to dinner with my department a couple of years ago. My teaching partner ordered the filet mignon and I ordered the filay mignon. It kind of grates my ear to hear the shift in accent like that.

However, I think that when you have two language populations close to one another, it's hard not to appropriate each other's words. I grew up an anglogphone in a town a heartbeat away from the Acadian peninsula. The big thing when I was in high school was to say something was pitchay. We took the French word pitié (or faire pitié - to have compassion) and used it. For example, if my girlfriend broke up with her boyfriend and was upset, we would say that she was pitchay. Even my francophone friends would use it, with the horrible pronunciation, when they were speaking English.

Living languages change and often words are adopted that in the original language mean something else.

It happens a lot in the Dutch language.

My Russian students always get a kick out learning new Russian words and slang co-opted from English. Their recent favorite: the word "prikol'no", which means "cool" in contemporary Russian slang, and is co-opted from the American "pretty cool."

I love language, love, love. Unfortunately for me my written is pretty poor. I am certainly better 'speaking' than writing. I swear!!

Flavoursome and flavourful. Two words I only heard after watching Food Network.

Everybody in my country says definAtely. Causing a whole country to misspell it.

Eczema. Eggzeeema or ex-sema?

Until I was 14 I thought muslin was pronounced like muslim. In fairness how often in your life do you drop muslin into a conversation?

People speaking Scottish who are not Scottish who say 'OCK EYE THE NOO' Because I say that as often as I say muslin. (But you nod and smile and say Very Good! Anyway)

Can't think of any others atm :lol:

My father was from Atkins, Arkansas. "That's Adkins," he told me "A-t-k-i-n-s." :lol:

Americans tend to pronounce the T as a "fast D" sound after certain consonants or between two vowels, and "hold" or drop the T after N (depending on the syllable stress).

omg, YES. Saying carrr-mul is really common here, and my children have picked it up. I refuse to give them caramel topping for their ice cream unless they say it properly.

There was a woman on another board who said loads of weird/funny stuff. She said "take it with a great assault" instead of a grain of salt, and once described herself as having "rigamortis" after swimming in cold water.

Both ways of saying caramel are technically proper, it just depends on your accent. Merriam-Webster sides with your kids :) http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/caramel

My kids and their friends always suffered from what we parents called "readers disease". They learned a lot of their advanced vocabulary from books so had no idea how certain words were pronounced and it sometimes required real effort not to laugh when their pronunciation was horribly mangled. My husband and I both had the same malady when we were young but our parents didn't bother to stifle their laughter.

This was me as well. I was reading books like Jane Eyre when I was nine or ten. I'd try out some of the words I'd learned on my mother, and she'd just correct me if I'd pronounced them wrong. I'm sure I made her snicker to herself now and then, though. :lol:

In general, fundy kids don't get exposed to that superset of their native language, but they probably hear a lot of words that they've never seen in print. Add in the mangled vocabulary that they acquire from reading other SOTDRT blogs, and you get non-words like "wallah" ,"definately", and "alot". Not to mention nonsense phrases like "for all intensive purposes. . . " In fairness, plenty of non-fundy bloggers use those words and phrases too. In fact, back when the internet was a very small place, one person's inadvertant misspelling or typo would become part of the in-group-speak for a particular newsgroup. "Viola" for "voilà" and "cow orker" for "coworker" persist to this day in certain dark corners of the internet.

Or my personal favourite: 'defiantly.' :?

I know it's mostly spelled correctly and pronunced correctly by those who use it, but can I bitch about the ridiculous over use of the word "literally"? Cause I am literally going to punched something the next time I see/hear it used wrong again!

So, what do you think about people who use really, very, honestly, truly as intensifiers? Do they also get punched?

I was born in Wausau Wisconsin not Warsaw Poland. My last name was pronounced with a long "O" and not Ow like now. Also the i before e, except after c rules apply too.

And my married name has a long O sound as well, not what ever some people try to embellish it with.

You gotta watch out for those beady-eyed moose!

nothing is as good/weird as picksburghese. yinz need to experience the true height of american dialect.

Tu chez.

(plus 2 xtra characters so my hilarious joke will submit)

It's touche'. What you wrote, tu chez, means "you in" , not "touched" as in "gotcha". You weren't educated at SOTDRT, were you?

Archived