IGNORED

Any Eastern Orthodox (present or prior) on board?

marmalade

My MIL is 100% Serb/Montenegran and raised in the Orthodox Church. While she converted to Luthernism when she married, there's still a small church in the city where she goes to celebrate Orthodox Easter. I've never been, but hubby says he may go and I should, if only for the FOOD.

I've only been in the tiny Serbian church in the Gold Country where hubby's Bubba grew up and is now buried, but we had to ask some old dudes in the "fellowship hall" (dudes were playing cards and getting hammered on a weekday afternoon) to unlock the place so we could get a look inside.

So is it worth sitting through the ceremony (I assume it's very similar to a Catholic Mass?) to get to the food? Not like I'm going to church on Western Easter, just lunch at my MIL's retirement community. No one cooks, everyone wins.

I was a Ukrainian Greek Catholic, which is a lot like Eastern Orthodox. The service will be quite long, maybe even two hours. There will be lots of chanting and incense and candles. For a one time deal, it might be nice to experience and the food will definitely be worth it. Go and give us a report later.

My MIL is 100% Serb/Montenegran and raised in the Orthodox Church. While she converted to Luthernism when she married, there's still a small church in the city where she goes to celebrate Orthodox Easter. I've never been, but hubby says he may go and I should, if only for the FOOD.

I've only been in the tiny Serbian church in the Gold Country where hubby's Bubba grew up and is now buried, but we had to ask some old dudes in the "fellowship hall" (dudes were playing cards and getting hammered on a weekday afternoon) to unlock the place so we could get a look inside.

So is it worth sitting through the ceremony (I assume it's very similar to a Catholic Mass?) to get to the food? Not like I'm going to church on Western Easter, just lunch at my MIL's retirement community. No one cooks, everyone wins.

I would go in a minute. Its a lot longer than RC mass. And it celebrates the breaking of a great fast so the choir should be out. Our local Orthodox church is now OCA which I personally find close to Episcopalian. The really good Orthodox Churches around here are 40 miles north. But they are Old Believers and without speaking the mother tongue its likely I couldn't get in the door, esp. being a single woman.

Pack some vodka or slivoitz. Did the church have pews in it?

Go.

Yes, it will be similar to a Catholic mass. As teddybear says, there will be lots of chanting, incense and candles. My contact has been with Greek & Coptic Orthodox where women+children sit on the opposite sides of the church to the men. I'm not sure if the Eastern Orthodox does this but you might like to find out before you go in. You don't want to sit down with your husband and find you on the male side of the church. I have found Orthodox churches very friendly, welcoming places and very understanding of those who don't have a clue what is going on.

Oh, this church is Old Skool; if the gender thing plays out, I guess I'll have to sit with MIL. I don't know of any of my husband's family who has really kept the faith in earnest. They're either mainstream Christians or atheists. My husband has gone with the MIL to a couple of services and reports that he was probably the youngest person there. I've been by the building and it's a tiny little thing tucked in the heart of what is now Chinatown. Hubby says I would love the interior (I love tchotchkes), but all the old ladies in black intimidate me probably because MIL's female line lives to about 100. She's driving me BSC at 80.

At least the good news is that I won't be hassled for conversion. How dangerous can a 90 year old lady be, even with the seduction of good food to lull me? :mrgreen:

I am so freeking jealous Marmalade. If its an old parish, black skirt, black cardigan and white shirt with a black print babushka for the dress code :D

I don't have a black skirt. Or dress. I'll do the modern slacks/cardigan. I don't think even my MIL has a babushka. But I do black; I've been to enough funerals to know the code there, but had no idea if it varied for EASTER! :mrgreen:

I don't have a black skirt. Or dress. I'll do the modern slacks/cardigan. I don't think even my MIL has a babushka. But I do black; I've been to enough funerals to know the code there, but had no idea if it varied for EASTER! :mrgreen:

I seriously have one outfit that goes East with me when I have to hit the Orthodox church for a funeral. For non Russia funerals I always wear white. I think even if its an older congregation they probably wear colors for Pascha now a days.

