IGNORED

Any Doctor Who fans?

Guest Member456

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not looking forward to seeing Amy and Rory leave since I've heard that it's supposed to be tragic.

What!?!

So dying, having the man you love erased from your memory, coming back to life only to kill the woman you love, spending over a thousand years seperated from the person you love, then ultimately losing the chance to watch your child grow up together- none of that is tragic enough?

OK, I've got to tell you guys because I am geekgasming all over the place and if I don't tell someone I will burst.

A Doctor Who/Star Trek crossover comic!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek: ... imilation2

Eight issues, multi Doctors, multi captains of the enterprise, the Borg, Cybermen and one big geekgasm for me.

Why had I not heard of this before? And yes, I do have it on order at Amazon!

• 3 months later...

Did anybody else watch the season premiere "Asylum of the Daleks" this past weekend? Is the US super behind in premieres or was the UK premiere fairly recent as well?

Thoughts?

I'm glad Amy and Rory got back together (even though we didn't really know that they had even split up) and I though Oswin might be the new companion--so sad about her being a Dalek.

Also, am I the only one whose teeth get set on edge by the Dalek voices?

I enjoyed it a lot though I guessed the twist at the end.

I love Amy and Rory, I think I have a bit of a crush on Amy. I always found Donna very annoying.

i figured out the twist too, but in the beginning she seemed like a very good companion candidate. Cute, smart, and quirky are definite must-have qualities.

I liked the first episode!! i didnt know what was going to happen until the very end!!

I liked oswin too, so im very curious now in how they are going to make her the new companion lol.

And i hope River is going to be back soon,i love her.

Guest Anonymous

I'm not sure how much of this is spoilers, so I'm going to hide it all.

I just watched it and I hated it. Specifically, I hate the new girl. Why do we need a cutesy-wutesy quirky girl? She looks like she just stepped out of one of those smug chocolate adverts. Why not just go the whole hog and get Zooey Deschanel?! Oh, and she's a super genius! Of course she is. :roll:

This is going to be unbearable.

(This is me, very specifically, not giving this new series a chance.)

The new girl isn't going to come back though. I have noticed a kind of trend with female charatcers lately - into crochet and baking! I didn't mind her too much but I'm not sorry she won't be in any more episodes

Guest Anonymous

There is something weird going on with the new girl. The media is touting the actress as the new companion and she seems to be reappearing in the Christmas episode. But the character in the Christmas episode seems to have a different name (Clara?). It's hard to tell what's going on. Maybe she's coming back as a different character? Maybe it's all just rumours and misinformation? Right now, I'm assuming the worst (the return of Oswin, or an Oswin-like character, as the full-time companion), that way I can only be pleasantly surprised.

What!?!

So dying, having the man you love erased from your memory, coming back to life only to kill the woman you love, spending over a thousand years seperated from the person you love, then ultimately losing the chance to watch your child grow up together- none of that is tragic enough?

I know! Why can't they just let them go live happily ever after. Good lord they have been through enough!

I was wondering if anyone here had thoughts about the way Amy is often treated in a misogynistic way by the show? For me, at least, the sexism has really dampened my enjoyment of the show. I'm specifically talking about the way Amy is often treated as a womb on legs, especially in regard to last season's arc, and reemphasised again at the start of this season with her and Rory's split. Also the sort-of-old but related interview with Moffat that's being circulated he's pretty gross;

There’s this issue you’re not allowed to discuss: that women are needy. Men can go for longer, more happily, without women. That’s the truth. We don’t, as little boys, play at being married – we try to avoid it for as long as possible. Meanwhile women are out there hunting for husbands. The world is vastly counted in favour of men at every level – except if you live in a civilised country and you’re sort of educated and middle-class, because then you’re almost certainly junior in your relationship and in a state of permanent, crippled apology. Your preferences are routinely mocked. There’s a huge, unfortunate lack of respect for anything male.

I know this isn't officially a feminist board or anything, but a good number of posters here do identify as feminists, and at the very least, anti- the patriarchal valuing of women for their reproductive organs, which a recurring theme in Amy storylines.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous
I was wondering if anyone here had thoughts about the way Amy is often treated in a misogynistic way by the show? For me, at least, the sexism has really dampened my enjoyment of the show. I'm specifically talking about the way Amy is often treated as a womb on legs, especially in regard to last season's arc, and reemphasised again at the start of this season with her and Rory's split. Also the sort-of-old but related interview with Moffat that's being circulated he's pretty gross;

I know this isn't officially a feminist board or anything, but a good number of posters here do identify as feminists, and at the very least, anti- the patriarchal valuing of women for their reproductive organs, which a recurring theme in Amy storylines.

I wasn't quite sure about this until I saw the latest episode.

In the episode that just aired, there was a lot of crap about marriage and about a woman's place being by her husband's side. Amy essentially ended her life (at least, she trapped herself in the past knowing that she could never return to her real life and that she would eventually die) just to be with Rory. I know TV puts supreme importance on true love, so it could just be that, but I got a little bit of a creepy vibe from it.

Did that really have to be Amy's swansong? Sacrificing everything to be with a man? Trading time travel and space travel to live a "normal" life with hubby? She couldn't have gone out it a blaze of glory, shooting alien-zombie-dinosaur-robots or whatever?

In the episode that just aired, there was a lot of crap about marriage and about a woman's place being by her husband's side. Amy essentially ended her life (at least, she trapped herself in the past knowing that she could never return to her real life and that she would eventually die) just to be with Rory. I know TV puts supreme importance on true love, so it could just be that, but I got a little bit of a creepy vibe from it.

