IGNORED

Oh Boy!!! Getting ready to watch the Duggars have Breakfast!

Justme

I don't think they still use MOTH, but they have in the past. Teri Maxwell schedules when her children are to change their underwear. :roll:

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
WOW. I can barely feed my 17 year old for $5/meal sometimes, let alone $5 a day. I really hope that figure is off, the little ones need milk, fruits & veggies, lean protein (which I realize they get very little of) and teenagers, especially boys, eat A LOT. They aren't poor anymore, they don't need to live on a shoestring budget anymore, they shouldn't be skimping on food.

You are right. I have a 17 y/o too and he can eat triple what I do. He alone drinks at least a quart of juice a day, goes though 6 slices of bread (2 pieces of toast for breakfast and 2 sandwiches for lunch) and the Duggars have several teen-age boys.

You are right. I have a 17 y/o too and he can eat triple what I do. He alone drinks at least a quart of juice a day, goes though 6 slices of bread (2 pieces of toast for breakfast and 2 sandwiches for lunch) and the Duggars have several teen-age boys.

That's probably part of the reason that Josh looked pretty fit and healthy while living in the TTH, but has seen a quick weight increase after moving out on his own. You can eat crap and not gain as much if you only get small portions of crap, but when you only have 2-3 people to share those dishes it's a different story. They could feed the family more healthily if they actually focused on quality products that are less expensive, like beans, whole grain pasta, etc. and cooked from scratch...but of course that's not what they do.

I think they tightly control the food each kid gets. The amount, anyway. It's mostly crap food, and they seem to get meager servings of it.

This is probably why Josh has ballooned into Jabba The Hut since he's able to dictate what and how much he eats.

It would be like leaving a 12 year old home alone with a couple of hundred bucks food budget for a weekend.

Mentally, Josh is still 12, and he acts like it.

Whoever it was who talked about teenage boys being bottomless pits wasn't joking! My son was very active in HS, football, wrestling basketball and track. He'd eat everything he could get his hands on!

He's 19 now, and graduated last year. For a while he was still eating like the athlete he used to be and gained some weight.

Luckily, when his clothes began to get tight he figured it out, curtailed the food and took up mountain biking. Problem solved! Still in his 32 pants and medium Tshirts.

Too bad Smuggar can't figure it out.

Slightly OT, but I had a dream last night that I was watching this except of the Duggars on TV and Joy Anna was trying to sing a secular 50's do-wop song for the audience, but ended up mumbling since she obviously didn't know the words. Then, Michelle started to pick up a violin to play, and I was all, NOOO!! Then, I saw a shot of Anna looking VERY pregnant. I was trying to get a still frame of her to post it here. I was thinking, the FJ'ers will get a kick out of this. But my DVR malfunctioned and the dream went in another random direction.

I don't think they still use MOTH, but they have in the past. Teri Maxwell schedules when her children are to change their underwear. :roll:

Isn't it common sense to change them once a day? Or does she schedule the exact minute of the day they change them?

Whoever it was who talked about teenage boys being bottomless pits wasn't joking! My son was very active in HS, football, wrestling basketball and track. He'd eat everything he could get his hands on!

He's 19 now, and graduated last year. For a while he was still eating like the athlete he used to be and gained some weight.

Luckily, when his clothes began to get tight he figured it out, curtailed the food and took up mountain biking. Problem solved! Still in his 32 pants and medium Tshirts.

Too bad Smuggar can't figure it out.

I think you and others have mentioned that the food portions in the Duggar household are probably fairly meager, which likely explains why all the offspring stayed fairly slim until one of them got to move out on his own when he got married. Josh's weight gain is definitely due to the fact he is now in control of his portion sizes and how many portions he takes during each meal. I can't really blame the guy for going a little wild at first, but I think the reason he's not re-gaining control over his weight is because he's never learned how to be in charge of himself.

The Duggar parents exert such complete control over everything their offspring do, from day one into adulthood, that the offspring never have the chance to develop their own critical thinking skills, or understand that actions have consequences. How is someone who has never been allowed to think for himself supposed to behave, when suddenly given so much freedom just because he recited some lines in a church and got married. From one day to the next, suddenly he's a man in charge of his own life, when he's never been allowed to do or think anything other than what his father told him to do or think before.

Of course, add in that he was raised to believe that men are the be all and end all of the household. So who cares if he gains 100 lbs or more? His wife should still gaze adoringly at him, seeing God in his eyes and hearing God's word fall from his fatty lips. Who cares if his wife no longer finds him sexually attractive? After all, it's her duty to always be sexually available. Where is the incentive for Josh to be physically fit, make healthy eating choices, or otherwise try to treat his body as a temple (because clearly he doesn't read that passage in the bible very often)?

It's not Josh's fault that his education was subpar, and that he was routinely drained of any dreams for himself other than marriage, kids and running a used car lot. Unfortunately for him, he's not too intelligent and he's lazy. He doesn't have the inner fire to do or become anything in particular, especially if it requires a real effort on his part. He will always take the easy way out, and being a male in the ATI world, he's allowed to do so. No matter how poor his choices or decisions, his wife and children will be expected to act as if he's smart, capable, and wise.

:shock: Surely you jest.