Greek Orthodox here. OK, first you should know, the service is LONG. Like anywhere from 2-3 hours long depending on how many languages are used (not unusual in GO churches to chant parts of the liturgy in Greek and then do over in English). There is insense, and I mean a LOT of of it. If the smell or smoke turns you off you may want to sit near the back so you can get to fresh air faster. The iconography is usually beautiful. Sit when the congregation sits, stand when they stand, etc. Music is a capella (I'm sure I have messed up that spelling). The parishoners kiss icons but you don't have to, it's a tradition, not a point of theology. The priest faces the altar, not the congregation. The serbian church in my area does not have gender segregated seating, but your area could be different.

In the end, the food is usually worth the hassle for visitors. If you want the food and don't want to go to the service, there is a solution. Serbian, Greek, Coptic and Ukrainian Orthodox churches tend to have at least one ethnic festival a year. Call up the church/churches and just ask them for the dates. (Not sure if the Old Believers do festivals). The festivals include the food, the booze, the dances, the crafts, and religious tour of the sanctuary if you are so inclined.

I reread the original post.

ETA: I can't find my reading comprehension for squat tonight. OK, going on Eastern Orthodox Easter is an experience and a half. Most in a very good way. All the stuff I outlined above, plus everyone is holding candles and usually a lot of people in new outfits, especially the kids. Some parishes actually have the priest and entire congregation go outside to proclaim the ressurection at midnight. The service itself can be about 4 hours long, but most people do not go from the beginning and do not stay after the ressurection is proclaimed. However, if you want the eats, you have to stay to the end. You usually get an Easter egg at the end. Be prepared, it may not end till 2-3 AM.

Mostly all of the above. I haven't been to anywhere except a monastery where men and women were separated. In our parish it's traditional to wear white for Easter. The service is about 3.5 to 4 hours and I have to take allergy pills for the incense. It gets quite dense. It is lovely and moving and well worth attending at least once. I agree if it's mainly for the food a festival is a great idea and has the benefit of being in the day and not around midnight to 2 AM. :)

I'm OCA. Wear white and bring a headscarf! Expect to be standing for a very long time. If you're sensitive to smells, you might not want to go as there is LOTS of incense. Learn the call and response "He is Risen!" "Indeed he is risen!" in Serbian before you go (ask your husband).

Easter is truly the best time to be Orthodox. Except the long service.

My niece got married Serbian Orthodox. Don't plan on "sitting" through the service. We had to stand throughout the entire thing. And it was loooong and 90% in Serbian. Men and women separated mostly. A few of us pagans didn't know the rules and mixed it up a bit. But I didn't get to sit with my sons who, I'm sure, were totally amused and confused by the whole affair, but had no one to ask sitting with them.

I study Eastern Orthodoxy, and a few years ago I spent part of Easter week at an OCA women's monastery...it was SO beautiful. Totally worth a trip.

In general, I'm used to Russian Orthodox services, and they are HUGE on the head-covering thing and the dress code in general....but it really depends on the parish. Some churches will have wrap skirts that you can put on over slacks, if they care.

I'm sold. After 20 years of resistance, I'll give it a go. But being a supertaster, I have a heightened sense of smell, and I'm claustrophobic, so I'll sit in the back.

Still not sure whether to wear black or white. I don't have a white dress or pants. But then again, one look at me betrays my non-Serbian lineage. I look about as WASP as it gets. Raw meat.

I was a Ukrainian Greek Catholic, which is a lot like Eastern Orthodox. The service will be quite long, maybe even two hours. There will be lots of chanting and incense and candles. For a one time deal, it might be nice to experience and the food will definitely be worth it. Go and give us a report later.

Is Ukrainian Greek Catholic the same as Byzantine Rite?

Definately go for the food - there is a Serbian sausage called chevapcici which is so awesome a couple of times a year my husband drives up north to a Serbian deli to stock the freezer. There is also a dish called sarma (I think) which is layers of fillo dough and cheese. Fabulous.

My bil is Serbian and while I'm happy my sister married a fabulous guy who is perfect for her, I'm almost more happy about the exposure to the food :D .

Honestly, things like what clothes to wear, whether there even is food afterwards (my church doesn't do that), language, gender segregation, use of organs & choirs, pews, and so many things like that vary depending on the parish. They're just cultural matters, not theological mandates.

