IGNORED

Misunderstanding Atheists

Kitty

The dumbest thing I've ever seen on Facebook:

By not believing in something, you in turn actually do believe in it. It's called rebelling. Half of the idiots that make up this world think it's cool to say you don't believe in God. We all know you DO believe there is a higher being by the name of God or you'd have no opinion on it. You provide people with common sense a good laugh though.

I don't even know where to begin. Why do people spout such bullshit about atheism? Why assume we're all idiots or rebels without causes?

This comes after my mother told me that I turned "extreme" by not believing in God. Like, what the fuck?

That's like saying people who don't believe in unicorns are extreme, and are rebelling against unicorns when they really do believe in them.

I'm split on whether this should go in Snark or Chatter, so if it pleases you mods, feel free to move it.

So I'm assuming this person REALLY believes that the clouds are made of cotton candy and birds shit Skittles and piss 7-UP? I mean after all, "by not believing in something, you in turn actually do believe in it"?

That statement is so stupid, it almost leaves you speechless. Does the commentor not realize that he or she disbelieves in many things? They believe in a Christian god but not the dieties of the Norse pantheon, for example. By their reasoning, they actually believe in Thor and Loki.

I don't believe the author of the original quote is a bright green ogre that uses the bones of small children as toothpicks.

Am I doing it right? ;)

So I'm assuming this person REALLY believes that the clouds are made of cotton candy and birds shit Skittles and piss 7-UP? I mean after all, "by not believing in something, you in turn actually do believe in it"?

Best comment!

It is amazing how people want the world to REALLY think like them. It's also sad.

That statement is so stupid, it almost leaves you speechless. Does the commentor not realize that he or she disbelieves in many things? They believe in a Christian god but not the dieties of the Norse pantheon, for example. By their reasoning, they actually believe in Thor and Loki.

Indeed. I've long been partial to the "we all don't believe in some gods, I just happen to not believe in one more god than you do" explanation. "The way you feel about the Hindu creation story, is the way I feel about the Christian creation story" similarly. They DO know the feeling of not believing.

That is some fuckwittery going on there for sure. The OP on facebook definitely lacks common sense.

So if I say I don't believe in the tooth fairy or unicorns, does that mean I really DO believe in them? WTF

I DO NOT BELIEVE THAT I WILL WIN THE NEXT MEGA MILLIONS JACKPOT.

There. Now I'm sure to be rich! right?

I do not believe that you will give me half of your winnings :pray:

Indeed. I've long been partial to the "we all don't believe in some gods, I just happen to not believe in one more god than you do" explanation. "The way you feel about the Hindu creation story, is the way I feel about the Christian creation story" similarly. They DO know the feeling of not believing.

That works right up until you meet those Christians who actually do believe in those gods, but believe they were actually Satan/demons leading people astray. :roll:

That works right up until you meet those Christians who actually do believe in those gods, but believe they were actually Satan/demons leading people astray. :roll:

Are there actually Christians who believe that? That's nuts.

Are there actually Christians who believe that? That's nuts.

I've met them and the more they talk, the less impressed I am with their supposedly omnipotent god.

If I had £1 the amount of times I have seen Christians spout this bullshit, I'd be a very rich woman. I really wish Christians (and it generally IS Christians) would stop telling atheists like me what I think. I know pretty well what I think. I think they are full of shit and their deity is nothing more than a figment of their overactive imagination.

If I had £1 the amount of times I have seen Christians spout this bullshit, I'd be a very rich woman. I really wish Christians (and it generally IS Christians) would stop telling atheists like me what I think. I know pretty well what I think. I think they are full of shit and their deity is nothing more than a figment of their overactive imagination.

This, only I think mythology and theism started off as a way to explain things science couldn't, but then grew to include moral bullshit, and because we now have science and technology to figure things out, people cling to God because they've been taught to, and whip him out to spew moral bullshit.

This is like the bastard cousin of the "you're atheist/agnostic so you must HATE God!" thought process. Uh, to hate something, I have to believe in it's existance, doll. Someone needs a logic and philosophy tutorial.

By not believing in something, you in turn actually do believe in it. It's called rebelling. Half of the idiots that make up this world think it's cool to say you don't believe in God. We all know you DO believe there is a higher being by the name of God or you'd have no opinion on it. You provide people with common sense a good laugh though.

I'm willing to bet this commenter doesn't believe in evolution. Guess they do after all.

This is like the bastard cousin of the "you're atheist/agnostic so you must HATE God!" thought process. Uh, to hate something, I have to believe in it's existance, doll. Someone needs a logic and philosophy tutorial.

Which in itself is the bastard son of "You're atheist because you worship Satan" school of thought.

Why can't these people just accept that there are some people who don't have belief nor faith in any deity?

Which in itself is the bastard son of "You're atheist because you worship Satan" school of thought.

Why can't these people just accept that there are some people who don't have belief nor faith in any deity?

"You're atheist because you worship Satan" is actually not one I've ever heard, but it's equally ridiculous as "you're atheist because you hate God". To experience hate of something, wouldn't you have to believe it exists? I'm not an atheist, but I imagine atheists have no particular feelings towards God(s) except he/she/it is imaginary. I happen to not believe in leprechauns or Santa Clause, but that doesn't mean I HATE them.

Wait, does this mean I do actually believe in leprechauns and Santa Clause and am just rebelling against them? I'm confused :lol:

Hmm. I bet that person doesn't believe that they're wrong. And doesn't believe that they're the antichrist. And doesn't believe that they're a total fool. I bet they also don't believe that there are gremlins in their closet who kill and eat self righteous, arrogant assholes.

oh, that is sick. I DON'T believe I was going to marry my firstborn son. dear shit..

question, so does that mean that you don't believe in something if you really do?

"This makes one dream-- 'ca fait rever' as Flaubert used to say when faced with some abysmal stupidity."

(Thanks, Vladimir Nabokov, for the right words as always.)

I've actually had Christians use this line of 'reasoning' on me. They seem to think they are being rather clever, and just don't get it when you explain how idiotic their argument is. Same with the whole Pascals wager bit.

Guest Anonymous
Hmm. I bet that person doesn't believe that they're wrong. And doesn't believe that they're the antichrist. And doesn't believe that they're a total fool. I bet they also don't believe that there are gremlins in their closet who kill and eat self righteous, arrogant assholes.

Where, where? I want one for a pet!

Archived