IGNORED

Female Feticide on the Rise in Ontario, Canada.

alysee

I'd argue that it's part and parcel of the same sexist oppression.

If actual pregnant women are being coerced into unwanted medical procedures and abortions - that's real oppression and violence against women.

If extreme gender preference means that girls are more likely to be killed at birth, or abandoned, or deprived of food and other resources - well, that's real violence and oppression.

I agree that it's all part of the same oppression, but freely chosen female feticide is still on the "not being inflicted on anyone" end of that spectrum. Meanwhile, anti-choice groups are jumping all over it and trying to use this form of sexism to oppress women...in the name of stopping sexism...

I also agree with you about counsellors at clinics asking more questions screening for coercion when that comes up, but I would be weary of assuming this "all pregnant women fall in love with their fetus" thing is biological as opposed to a cultural construct. I imagine if you've grown up accepting that there's only a 50/50 chance you'll be keeping any pregnancy of yours past the second trimester, you'd take a more pragmatic view of it until then.

Just to add to the conversation. Apparently six hospitals near the largest South Asian parts of the city won't reveal. http://www.thestar.com/news/article/116 ... sound?bn=1

Thanks for finding that one.

“We need to find that evidence and if it is true, we need to help the girls,†he said. “Ultimately, I think (sonographers) not telling is really trying to err on the safe side to protect the unborn.â€

- The manager of diagnostic imaging at Rouge Valley hospital

Remind me never to go to Rouge Valley if I'm pregnant and in Toronto.

Also, since when is the fetus' sex "the baby's gender"? You can do better than this, Star...

The Star article uses fetus throughout, except for that one line where it's likely that "baby" was the word used by Dr. Goh. The Star has a record of being 100% pro-choice.

Interesting that two medical organizations have come up with conflicting recommendations re disclosure of gender.

Here's another question to consider: is the gender of the fetus "medical" information at all, absent concerns of sex-linked genetic disorders, or is finding out the gender simply a perk? Is it relevant that in Ontario, the cost of the ultrasounds is completely paid by taxpayers? I know, for example, that if the gender isn't clear at your one-and-only comprehensive ultrasound, you can't get another ultrasound unless there is a medical issue (my babies were breach, so we happened to get the information in explicit detail).

The Star article uses fetus throughout, except for that one line where it's likely that "baby" was the word used by Dr. Goh. The Star has a record of being 100% pro-choice.

Interesting that two medical organizations have come up with conflicting recommendations re disclosure of gender.

Here's another question to consider: is the gender of the fetus "medical" information at all, absent concerns of sex-linked genetic disorders, or is finding out the gender simply a perk? Is it relevant that in Ontario, the cost of the ultrasounds is completely paid by taxpayers? I know, for example, that if the gender isn't clear at your one-and-only comprehensive ultrasound, you can't get another ultrasound unless there is a medical issue (my babies were breach, so we happened to get the information in explicit detail).

Which is why I was surprised at the Star. They only used the word "baby" twice when not paraphrasing Dr. Goh, but they conflated gender with sex throughout most of the article, which was my main problem. The Star is usually really good about covering trans issues respectfully, so I assumed their style guide would cover gender vs. sex.

Based on the hospital regulations and the rule you mentioned, it sounds like the sex is both medical information and a perk. I don't think anyone could argue, in Ontario's context at least, that it's info parents have a right to. At private imaging clinics, the technicians have to forward the information the information to a doctor and can't tell you anything, so even if you showed up and tried to pay cash you'd be wasting your time.

Archived