IGNORED

Anyone heard of Torry Hansen?

deelaem

I just caught the story on her. Apparently she adopted a boy from the Russia, had him for a period of time, then put him (by himself) on a plane back to Russia with a note pinned to his clothes. The note apparently said that he had too many problems and she didn't want to be his mother anymore. There were allegations of educational neglect as there were no records of her having registered him for public or home school. This whole thing smells fundie to me. Anyone have deeper info on this case?

I just caught the story on her. Apparently she adopted a boy from the Russia, had him for a period of time, then put him (by himself) on a plane back to Russia with a note pinned to his clothes. The note apparently said that he had too many problems and she didn't want to be his mother anymore. There were allegations of educational neglect as there were no records of her having registered him for public or home school. This whole thing smells fundie to me. Anyone have deeper info on this case?

I heard about the case on many adoptive blogs, but I don't know if there is a fundie background. On these blogs the authors said that many adopted children (internal or overseas adoption alike) are badly traumatized and have attachment disorders and are very, very difficult to bring up. Apparently, there is not a lot of education of the adoptive parents before they bring the child home and relatively little support afterwards, so some of the parents end up really desparate.

I think there was quite a discussion about it over on the old board at the time it happened? I'm not 100% sure though. I tried to do a search, but couldn't get it to work. I don't think she was fundie if I'm remembering the right person.

I heard about the case on many adoptive blogs, but I don't know if there is a fundie background. On these blogs the authors said that many adopted children (internal or overseas adoption alike) are badly traumatized and have attachment disorders and are very, very difficult to bring up. Apparently, there is not a lot of education of the adoptive parents before they bring the child home and relatively little support afterwards, so some of the parents end up really desparate.

Unfortunately stuff similar to this has happened more than a few times. People don't get the education/information or support they need to adopt a child either from within their own country or internationally, or they ignore the information given to them, so they aren't prepared for a child with with issues like PTSD or attachment disorder. They get into a mindset that once the child is with them everything will be unicorns and bunny rabbits, and end up in over their head. I'm sure there are a few of these cases where the parents would have halted the process before the child arrived if they had been informed about what adopting an older child really means.

Guest Anonymous
I think there was quite a discussion about it over on the old board at the time it happened? I'm not 100% sure though. I tried to do a search, but couldn't get it to work. I don't think she was fundie if I'm remembering the right person.

I'm with eaglemom. I remember a thread about it, but I haven't been able to find the magical combination of search terms to locate it.

It's now a big deal in Russia, whether to adopt kids out to America. Many Russians, including former supporters of it (such as the big-name Pavel Astakhov) are now resolutely against it and trying to get it made illegal. If that happened, it would be a huge pity. However bad American fundie children's lives are, the poorest Russian children almost always live much worse.

Oh yeah, I heard of that! :evil:

What a bizarre thing.

Recently read that a court ordered her to pay for the child's care in Russia until he's 18.

Good. She completely uprooted him, changed his name to "Justin" (he was 6, I don't think it's healthy to change to 1st name of a 6 yr-old UNLESS he asks for it himself), homeschooled him. She seemed a bit fundie-light. She was living with him and her mother (I mean her own mother, the kid's adopted grandma).

Adoption relinquishment happen, even though I've heard stupid reasons for some of these, but to send a 7 year-old alone on a plane to Moscow with a note, like one would send back a scratched DVD back to Amazon?? Good that she has some $$ consequences.

Archived