IGNORED

Razing Ruth's niece adopted by same sex couple

contrary

aimee, why are you getting so defensive? Austin just pointed out that you seemed to have a "high degree of worry" over this issue, which it definitely sounds like you do. And that's fine for you, but it's not an all or nothing situation. Austin may not have a need to go to the extent that you do to protect her information, and that's fine for her. Don't act like she's a naive fool because she may not feel the need to take as many precautions as you do. I think most people are aware of how their information gets out there and what it can be used for. Some people are more concerned about it than others, for varying reasons.

I personally take some precautions, but I don't go over the top. I'm not having an affair or being stalked or applying for babysitting jobs, so I couldn't care less if the guy at Kroger sees that I'm buying a bottle of wine.

ETA: Nice catch, anniec!

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a funny story about using my cat's name. So a fakish name can be a problem also.

Years ago, I listed my phone in the cat's name. He had a different last name so it was easy to tell the soliciting phone calls also. It went well for a few years until someone stole my cat's identity. They first simply bought some furniture and then didn't pay for it. Several rounds with collections agencies ensued. Then they somehow managed to buy a car! Lots of calls, lots of demands for my real info (refused to give it out), and finally a guy with a summons at the front door. I had kept telling all of these people that no my cat had not bought a new car and really I'd notice if he had tried to do that. So guy at front door gets told to wait and I go get cat. Tell him to please go ahead and serve the cat and I can't wait to have to make arrangements with the court for the cat to appear. He turned beet red and left. I really wanted to take Mr. Cat to court in his carrier and plop him on the table for them to try to sue. I still don't know what lax person didn't do enough due diligence on that car loan to realize the person signing the papers was not "real."

Please tell me the cat's name was Mischief McWhiskers or something. You don't have to say what it was, but if it is something like that, it totally makes my day.

No, Mr. Cat's name was Abner Watson. I mean really who names a child Abner these days? If it had been as you suggested that would have been truly both funny and pitiful. They did have the excuse that it was a real human name and there was a phone number listed with his name but a quick credit check would have revealed that Mr. Cat had no credit history.

I think all aimee has told us is that it's easier for people to be creepy stalkers and that there are more ways to get caught if you are cheating on your SO. I don't think this is news to anybody.

Whoa... you're sounding like a weird spammer now.... :lol:

Just in case you are for real: I'm guessing that your forum email addy isn't your 'real' one, but fyi, it is visible to everyone on here and you can remove it if you wish....

I don't know why I wouldn't be "real." I spent some time in the trenches at call centers and know what kind of shenanigans dishonest people can get up to. I also know ways around rules to use fake identifying info and thought someone be interested. My mistake.

And no, my forum email addy isn't my real one...I'm not daft enough to use a genuine address for situations such as this. It's a throwaway, but thanks.

See that, someone shared information with me that I might be interested in and I was appreciative, not combative. What a concept.

aimee, why are you getting so defensive? Austin just pointed out that you seemed to have a "high degree of worry" over this issue, which it definitely sounds like you do. And that's fine for you, but it's not an all or nothing situation. Austin may not have a need to go to the extent that you do to protect her information, and that's fine for her. Don't act like she's a naive fool because she may not feel the need to take as many precautions as you do. I think most people are aware of how their information gets out there and what it can be used for. Some people are more concerned about it than others, for varying reasons.

I personally take some precautions, but I don't go over the top. I'm not having an affair or being stalked or applying for babysitting jobs, so I couldn't care less if the guy at Kroger sees that I'm buying a bottle of wine.

ETA: Nice catch, anniec!

Nice catch? Not so much, since only a fool would use a genuine email address to register for a forum.

I don't believe I am being defensive at all. If anyone feels they have all their private info under control, that's good enough for me. Some people have no need to worry, some do. I believe I may have said that Austin was lucky to have no worries about such things. I wasn't being sarcastic or cheeky at all...some people live their lives out in the open and that's grand. I'm not here to judge. I was in no way suggesting Austin needed to change her own habits, or that anyone here should do as I say. I was merely sharing information in case someone did have need for caution. That doesn't make me paranoid or overly worried etc. It makes me eager to share to protect someone's ass.

I do not think that anyone here is a naive fool. I think there may be people in the general population who haven't given this much thought and I'm happy to share what I've learned. That doesn't mean I think they are fools but any means.

