IGNORED

Easter fundie style

Koala

Steve-O reminds us today that his family doesn't do any of that egg stuff, either.

...which has me wondering, does anyone make chocolate Jesuses for this market?

Two years ago I was in Italy for Easter, all the stores sold large (about a foot tall or so) hollow chocolate eggs with a toy or trinket (or lottery ticket, etc - you name it) inside and wrapped in fancy paper. They come in a little stand so you can stand them up on the table. There were eggs aimed at kids, eggs aimed at adults, you can even custom order an egg to put your own special personalized gift in (ring for proposal, for instance). Best part was that lots of good high quality dark chocolate makers were making these. Quite tasty.

The malls had giant replicas of these in common areas, sort of how malls put up Xmas trees in the US. It was pretty cool.

Here in the US the colored foil wrapped eggs by Dove are pretty good. Here's hoping they go on crazy sale come Monday.

There's a store in Chicagoland that has something like that. I don't know if they have anything IN them but when I was there yesterday, there were chocolate eggs like, the size of watermelons.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course the Maxwells keep the focus on the lord Jesus. They are incapable of thinking of anything else. They are consumed with fear that one step out of line will land them in hell, so they are as tightly wound and bound as any believer can force themselves to be.

The French Market at Ogilivie Station raffles off a 6 lb chocolate egg. I put my name in for that about eleventy times to win it.

Tchotchkes, can you tell me anything about the Chabad mobile library? I saw it in the loop the other day...it's a big green bus and it's pretty f'ing awesome. I swear the Chabad group always has the most pimped out awesome vehicles in the city...it makes my December seeing the Channukah van tool around my neighborhood.

There's a store in Chicagoland that has something like that. I don't know if they have anything IN them but when I was there yesterday, there were chocolate eggs like, the size of watermelons.

When I was in Switzerland a month or so ago, I saw these in the window of the Sprungli chocolate store. I kind of wanted to buy them all and bring them home with me.

Fucking triscuits and foot washing. Tabby is as Jewish as my cat.

FWIW There are usually chocolate crucifixes available at some Polish specialty stores.

I know I saw a white chocolate Cross with little flowers on it somewhere this past week. I did not buy it. I don't buy anything except malted milk eggs. We eat enough candy as it is. The errant spouse asked me last week if I was going to do baskets for the kids>? I said they are 23 and 24, they can make me a basket this year. My daughter and her pre school class had an easter potluck and all the kids parents came. They are as secular a school as can be, but they talked about Persian New Year, Passover, and Easter this month for the kids.

I always loved the idea that the Christian holidays had some pagan roots and traditions. I like the feeling that we're all connected even if our beliefs (or non-beliefs) seem very different.

I also like the idea that Passover and Easter are often celebrated near each other. There's nothing frightening about the fact that we're more alike than we are different. Why is it such an issue with fundies?

This. Plus, back in the "good old days", at least in the Northern hemisphere, Easter coincided with the time when stuff finally grew again. What's not to celebrate? I mean, if you're really living off the land, and are as self-sufficient as some fundies would like to be, you know that winter stores start running out at the beginning of lent. Things get tight. So yes, spring greens, lambs, bunnies, eggs and all that, are a reason to celebrate, always have been.

Steve-O reminds us today that his family doesn't do any of that egg stuff, either.

Good old Steve. Always polite, kind, and never terse to any of his commenters. :roll:

One of my friends was excited about finding chocolate crosses for her kids' Easter baskets this year. Personally, I'd rather have my kids doing the 'break the top off, fill the hollow body up with milk, and drink it out with a straw' thing with bunnies than the cross. :-? They know that our family is celebrating Resurrection Sunday, but they get to do lots of fun Easter stuff, too.

One of my friends was excited about finding chocolate crosses for her kids' Easter baskets this year. Personally, I'd rather have my kids doing the 'break the top off, fill the hollow body up with milk, and drink it out with a straw' thing with bunnies than the cross. :-? They know that our family is celebrating Resurrection Sunday, but they get to do lots of fun Easter stuff, too.

This is a glorious idea. I always avoided hollow bunnies, but now I want to buy some.

I have never heard of filling the bunny up with milk! My kids would love that. :D

This is a glorious idea. I always avoided hollow bunnies, but now I want to buy some.

Me too for the very same reasons.

Went to the farmers market downtown this am. There were hundreds of families lining up in the town square with their Easter baskets for the town egg hunt. They were all so cute. Especially when they played the Hokey Pokey and then the Macarena over the loud speakers. Watching a toddler and their grandpa do that is a hoot.

Go celebrate the fertility of the spring adorable tiny children. Enjoy it with the multigenerations of your family.

:clap:

I'm thinking more of a Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper in the hollow bunny. Anyone want to join me?

I'm thinking more of a Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper in the hollow bunny. Anyone want to join me?

OMG OMG OMG, I'm doing it!

Ooooooooh mixed drinks in a decapitated bunny....... I'm doing that too.

I don't get it. We dye our eggs red, which is a very old greek tradition. However, those of us who emigrated here and other parts of Western Europe happily partake in the whole chocolate bunny, candy, and easter egg hunt business (not to mention we get them at discount because our Easter is usually later). I squeal in hapiness when I get a pretty Ukrainian egg every year from a friend. Never saw it as either/or, you could have both/all. It's spring, hope has come back into the world, your supposed to party and let loose.

The orthodox church in the US has seen an influx of protestant converts over the last 20 years. God forgive me, some of them make me leary. They write about "contaminated" orthodox churches here where we have Easter candy, a lot of parents let the little ones believe in Santa Claus, we use pews, etc. They want us to return to "religious purity". Loosen up, pass the slivovitz, and have a chocolate egg.

I saw chocolate crosses and chocolate praying hands.

Heh. Clearly you gotta eat all the fingers off except the middle one!

(snip)Loosen up, pass the slivovitz, and have a chocolate egg.

I'll raise my glass of German Schnaps to that. :)

Unless someone corrects me, I read the other day that eggs are part of the Passover Seder in part because of the symbolism of spring/rebirth. Tabby has apparently overlooked this?

What the hell is up with triscuits? Matza is the traditonal unleveaned bread! Not exactly easy to break a triscuit in half during the meal.

What the hell is up with triscuits? Matza is the traditonal unleveaned bread! Not exactly easy to break a triscuit in half during the meal.

Yea and who ever heard of kids searching for the hidden triscuit?

Yea and who ever heard of kids searching for the hidden triscuit?

I know, right? We actually 'do' passover, as we are usually invited by Jewish friends. It is fun, and We always have a good discussion about the Jewish/Christian meanings afterwar.

Hunting the matza is the best part for the kids.

Two years ago I was in Italy for Easter, all the stores sold large (about a foot tall or so) hollow chocolate eggs with a toy or trinket (or lottery ticket, etc - you name it) inside and wrapped in fancy paper. They come in a little stand so you can stand them up on the table. There were eggs aimed at kids, eggs aimed at adults, you can even custom order an egg to put your own special personalized gift in (ring for proposal, for instance). Best part was that lots of good high quality dark chocolate makers were making these. Quite tasty.

The malls had giant replicas of these in common areas, sort of how malls put up Xmas trees in the US. It was pretty cool.

Here in the US the colored foil wrapped eggs by Dove are pretty good. Here's hoping they go on crazy sale come Monday.

The FDA has banned all forms of nonfood items in food. They are afraid that it would pose a chocking hazard. My friend tried to bring a few Kinder balls back for her kids from Canada. The person at the border took them from her and said that they are not allowed in the US.

I would love to find a chocolate Jesus that was filled with wine. I could shock the fundies by drinking the blood of christ.

Archived