IGNORED

Together for the Gospel Conference: A Super Manly Conference

Gizmola

t4g.org/

My colleague informed me of a conference that's in our town presently: Together for the Gospel. Of course, it's evangelical, (predominantly) white, men:

How Together for the Gospel began

Together for the Gospel began as a friendship between four pastors. These friends differed on issues like baptism and the charismatic gifts. But they were committed to standing together for the main thing—the gospel of Jesus Christ.

So they began a conference in 2006 to serve one main purpose: to encourage other pastors to stand together for the same gospel. The conference was repeated in 2008 and 2010 as more and more Church leaders discovered they shared this ambition. T4G has provided them with an opportunity to connect and begin building those pastoral friendships and networks.

T4G is convinced that the gospel of Jesus Christ has been misrepresented, misunderstood, and marginalized in many Churches and among those who proclaim the name of Christ. Therefore, the goal of these friendships, conferences, and networks is to reaffirm this central doctrine of the Christian faith and to encourage local Churches to do the same.

The four long-time friends, Mark Dever, Ligon Duncan, C. J. Mahaney, and Albert Mohler, have asked several friends to join them in 2012. Thabiti Anyabwile and John Piper will return. And joining all of them for the first time for main sessions will be Matt Chandler, Kevin DeYoung, and David Platt.

For a more detailed explanation of T4G’s theological affirmations and denials, click here.

In their Affirmations & Denials, they have this beautiful gem:

Article XVII

We affirm that God calls his people to display his glory in the reconciliation of the nations within the Church, and that God’s pleasure in this reconciliation is evident in the gathering of believers from every tongue and tribe and people and nation. We acknowledge that the staggering magnitude of injustice against African-Americans in the name of the Gospel presents a special opportunity for displaying the repentance, forgiveness, and restoration promised in the Gospel. We further affirm that evangelical Christianity in America bears a unique responsibility to demonstrate this reconciliation with our African-American brothers and sisters.

We deny that any Church can accept racial prejudice, discrimination, or division without betraying the Gospel.

I would bet dollars to donuts they WOULD discriminate against homosexuals.

And, of course, they just can't help but let women know to stay in their place (bolding, italics are my edit):

Article XVI

We affirm that the Scripture reveals a pattern of complementary order between men and women, and that this order is itself a testimony to the Gospel, even as it is the gift of our Creator and Redeemer. We also affirm that all Christians are called to service within the body of Christ, and that God has given to both men and women important and strategic roles within the home, the Church, and the society. We further affirm that the teaching office of the Church is assigned only to those men who are called of God in fulfillment of the biblical teachings and that men are to lead in their homes as husbands and fathers who fear and love God.

We deny that the distinction of roles between men and women revealed in the Bible is evidence of mere cultural conditioning or a manifestation of male oppression or prejudice against women. We also deny that this biblical distinction of roles excludes women from meaningful ministry in Christ’s kingdom. We further deny that any Church can confuse these issues without damaging its witness to the Gospel.

If only today weren't the last day and I didn't have to work - I'd like to get dolled up and go defraud them just to mess with 'em. My colleagues, however, were quite amazed that I knew as much about the patriarchal evangelical movement that I do - Thanks to FJ!

There is a very good but lengthy post today on The Wartburg Watch re T4G.

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2012/04/11/ ... ne-at-t4g/

Did not break link as dee at TWW seems to be a fan of FJ. If you want me to break it anyway, LMK.

And this recent WW post re T4G really shook me to the core, as there is a movement trending in the SBC and T4G toward the belief in the ETERNAL subordination of women to men. Being brought up Plymouth Brethren, it was deeply ingrained in me that women were to submit submit submit (not just to her husband, but ALL men) and even at my age of nearly 54, that lie has had a strong hold on me. Then I read this? ETERNALLY? No frikkin' way. I am OFF the fence.

http://thewartburgwatch.com/2012/04/09/ ... misnomers/

Article XVI

[...] We deny that the distinction of roles between men and women revealed in the Bible is evidence of mere cultural conditioning or a manifestation of male oppression or prejudice against women. We also deny that this biblical distinction of roles excludes women from meaningful ministry in Christ’s kingdom. We further deny that any Church can confuse these issues without damaging its witness to the Gospel.

At this point, doesn't some FJer more wise in these matters than I am provide a list of women in the Bible who preached, taught others, went away from home, etc etc etc? Why does adherence to the Bible inevitably leave out all of those examples?

Archived