I know people like to use fake information on shit that might not amount to much, so I thought I would share the best ways to get around that. In my circles it's not common information but I guess the freejinger population has nothing to learn.

I think all aimee has told us is that it's easier for people to be creepy stalkers and that there are more ways to get caught if you are cheating on your SO. I don't think this is news to anybody.

Creepy stalkers abound, true that.

I also took the time to give some pointers on how to successfully use a fake identity. I also took the time to give you some pointers on how to protect the points you earn.

Huge fucking waste of time, I get it. Sorry to have snatched a portion of your day from you.

Amiee, since you have all this first hand knowledge of people breaching security and privacy for nefarious purposes, why haven't you reported them? Is there some Canadian ruling that makes what they are doing legal? Because, to me, it sounds like they'd be breaking the law. Doesn't that make you just as culpable?

I don't know why I wouldn't be "real." I spent some time in the trenches at call centers and know what kind of shenanigans dishonest people can get up to. I also know ways around rules to use fake identifying info and thought someone be interested. My mistake.

And no, my forum email addy isn't my real one...I'm not daft enough to use a genuine address for situations such as this. It's a throwaway, but thanks.

See that, someone shared information with me that I might be interested in and I was appreciative, not combative. What a concept.

No, but you're being super passive-aggressive so same diff. :roll:

Okay, I surrender. The thread belongs to y'all. I'm not gonna bang my head against this wall anymore. I'm an asshole with nothing of import to say. Congratulate yourself for wearing me down. You win! Message received! Roger that! Loud and clear! I guess this is what foe lists are for! Be careful out there, kids!

Wow, this is very twitchy-making thread. :(

I work in the public sector and I have ALWAYS been told from Day 1, when I worked in various different areas, "Telling ANYONE about someone's personal details is gross misconduct." And in some areas, people do try to find out.

But you would never say. I don't know anyone who would. It would a. make you lose your job and b. just be wrong and icky. I have a big gob ;) and even I know that.

Okay, I surrender. The thread belongs to y'all. I'm not gonna bang my head against this wall anymore. I'm an asshole with nothing of import to say. Congratulate yourself for wearing me down. You win! Message received! Roger that! Loud and clear! I guess this is what foe lists are for! Be careful out there, kids!

What on earth...?

Who peed in everyone's cereal this morning?!

So I don't get an answer to my question? How surprising. :roll:

So I don't get an answer to my question? How surprising. :roll:

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware you were in a position to demand anything of me but I will humor you so that your eyes may stop rolling. I'll get to it while I say, one last time, I really don't know why I'm a paranoid asshole for trying to share information. Sharing information is not the same thing as assuming everyone around me is hearing that information for the first time. In trying to be helpful I've been treated like a dick and I'm just worn out by the whole thing. So yeah, you guys win and this is the last I'll address the matter. I've been a faithful LJ lurker since the old yuku board days but the attitude that gets thrown around these days is boggling to me. I think it's kind of sad actually. Anyway, I said I would address your post and I will. Beyond that, I figure info on my real interests (Meredith, Lina and The Zsu) can be accessed elsewhere. FJ doesn't hold a patent on fundie snark.

For one, you assume I am referring to incidents that happened in Canada. I honestly don't know why you would assume that, but it's not correct. You also assume that everyone who steps out of line gets away with it but that's not true either. In fact, most of the "oh no you did not do that" stories were out there because people got nailed for it. But there are the smart cheeky bastards who don't advertise their shenanigans so what is there to report? You also assume that before I retired, in the course of my employment career I have stood by, doing nothing, while people are taking the piss. That's not true either. Finally, you assume that people in positions of authority WANT to know their underlings are taking the piss. Sometimes doing the right thing just isn't on the agenda of the upper echelon because it takes a lot of time and money to set things right and it can call the company's reputation into question. Sometimes things are swept under the rug and there isn't anything to be done about it.

I feel I have addressed your question to the best of my ability and now that I'm truly over the top sick of this whole thing, this post will have to suffice. I'm no longer out to prove a darn thing so I'm comfortable with anything that might be said after I exit stage left.

But then, I'm a fake spammer (and former FJ account holder) who is a worrisome liar, so, yanno, take what you read with a grain of salt. Besides, there are people here who have already made it clear they know everything there is to say about this subject and I've not informed them of anything they didn't already know, so do please direct all queries and objections to them since they have the same insight as I do.