Did that really have to be Amy's swansong? Sacrificing everything to be with a man? Trading time travel and space travel to live a "normal" life with hubby? She couldn't have gone out it a blaze of glory, shooting alien-zombie-dinosaur-robots or whatever?

While I think there is definite misogyny in the way female companions are handled, I didn't get that impression for the Ponds' ending. It wasn't a matter of choosing a normal life with her husband over traveling through time and space- it was never, ever seeing the person she loved again. When the angel sent him back in time, she essentially saw Rory die. How many widows and widowers in the real world say "I would give anything to have my husband/wife back"? Do you think any of them would change their mind about that if someone said "Hey, you can totally have your loved one back... or you can travel through space and time without them!" I don't think anyone would choose the time and space option.

Besides, the exact same situation would have happened if the roles had been reversed. In Amy had gotten sent back in time, Rory would have made the same decision she did.

Guest Anonymous

While I think there is definite misogyny in the way female companions are handled, I didn't get that impression for the Ponds' ending. It wasn't a matter of choosing a normal life with her husband over traveling through time and space- it was never, ever seeing the person she loved again. When the angel sent him back in time, she essentially saw Rory die. How many widows and widowers in the real world say "I would give anything to have my husband/wife back"? Do you think any of them would change their mind about that if someone said "Hey, you can totally have your loved one back... or you can travel through space and time without them!" I don't think anyone would choose the time and space option.

Besides, the exact same situation would have happened if the roles had been reversed. In Amy had gotten sent back in time, Rory would have made the same decision she did.

I do agree with you about widows/widowers, etc. I guess I'm bothered by this episode because fiction is chosen. There is no reason why it had to be like that (with Amy having to make that choice), there were infinite other ways for Amy and Rory to be written out. To me, this particular ending seemed to "accidentally" match up with certain sexist ideas about women and marriage, and that bugs me a little.

I do agree with you about widows/widowers, etc. I guess I'm bothered by this episode because fiction is chosen. There is no reason why it had to be like that (with Amy having to make that choice), there were infinite other ways that Amy and Rory could have been written out. To me, this particular ending seemed to "accidentally" match up with certain sexist ideas about women and marriage, and that bugs me a little.

I can see where that would bug but the Amy/Rory relationship itself was pretty non-sexist for me. Rory was always the one patiently waiting for Amy, while she was the one who had the glamorous careers, was the first to go traveling on awesome space/time adventures, and definitely wore the pants in the family. And had the writers not been so intent on emphasizing the Doctor/Amy angst in the end (far too much, if you asked me. A big pet peeve of mine was when the Doctor kept yelling "Amy" when they jumped off the roof and never once yelled "Rory"), they could have easily flipped a coin and gotten the same ending with Amy and Rory's roles reversed. So I think it was the focus on the Doctor and Amy's connection that wrote the specifics of the ending, not any sexist ideas.

I am iffy about the quality of ending itself though. While I would have liked a nice ending, instead of just bittersweet, it's not the saddest ending ever of New Who (that goes to Donna) There is an interesting thread on TWOP about how Old Who companions could leave the Doctor and go on to happier lives but the New Who Companions never want to leave him and end up having to have hugely tragic fates to keep them apart.

Well, now I'm crying!

Amy was my favourite companion! Glad she at least didn't end up stuck in anotherr dimension or something

If anyone wants cheering up (well it cheered me up!)

I missed last night's show (but I did get it on the DVR, thankfully!) , and I'm wicked busy this week, so I don't know when I'll have a chance to watch it! EEEEK. The suspense is killing me. I don't even know who died yet, because I've been trying to avoid spoilers.

One other thing about that episode is

that I will never look at the Statue of Liberty the same way again.

No kidding. :shock: Or

cute little cherubs/statues of babies

either.

Now, did anyone else have the brief thought that

Rory & Amy were ghosts at then end, in the beginning of the last cemetery scene? River said something about how they'd get bored "hanging around here all day" and I thought, for a second, that they were ghosts stuck in the graveyard for eternity and didn't know it yet. But then Doctor's all "Let's go to the pub" and that theory got shot down.

Yeah, catching up with the TiVo - watched the latest Doctor Who and Warehouse 13 tonight. Is there a thread for Warehouse? Off to check, I guess.

There is something weird going on with the new girl. The media is touting the actress as the new companion and she seems to be reappearing in the Christmas episode. But the character in the Christmas episode seems to have a different name (Clara?). It's hard to tell what's going on. Maybe she's coming back as a different character? Maybe it's all just rumours and misinformation? Right now, I'm assuming the worst (the return of Oswin, or an Oswin-like character, as the full-time companion), that way I can only be pleasantly surprised.

I assumed they'd do what they did with Verity and Gwen (wasn't that her name? The one from Torchwood who showed up in the last Donna ep, where the same actor plays her own ancestor or descendant.

I pretty much can't look at ANY statue again after the Weeping Angels episodes. My cousin just got married and (as I'm indian) there are a lot of god statues in the temple they got married in -- I am totally scared of them now.

• 5 months later...

Anyone watch tonight? Thoughts? (I couldn't find a Doctor Who thread; if there is one, can someone merge this?)

I thought it was good but not great. I was never on the edge of my seat. I did like the whole WiFi invading the world idea and I'm interested to see how the Clara/Oswin story will play out.

Archived