IGNORED

The VF Heir is crowned!

GenerationCedarchip

I just got the announcement in my inbox - Dougie is handing over leadership of the Titanic Men and Boys and whatever to his son.

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/04/10054/

Not linking to everything because I'm sure it's been covered elsewhere, but the VF blog is an absolute snarkfest of Titanic proportions right now. So much bad taste I almost don't know where to start. Though having a fun, merry band called "The Third Class Boys" strikes me as a place to start. And having Virginia sing "The Good Ship Lollipop" at the Titanic celebration. Really?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
And having Virginia sing "The Good Ship Lollipop" at the Titanic celebration. Really?

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh My God, I just can't even...

Doug Phillips is a tool.

The transfer was accompanied by the ceremonial presentation to Joshua of a 1910 pocket watch used in the portrayal of John Jacob Astor during the Titanic 100. The actual Astor gold pocket watch bearing his initials was found on his person floating in the North Atlantic and was helpful in identifying the body of Astor.

Astor....richest man in the US, at the time. Who divorced his wife to marry an 18 year old when he was in his mid-40's. He was such a godly example for young men!

How many VF contributions paid for that replica watch? Go feed the poor, assholes. I'm sure the homeless of Branson would've enjoyed all that food at the the sinkfest more than the people's memories you desecrated.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

ETA: Doug rants against Marxism....then practically worships the richest man on the boat? :roll:

Astor also had a Harvard education, was involved in politics and believed in divorce...clearly these people just make up history to suit their needs at this point.

Virginia enjoys a little poetic license singing a song that was not actually composed for several decades after the Titanic, but it just seemed to fit very well with the evening and was enjoyed by all: The Good Ship Lollipop.

Words fail me.

Doug Phillips - You're a Tool :music-tool:

Oh, and Dougie - no one's fooled. :gay-imgay:

Virginia enjoys a little poetic license singing a song that was not actually composed for several decades after the Titanic, but it just seemed to fit very well with the evening and was enjoyed by all: The Good Ship Lollipop.

I've thrown away my toys, even my drum and train.

I wanna make some noise with real live aeroplanes.

Some day I'm going to fly, I'll be a pilot too.

And when I do, how would you like to be my crew?

Zomg, she want's a Man's Job, and to work outside the home!

.â€

The Christian Boys’ and Men’s Titanic Society was founded in 1997 with the goal of honoring the sacrifice of the heroes of the Titanic and communicating to the present generation the ongoing significance of the Christian ideals embodied in the principle of “women and children first.â€

Soooo.... he does know that "women and children first" isnt a christian ideal... and that it was hardly in full effect on the Titanic. It was RICH women and children first, which is why only half the kids on the ship survived. I'm guessing Dougie would be cool with the rich people going first, though since he's such an asshat.

Joshua Phillips said. “Our message is a timeless message. It is a message that the young men of my generation need to hear. It is a message that is not only about the duty of men to act sacrificially, but a reminder that the greatest example of sacrifice is that of Jesus Christ who died for his bride. I hope that I will be able to continue my father’s legacy as president of the CBMTS by perpetuating the vision and sharing the most important part of the Titanic story with many.â€

:shifty: HUH? Thats mightly catholic of you, joshie! The church is christ's bride in dougieland now? I kinda thought that christ died to save all of mankind buuuuttt... um...

OT but someone at Ithaca researched the demographics of the Titanic passengers, including how many women/men/children died and survived according to class. It's an interesting read because the author lists the survival rate for the male and female servants and crew on board the Titanic and notes the occupants of the launched life boats. Look carefully at the occupants of the lifeboats and what the author states in the discussion section because it clearly contradicts Doug's (and the VFs) notion that women and children were given preferential treatment at all times above men from all classes. Some notes in the discussion section (towards the bottom of the page):

"All of these early launched "First Class" lifeboats were notorious for being launched at less than half capacity. All of the lifeboats launched from the starboard First Class Deck had more men than women aboard".

"Women and children only" rule was applied on the port side of the ship; a "Women and children first" rule was applied on the starboard, with known exceptions for First Class men".

"Over half of the women in steerage perished".

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/titanic.html

edited because it's late

If the Titanic was a paragon of Christian virtue, then how would Dougie explain away the fact that the Titanic had its own kosher kitchen?

From the press release:

It was the largest, distinctively Christian, multi-day Titanic memorial event in the world

I will counter this with a quote from the TV Tropes entry on the Overly Narrow Superlative:

"This trope covers situations where something seems to be highly praised, but the praise is only relative to an extremely small — or intrinsically awful — group (often a group of one), rendering it meaningless. Sometimes the intent is for the praise to be taken seriously, but the more frequent implication is that there isn't any larger category relative to which it can apply, making it a Stealth Insult of sorts."

Jesus died for his bride? Did someone read The Da Vinci Code and really believe that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were a couple?

The Good Ship Lollipop? Now all I can see is Shirley Temple dancing and singing on the deck of the Titanic while the ship slowly sinks. I don't understand having a big festival of fun and celebrating more than 1,500 people dying. Having a rememberance event is undertandable but Dougie & friends seems to think this is like going to Disneyland. I think learning about it through movies, books/articles or real Titanic events is great but there has to be some acknowlegement that there is no joy to so many losing their lives. The whole giving of the watch thing is just in poor taste. These are the type of people that will be celebrating 9/11 years from now.

