IGNORED

wal-lla! vs Voila!

terranova

Speaking of French: Darby Sproul has "Je commes tortues" on G+. First I thought SOTDRT, but then I realized that she is quite smart for her age/being a fundie girl, so please tell me: It is meant to be funny, isn't it? Possibly a quote from somewhere?

Later I saw that she has the same on Twitter, only added by (I like tortues). But as far as my French goes it's "J'aime tortues". Comme is so not a verb! Ahhhhhhhh!

I'd guess she just translated it wrong, whether through a translator or just looking each word up. It is literally "I like turtles", but is completely wrong. That kind of thing is a pretty common error to make; I've seen some bad ones that way.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Taberhuit. Des maudits têtes carées (shaking head).

Did I write that correctly ma belle FakePigTails? My Acadian French would have been more ... um ... colourful and colloquial.

I'd guess she just translated it wrong, whether through a translator or just looking each word up. It is literally "I like turtles", but is completely wrong. That kind of thing is a pretty common error to make; I've seen some bad ones that way.

Ah, sure! :doh:

I am not a native speaker, so I didn't make the comme=like connection. Thanks.

I think it's funny when people who DO know it's "voila" are in a hurry and spell it "viola" instead. At least they get half-credit.

bloggingbeth.blogspot.com

I think the fundies know I HATE it when they do this and just do it to piss me off. :icon-twisted: :icon-twisted: :icon-twisted: :icon-twisted: :icon-twisted:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/voil%C3%A0 Here you go you stupid girl. Learn something. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Guest Anonymous

Ah, sure! :doh:

I am not a native speaker, so I didn't make the comme=like connection. Thanks.

I dunno, I speak some French and got the comme=like but initially still thought it HAD to be a funny quote from somewhere.... :P

I had only ever read "Wallah" before my foray into fundidom, and never, ever associated it with "Voila". I though it was a strange (to me) American term meaning "Yay!" or something....

Taberhuit. Des maudits têtes carées (shaking head).

Did I write that correctly ma belle FakePigTails? My Acadian French would have been more ... um ... colourful and colloquial.

I never heard of taberhuit but I don't know maybe they say that in Acady, In Québec, it would be Tabarnak, tabarouètte.

Also it's maudites. Québecors like to put everything feminine as a rule of thumb, and têtes is feminine too.

Somehow I have a feeling it is the latter. SOTDRT at work...

I don't think the SOTDRT taught her that it's a real French word that she's butchering there....

Some of the ones I hate most (and I've got family that uses 'em). Chester drawers (no such piece of furniture). Chase lounge instead of chaise lounge. And, my husband practically threw his hand over my mouth when a niece came back from a tour of Europe, showed us pictures, and pronounced everything incorrectly. I mean, she was THERE, listening to NATIVES say the names.

Another thing I hate, I've had teachers come into the store and ask for "that book by Soapaclese" or "Europeeyedoes". They were teachers for gods sakes.

Once, a mother asked me for the children's book "The Menstrual in the Tower". I almost choked. Just pronounced it back to here correctly "Yes, we do have a copy of The Minstrel in the Tower, right over here"

Some of the ones I hate most (and I've got family that uses 'em). Chester drawers (no such piece of furniture). Chase lounge instead of chaise lounge. And, my husband practically threw his hand over my mouth when a niece came back from a tour of Europe, showed us pictures, and pronounced everything incorrectly. I mean, she was THERE, listening to NATIVES say the names.

Another thing I hate, I've had teachers come into the store and ask for "that book by Soapaclese" or "Europeeyedoes". They were teachers for gods sakes.

Once, a mother asked me for the children's book "The Menstrual in the Tower". I almost choked. Just pronounced it back to here correctly "Yes, we do have a copy of The Minstrel in the Tower, right over here"

Not to be a bossyboots, but I think it's "chaise longue," not "lounge." I've been schooled on that before, so I share my edfication with you. :D

Guest Anonymous

Some people genuinely don't have an ear or eye for languages, in the same way that others don't have a basic sense of number or an affinity for art and design. That's different to poor learning & teaching, I think.

Not to be a bossyboots, but I think it's "chaise longue," not "lounge." I've been schooled on that before, so I share my edfication with you. :D

I am edified.

Funny thing, I checked my horrible spelling on many of the words, but not that one. Maybe it's because I'm such a horrible speller (dyslexic, yeah, that's my excuse) that this stuff bugs me so much.

Web search shows both spellings in usage. Humm, and we know the internet never gets anything wrong. But, at least I can pronounce them, if not spell them.

The stores could be wrong, but in the US you can find chaise lounges for sale all over the place.

Guest Anonymous
The stores could be wrong, but in the US you can find chaise lounges for sale all over the place.

:lol: Are they special fundie shops?

It's a chaise longue, meaning a chair that is long enough to rest your legs on.

:lol: Are they special fundie shops?

It's a chaise longue, meaning a chair that is long enough to rest your legs on.

*shudders* Lounge is not a word in the French language.

*shudders* Lounge is not a word in the French language.

I thought a lounge was kind of like a laid back bar... like lounging... I think it fits the purpose of a chaise longue...

You know in france, the blinkers on a car are called warnings. so yeah, transfer of words happen, sometimes spelling changes too.

Target, Sears, etc. I've seen the term chaise lounge since I was a child. I'm not saying it's right, but it's commonly used. Lounge because it's a lounge chair. I see Pottery Barn simply calls them chaises.

Perhaps the explanation below. It seems to possibly be such an old error that it is now common and acceptable usage.

Many visitors to the US are surprised to find that the name for the article of furniture is not only still known (in Britain, for example, it is now virtually obsolete outside historical contexts), but is indeed often called a chaise lounge (though by no means all Americans describe it thus). This spelling and pronunciation appears in dictionaries of American English and is now so established that no amount of remonstration, condemnation or ridicule will affect its status one jot.

The original form, chaise longue, is French, meaning “long chairâ€. Though the chaise lounge form is a classic example of folk etymology’s changing an odd foreign word into something more meaningful, in one way it’s hard to criticise — it is, after all, a seat that one lounges on.

And it’s an old error — I’ve found examples in American literature back into the 1850s. In the issue of Scribners Monthly for April 1876 appears this sentence, which suggests the confusion had even by then become common enough to need noting: “This particular ‘chaise longue’, or lounge, is said to be the one on which George Fox sleptâ€.

I knew someone who would say "cujos" instead of "kudos". I think she also typed "walla" instead of "voilà."

omg I am totally going to start praising people with Cujos.

:clap: Cujos, well said.

everything's better with rabies. :whistle:

I think my favorite fundie misspelling was Candy saying that something was true "from the gecko" (from the get-go."

Wallah (and all variations) is also quite annoying. Oh, and "oober."

omg I am totally going to start praising people with Cujos.

:clap: Cujos, well said.

everything's better with rabies. :whistle:

:lol: :dance:

Mmmmm . . . rabies foam -- almost as appetizing as Santorum.

Hey, with the whole Seamus-on-the-car-roof scandal, maybe we have a new definition for "Romney!"

Thanks to Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure, I can't say "Socrates" correctly without pausing a moment.

I submit to you one of the most egregious mispellings I've seen lately:

A FB acquaintance recently posted, asking what to do to "keep their whodeanie dog from getting out of its pen". :doh:

/I wanted fo facepalm, LOL and cry all at the same time.

Archived