I have a funny story about using my cat's name. So a fakish name can be a problem also.

Years ago, I listed my phone in the cat's name. He had a different last name so it was easy to tell the soliciting phone calls also. It went well for a few years until someone stole my cat's identity. They first simply bought some furniture and then didn't pay for it. Several rounds with collections agencies ensued. Then they somehow managed to buy a car! Lots of calls, lots of demands for my real info (refused to give it out), and finally a guy with a summons at the front door. I had kept telling all of these people that no my cat had not bought a new car and really I'd notice if he had tried to do that. So guy at front door gets told to wait and I go get cat. Tell him to please go ahead and serve the cat and I can't wait to have to make arrangements with the court for the cat to appear. He turned beet red and left. I really wanted to take Mr. Cat to court in his carrier and plop him on the table for them to try to sue. I still don't know what lax person didn't do enough due diligence on that car loan to realize the person signing the papers was not "real."

o m g. Laughing so hard.

'Always gotta love those who shit on the carpet, throw their temper tantrum and yell their 'good bye's / "surrender", only to just keep on coming back anyway.

Learn how to flounce, you fucking tatertot trolls! We don't need to see seventeen serial flounces because you feel you have such imporatant last words to impart on an online forum where you're acting like a petulant child.

I almost didn't want to read the latest and was thinking, "When is this EVER going to end?" Going on and on like OCD out of control. Kind of sad actually because the poster started out with an amusing point about privacy. It didn't occur to me that netiquette called for a flounce and it just wasn't happening. We were doing pretty well on the thread before that some of us doubting Ruth and some of us not but all managing quite civilly.

BTW, love the cat story. Liked to have seen that cat in small claims court.

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware you were in a position to demand anything of me but I will humor you so that your eyes may stop rolling. I'll get to it while I say, one last time, I really don't know why I'm a paranoid asshole for trying to share information. Sharing information is not the same thing as assuming everyone around me is hearing that information for the first time. In trying to be helpful I've been treated like a dick and I'm just worn out by the whole thing. So yeah, you guys win and this is the last I'll address the matter. I've been a faithful LJ lurker since the old yuku board days but the attitude that gets thrown around these days is boggling to me. I think it's kind of sad actually. Anyway, I said I would address your post and I will. Beyond that, I figure info on my real interests (Meredith, Lina and The Zsu) can be accessed elsewhere. FJ doesn't hold a patent on fundie snark.

For one, you assume I am referring to incidents that happened in Canada. I honestly don't know why you would assume that, but it's not correct. You also assume that everyone who steps out of line gets away with it but that's not true either. In fact, most of the "oh no you did not do that" stories were out there because people got nailed for it. But there are the smart cheeky bastards who don't advertise their shenanigans so what is there to report? You also assume that before I retired, in the course of my employment career I have stood by, doing nothing, while people are taking the piss. That's not true either. Finally, you assume that people in positions of authority WANT to know their underlings are taking the piss. Sometimes doing the right thing just isn't on the agenda of the upper echelon because it takes a lot of time and money to set things right and it can call the company's reputation into question. Sometimes things are swept under the rug and there isn't anything to be done about it.

I feel I have addressed your question to the best of my ability and now that I'm truly over the top sick of this whole thing, this post will have to suffice. I'm no longer out to prove a darn thing so I'm comfortable with anything that might be said after I exit stage left.

But then, I'm a fake spammer (and former FJ account holder) who is a worrisome liar, so, yanno, take what you read with a grain of salt. Besides, there are people here who have already made it clear they know everything there is to say about this subject and I've not informed them of anything they didn't already know, so do please direct all queries and objections to them since they have the same insight as I do.

Wow, that's about the longest non-answer I've ever seen. I assumed you were referring to Canada, because that's where you've said you are from. Also, I never said that you are a fake spammer, but I do think you've made up all these scenarios to fit your position, because you seem a little bat-shit insane and paranoid, to be honest. Can they happen? Absolutely. In fact, I don't doubt that you've heard/read/imagined all of these things at one point or another. Maybe you even convinced yourself that you know each and every thing you wrote is 100% true.

Do I really think you personally know of all the instances you mentioned? No fucking way. And if you truly did know of all of these things happing in your workplace/field, then you should have damn well done something about it.

Archived