And because I'm dying of curiosity: Is this be considered a daily, weekly or monthly chore?

And because I'm dying of curiosity: Is this be considered a daily, weekly or monthly chore?

First it was the breakfast. Now underwear. My mind is going to waste too much time wondering about all kinds of stuff I take for granted since I am not a fundy living in a large family.

Now I want to know, with so many people in the family, do they all shower everyday? If so, is it in the morning or at night? I have wondered about that since I saw the bottom of Jill's dirty feet in the episode where Jim Bob bought a new bus. I also really want to know what they do when they are traveling by bus for days on end. The idea of the bathroom on that bus scares me.

I bet that the pantry door is locked when the show isn't filming. We have seen episodes where the kids are grabbing blueberries out of the freezer or other snacks. I think that is all for show. Jim Bob is too tight with money to allow the kids to eat whenever they want. I grew up where I could always open the fridge and eat whenever hungry. I doubt that is the case for them. I think if there were no cameras, Jim Bob would padlock the fridge if he could. I don't believe that they feed the whole family for $3,000 a month. They seem to eat a lot name brand junk food. That alone will take up a large part of their budget. It isn't as though they are buying in bulk at Costco.

I wouldn't doubt that their contract requires TLC to provide all food that is part of any episode. There is probably a crafts food table like on movie sets whenever they are filming. How else will the crew eat when they are stuck at the Duggars all day? TLC just probably makes it big enough for everyone. I also doubt Jim Bob would pay for everyone to eat out so frequently when they are on the road if not for the show. Jill and Jana would be stuck in the bus making peanut butter sandwiches to save money.

IIRC, it was every second day (ew) and there was a time set aside for it. I need to dig up their old schedules on the Wayback Machine.

OT. I've been able to figure out almost every acronym here, but IIRC is one I simply am not figuring out. What's it stand for?

ETA: (I lurked forf quite a while before joining) It took me a while to find what "QFT" stood for. By context I'd guessed at "quite effing true," :mrgreen:

If I Remember Correctly?? I've been wondering to but this just popped out at me

Yes, or "if I recall correctly" which basically means the same thing. QFT can also mean "quoted for truth". I don't see this one much on here but QED used to confuse me (quite easily demonstrated).

Okay, my eyes are crossing from trying to catch up, so I didn't read the whole thread...and I just watched them having breakie.

Did those kids actually start eating without "turning thanks" (saying grace, praying)? They're really slipping.

Okay, my eyes are crossing from trying to catch up, so I didn't read the whole thread...and I just watched them having breakie.

Did those kids actually start eating without "turning thanks" (saying grace, praying)? They're really slipping.

ITA. Just a sign of how little Boob and Mullet are actually watching and involving themselves with their kids....not that that is anything new of course.

IIRC, it was every second day (ew) and there was a time set aside for it. I need to dig up their old schedules on the Wayback Machine.

Every second day? Good god. Is getting infections and smelling of old clothes (and other things) biblical?

I think a lot of QFers make their kids wear dirty clothes because it means less laundry. I don't see much wrong with wearing the same jeans for a few days, but at least let the kids change their undies! If you have so many kids that you can't even manage to keep them in clean underwear, then it's time to invest in some birth control and invest in the kids you already have. But some of these people will stop at nothing to have the largest collection of kids.

Not sure what's more unfortunate: that or the fact that she told the world.

Every second day? Good god. Is getting infections and smelling of old clothes (and other things) biblical?

:roll: Not just the "eeewww" factor, but the female children would be much more prone to infections "down there". Yeast loves moisture.... I'd really doubt they'd get taken to the doctor for some med's, if they had the courage (sans embarresment) to tell their parents...

Wait, I just want to clarify something. Was it "nobody is permitted to change undies more than once every two days" rule or a "Mom does a check every other day, regardless of what you think about your right to privacy" rule? (And if the former, does this mean that every other week they wore dirty underwear to church???)

I think a lot of QFers make their kids wear dirty clothes because it means less laundry.

And possibly because clothes really do last longer if they're washed less frequently. Washing machines are pretty hard on fabric, and if it's not soiled or stinky and nobody just was sick it's probably fine to let your pants and shirts go a wearing before washing again. That's one of the reasons we have underwear, so we can keep our clothes cleaner longer.

Of course, if your children aren't even occasionally making their clothes filthy in their daily lives, they're not really living like kids. Except on very special occasions or in cases of extremely dire poverty, children should be able to paint and bake and play in the mud without worrying about the state of their clothing. Clothes should be washed as needed, and children shouldn't be prevented from dirtying their playclothes because they have to last. If you can't afford to let clothing get dirty because it has to be handed down to the next seven kids, you probably should consider this sometime between kids one and seven.

:roll: Not just the "eeewww" factor, but the female children would be much more prone to infections "down there". Yeast loves moisture.... I'd really doubt they'd get taken to the doctor for some med's, if they had the courage (sans embarresment) to tell their parents...

THIS.

Maybe it would be more interesting if the Duggars made us breakfast and brought to our house then We could eat it and that would interest us.lol

I would love to see a special on the Today show (or even an episode) where MICHELLE cooks breakfast for everyone, then cleans the house and does some laundry, while watching the little ones, and while all the JSlaves were out getting mani-pedis.

Archived