IGNORED

Sarcastic commenter, or oversensitive fundie?

Witsec1

Visionary Womanhood has a post by a woman named Chelsey Hall.The gist is that God and George Washington want you to vote the way your headship tells you. Also she is proud that she and her headship are one-issue voters. In the comments, one woman asks, what if your conscience tells you to vote for a different candidate than your husband. Chelsey Hall pours cold water on the idea that women can have a conscience or moral reasoning. Do what your husband tells you, even if he tells you to do something obviously wrong. It will all work out because the only way for a married woman to obey God is to obey her husband.

Then this exchange breaks out:

#

Sue M. says:

April 7, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Chelsey,

Sorry that I missed the top of your post where you said “in our household this is how we voteâ€.

This is the first time I ever heard of household voting in political elections before. I know that some denominations require household voting in church elections because an old friend of mine is a member of one of them. My denomination doesn’t. However, I think if anyone asked one of our (Anglican) priests about household voting for either political or church elections they would say they that didn’t agree with it, but it wasn’t wrong and should be a matter of individual conscience between the couple and God.

Also, thanks for the history lesson about how household voting began. I must not have been listening the day they discussed that topic in American History class. And believe me, I’m old enough to have taken American History before it became politically correct. ;)

#

Chelsey says:

April 9, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Sue,

I’ve never personally known any denominations that “require†household voting. That’s a new one to me. :) We don’t vote this way because someone tells us we have to, but simply because it makes sense and lines up with biblical submission. But, of course, it is a decision, as you alluded to, that each couple has to decide how they want to handle. A husband and wife should discuss it, and then a wife should humbly submit to her husband if he wants his wife to vote with him. :)

I’m not sure what history lesson you are talking about on how household voting began. I never alluded to anything of the sort, only how that at one point in our country the family was looked upon as a “unit†and that it made perfect sense to me why, then, a husband and wife would vote as one.

I love discussing things, and certainly don’t even mind if folks disagree with me, but I would really love to keep sarcasm out of the conversation. I am just sharing an area of my life that we’ve been convicted in, in hopes that it might give some food for thought for other women. :)

visionarywomanhood.com/voting-prayer-time-ready-edit-april

The Sue person seems a bit bemused, but she doesn't seem sarcastic to me. It kills me that these women cannot handle even a hint of criticism.

It seems sarcastic to me, but given the subject, entirely deserved. What utter bullshit.

I know PP believes women should NOT vote in government elections-then he complains about our current president. If he wants to deny all Christian women the right to vote, I don't think he shoud complain.

As far as FWBC, I doubt if the congregation votes on any issue. I think he makes every decisdion.

IMHO, she's way beyond olverly sensitive.

That said, I may be a lowly agnostic, but ideas like that of the blog writer make me wonder what the hell they think their creator gave women brains for if he/she/it didn't intend for we women to think for ourselves. Do they think their creator is inherently wasteful?

seems to me that PP and his ilk should be all over letting women vote (the way their headships tell them)...that's more votes for the right, right?

OTOH, i'm thankful they're not...

A husband and wife should discuss it, and then a wife should humbly submit to her husband if he wants his wife to vote with him.

Sounds like a riveting discussion. "Headship, do you want me to vote according to your beliefs?" "Silly woman, what makes you think you can decide anything for yourself? Always vote for who I say!" "Yes, my headship."

Oh, I'm sorry. Was that sarcasm?

Archived