Jesus died for his bride? Did someone read The Da Vinci Code and really believe that Jesus and Mary Magdalene were a couple?

The Good Ship Lollipop? Now all I can see is Shirley Temple dancing and singing on the deck of the Titanic while the ship slowly sinks. I don't understand having a big festival of fun and celebrating more than 1,500 people dying. Having a rememberance event is undertandable but Dougie & friends seems to think this is like going to Disneyland. I think learning about it through movies, books/articles or real Titanic events is great but there has to be some acknowlegement that there is no joy to so many losing their lives. The whole giving of the watch thing is just in poor taste. These are the type of people that will be celebrating 9/11 years from now.

Exactly. There were/are most certainly heroes of 9/11, ones we know and ones we will never know. Its a high emotion event that has been in media and film... just like the Titanic. FUCK NO will there be a "party" at the top of a skyscraper or on an airplane "celebrating" the date. Nothing like twisting history to fit your tiny little world view and cramming it down the throats of your uneducated lemmings.

The Church is commonly called the Bride of Christ, it's not just a Catholic thing. The woman in the Song of Songs/Song of Solomon is often interpreted as representing the Church.

I've heard this before from a lot of fundies, that the Church is Jesus' Bride. There's some verse, but I'm on my phone and searching is kind of a pain.

The Church is commonly called the Bride of Christ, it's not just a Catholic thing. The woman in the Song of Songs/Song of Solomon is often interpreted as representing the Church.

What she said.

If the Titanic was a paragon of Christian virtue, then how would Dougie explain away the fact that the Titanic had its own kosher kitchen?

From the press release:

I will counter this with a quote from the TV Tropes entry on the Overly Narrow Superlative:

"This trope covers situations where something seems to be highly praised, but the praise is only relative to an extremely small — or intrinsically awful — group (often a group of one), rendering it meaningless. Sometimes the intent is for the praise to be taken seriously, but the more frequent implication is that there isn't any larger category relative to which it can apply, making it a Stealth Insult of sorts."

OOOH re: the kosher kitchen where did you find that out? my brother is a huge Titanic buff. ~He's a history buff, period, and one of his favorite eras is Edwardian, that and he was an extra in the movie... he's fascinated with the history. This tidbit would make his day! I just wanna link him to an article!

Doug Phillips is a tool.

*snort* are they actually READING it? like really READING it? because its um, obviously that its definitely "two lovers romping having possibly illicit definitely defrauding sex" not an allegory for churches.

Doug Phillips is a tool. (yay i got to say it twice!)

OOOH re: the kosher kitchen where did you find that out? my brother is a huge Titanic buff. ~He's a history buff, period, and one of his favorite eras is Edwardian, that and he was an extra in the movie... he's fascinated with the history. This tidbit would make his day! I just wanna link him to an article!

Doug Phillips is a tool.

I remember it from an article in a Chicago Jewish newspaper that came out around the time of the movie. Here's a more recent article.

http://www.jta.org/news/article/2012/04 ... ia-england

OT but someone at Ithaca researched the demographics of the Titanic passengers, including how many women/men/children died and survived according to class. It's an interesting read because the author lists the survival rate for the male and female servants and crew on board the Titanic and notes the occupants of the launched life boats. Look carefully at the occupants of the lifeboats and what the author states in the discussion section because it clearly contradicts Doug's (and the VFs) notion that women and children were given preferential treatment at all times above men from all classes. Some notes in the discussion section (towards the bottom of the page):

"All of these early launched "First Class" lifeboats were notorious for being launched at less than half capacity. All of the lifeboats launched from the starboard First Class Deck had more men than women aboard".

"Women and children only" rule was applied on the port side of the ship; a "Women and children first" rule was applied on the starboard, with known exceptions for First Class men".

"Over half of the women in steerage perished".

http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/titanic.html

edited because it's late

Thanks. Horrifying.

*snort* are they actually READING it? like really READING it? because its um, obviously that its definitely "two lovers romping having possibly illicit definitely defrauding sex" not an allegory for churches.

Doug Phillips is a tool. (yay i got to say it twice!)

Meh, I've read it (yes, all of it, and various translations) and I think it's *both*. Sure, SoS is sexy but it's about deep love as much as it is about sex.

Meh, I've read it (yes, all of it, and various translations) and I think it's *both*. Sure, SoS is sexy but it's about deep love as much as it is about sex.

But you can have deep love and hot sex. The 2 are definitely not mutually exclusive. How I always read it was newly weds or engaged couple gettin' doooowwwwwn :) When i said illicit, I imagined a situation where they yanno, sneak off for an afternoon when they're supposed to be doing other things. :)

Edited to add: Doug Philips is a tool. (this never gets old!!! LOL )

I'll echo ilovetchotchkes in saying Doug Phillips is a tool.

Oddly enough, women and children first usually led to a greater loss of life in a shipwreck as men were typically stronger than were women and especially children. It had not been said until the Titanic disaster and it wasn't really followed then.

Sinkfest was just plain tacky!!

Another fundy dad setting up a business for his young son. J. Teef must be so proud of all he's accomplished at such a young age--I mean, he's a CEO, y'all! :roll:

I wonder if Dougie's getting the boy ready to go a courtin'? This could be interesting...

So, what exactly does this society "do" other than host annual dinners? Does it raise money to support causes that actually support women and children? Somehow, I doubt it.

Archived