IGNORED

Any Eastern Orthodox (present or prior) on board?

marmalade

I once went to a Serbian Orthodox church in Birmingham (UK) for the baptism of a friend's daughter. It was the most beautiful church I have ever been in in my life. Never been in one before, nor since, but I have never seen a church like it before.

Not me. My Clarinet teacher and his family were. His wife loved it because she'd hit up the Boxing day sales and the after Easter sales and get everything really cheap because they celebrated later. The church services are very similar or at least in my experience the church I saw was really pretty with lots of paintings, statues, carvings.

Ukrainian (Eastern Rite) Catholics may take communion in an RC church and vice versa - they do not or cannot take communion in an Orthodox church, as far as I understand it.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply one should attend dressed totally in white. Only one woman in our congregation goes in complete white. The rest of us wear a white blouse or white sweater or maybe a white skirt.

Our local Serbian churches do not separate men and women, They do have a candle stand and pass a basket during service. The small candles here are a suggested donation of $1 and the very large ones $5. I'm so used to keeping at least 10 ones in my handbag I forgot to suggest it. Our Serbian church doesn't normally have a basket for the food service, but it's usually a set price for the meal or else it's potluck. The women at the Serbian churches here mainly don't wear head coverings but a lot of the women at the Russian church do.

I hope you get to go and have a great time.

I just got home a bit ago from a baptism and chrismation. It was moving and lovely.

I earlier noted that it's unlikely that an Eastern Rites Catholic would go to an Orthodox church etc...but either way go for the food. My hubby is Ukrainian Catholic, and we will only be going to the blessing of the Easter baskets (my 2 y/o cannot make it throught the Easter service), but when she's older we'll be going to the Easter service for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived