IGNORED

Is the Bates family having a series on TLC?

Guest LilaFowler

Guest LilaFowler

Has it been announced yet? I'm sorry to ask again because I know it probably has been asked multiple times, but I can't find the threads.

Yes, they are having their own TLC series. I believe it starts this summer.

Guest LilaFowler

Thank you. Now they can buy more fertility drugs (or whatever it is they use to help get them pregnant) with the money from the show, and can borrow household expense money from Lawson!

I predict a lot of fundie families will start trying to cozy up with the Bates and Duggars now that appearing on TLC is so obviously a way out of QF-induced poverty.

I hope another channel shows an hour of grass growing so I'll have something more interesting to watch instead. Exactly how is this different than the Duggars? TLC tried this with the Gosslins too. They had several different families with high-order multiples, including one that had a special needs child. As far as I know, none of them made it past one season. I would be surprised if a Bates show lasts even a whole season, but on the other hand I'm surprised that the Duggars even made it this long.

I can't help wondering if the Bates have made a behind the scenes agreement to marry off a child a year or something, to keep the show fresh and the babies a coming... that's one of the big problems with the Duggars, that none of the girls have courted and are just waiting around, which doesn't make for thrilling TV. Erin and Alyssa will be the first to go, after Zach.

Isn't Zack the fundy-boy who hasn't even touched his intended yet? So they are supposed to go from no touching to doing the horizontal mambo in 1 easy step?

I can't help wondering if the Bates have made a behind the scenes agreement to marry off a child a year or something, to keep the show fresh and the babies a coming... that's one of the big problems with the Duggars, that none of the girls have courted and are just waiting around, which doesn't make for thrilling TV. Erin and Alyssa will be the first to go, after Zach.

Another marriage or courtship couldn't save either of these trainwrecks. We've already seen it. What point is it in showing yet another wedding that is exactly the same, or yet another birth? Everyone seems to think that a courtship would save the Duggars, but it would be boring as heck and no different than the first one they showed. And a Bates courtship would be so similar than anyone outside of the fundie world wouldn't even care about the tiny differences.

Another marriage or courtship couldn't save either of these trainwrecks. We've already seen it. What point is it in showing yet another wedding that is exactly the same, or yet another birth? Everyone seems to think that a courtship would save the Duggars, but it would be boring as heck and no different than the first one they showed. And a Bates courtship would be so similar than anyone outside of the fundie world wouldn't even care about the tiny differences.

Whilst it wouldn't exactly be ZOMG THE MOST EXCITING THING EVAH, it might break the monotony of road trips enough to legitimise another season.

This is the blurb TLC have for the series:

BATES FAMILY SERIES (wt)

The Bates family just welcomed baby 19, which means Gil and Kelly Jo now have 10 girls and 9 boys. See how they manage life with such a large family that includes up to 20 loads of laundry, 7 gallons of milk and 9 loaves of bread every week. Their back to basics life in the hills of Tennessee is free of distractions like television and video games, but full of activities like chores, singing and spending time with each other. We'll follow the family as they share their love of music and family values, and see for ourselves how they pull it all off. (Q2, 2012)

Sounds pretty much identical to everything we've already seen a million times over on 19KAC. I don't know how story producers will be able to sustain both shows in the long term.

I have three kids and "up to 20 loads of laundry" isn't out the question at my house. If the alternated weeks and washed half the sheets one week and half the next, that would account for at least half of those twenty loads per week.

Sounds pretty much identical to everything we've already seen a million times over on 19KAC. I don't know how story producers will be able to sustain both shows in the long term.

21 people and ONLY 9 loaves of bread a week?? That doesn't seem like so much.

yes. mullet has to be pissed. there is now hardly anything to make her better than Kelly! damn! # duggarproblems

We do 20 loads of laundry and go through at least a loaf of bread a day in our household of four adults three children. That is not enough bread for 19 kids!

Agreed. I go through a loaf of bread a week and there is (usually) only my daughter and I here (my husband works away and is only home one week out of every three). And I don't even eat bread!

What are they doing, cutting the slices into four and rationing them??

Ok, I know they bake their own bread and the loaves could be different sizes and sliced differently but...a commercial loaf has 22 slices so nine loaves would equal 9.4 slices per person per week. Are they serious? My teenage boys eat at least nine slices a day. What are they feeding their children? (My girls prefer rice to bread but I have never seen the Bates eat rice.)

I presumed it was a typo 6 they meant day. But that probably woulfn't make sense either.

Come on people. Be more understanding!

That's all Lawson can afford.

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

I know I should never read Free Jinger while drinking but I forgot that laughing while eating chips and gravy is just as bad!

:laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling::laughing-rolling:

I know I should never read Free Jinger while drinking but I forgot that laughing while eating chips and gravy is just as bad!

Please explain chips and gravy to someone who's old and gray. :?

Please explain chips and gravy to someone who's old and gray. :?

It's lunchtime here. I am eating hot chips covered in gravy, except rather than eating them I sprayed them across the table when I laughed while reading the above post. Very messy.

Thick french fries with, yes, gravy poured over them. The dish can also include cheese.

I've never had it but I'm thinking a British style chili cheese fries? Blander though.

It's really too bad I don't have cable at my apartment. This show could have cured me from having trouble sleeping.

Archived