I'd just wear a skirt or dress that's comfortable and modest--since it's not a Greek parish, I'd make sure all boob, shoulders, and knees are covered. I'd wear comfy ballet flats just because your feet might not be used to it. You can bring a scarf in case they use them and you want to blend in more. Sit if you need to sit, stand if you want to stand. Don't take communion--it signifies believing the same things as the people around you, and you don't. Feel free to take the blessed bread at the end, though--that's for everyone!

This link is my favorite one to share with people: http://www.frederica.com/12-things/

wear COMFORTABLE shoes. it will be long and you will be standing most of the time.

Is Ukrainian Greek Catholic the same as Byzantine Rite?

Yes, the Ukrainian Greek Catholics use the Byzantine Rite. The two churches just come from different parts of eastern Europe. The service and traditions are almost identical.

Former Orthodox here (ROCA - Russian Orthodox Church Abroad, aka, the Old Guard of an Old School church)...

Go for the food! It will be delicious!

Also, bring cash. Sounds weird, but in the ROCA churches, there was always a plate passed for donations, then you might have to pay for the meal, and sometimes there was a special collection. Plus you might want to buy/light candles. Bring the $ in small bills - $5s or $1s. That way you can put something in multiple plates without breaking the bank (and you can avoid stink eye from the church warden). You might not need it, but it doesn't hurt to be prepared.

As far as what to wear - I wouldn't wear all black or all white. Anything you'd wear to a wedding would probably be appropriate, although I would err on the conservative side.

Also, the church will probably be packed. When I went to Orthodox church, on Pascha I'd have to get to church at 10pm for 12am services, just because I had to stake my claim. And I was in the choir!

Finally, bring a headscarf (see if others are wearing it and do what they do) and don't wear lipstick. You can wear other makeup, but there is a lot of kissing that goes on on Pascha and leaving lipstick marks is considered inappropriate/irreverent. Do you know about kissing everyone three times???

But, yes, the food will be delicious!!! I still crave blini with sour cream and such...sigh...

Greek Orthodox here. OK, first you should know, the service is LONG. Like anywhere from 2-3 hours long depending on how many languages are used (not unusual in GO churches to chant parts of the liturgy in Greek and then do over in English). There is insense, and I mean a LOT of of it. If the smell or smoke turns you off you may want to sit near the back so you can get to fresh air faster. The iconography is usually beautiful. Sit when the congregation sits, stand when they stand, etc. Music is a capella (I'm sure I have messed up that spelling). The parishoners kiss icons but you don't have to, it's a tradition, not a point of theology. The priest faces the altar, not the congregation. The serbian church in my area does not have gender segregated seating, but your area could be different.

In the end, the food is usually worth the hassle for visitors. If you want the food and don't want to go to the service, there is a solution. Serbian, Greek, Coptic and Ukrainian Orthodox churches tend to have at least one ethnic festival a year. Call up the church/churches and just ask them for the dates. (Not sure if the Old Believers do festivals). The festivals include the food, the booze, the dances, the crafts, and religious tour of the sanctuary if you are so inclined.

Our city had a rocking Greek Festival for years, but they stopped doing it a few years ago. Tons of fun as a teen; I remember having a blast doing the dances. Interestingly, here in the 'Towne, the Greek Orthodox church is right next door to the Mormon Temple. My dad got to go inside the MT as it was being built; he was a grad student in architecture...never got back in once it was complete, but I can see it glowing from my deck every night and it's about 5 miles away. Maybe the Greeks were having too much fun for those 30 or so years when they held the festival (I want to say it was in April or May).

Hubby laughed when I told him I consulted FJ for advice. I'd love to go, but I'll have to see where I am with my schoolwork since it appears I'll have to sacrifice an entire day of study for this adventure. Aside from having to dress up :hand: , I'm almost convinced to go. :mrgreen:

Pascha ceremonies are extremely beautiful, and I always find catholic mass a bit boring, but Orthodox liturgy is lovely. My uncle was a Serbian Orthodox monk. I'm not a christian, but if I were I'd likely want to be Orthodox.

Yes, the Ukrainian Greek Catholics use the Byzantine Rite. The two churches just come from different parts of eastern Europe. The service and traditions are almost identical.

They owe loyalty to the Bishop of Rome rather than to a national patriarch, though, right? I don't exactly remember the communion laws, but Eastern Rite Catholic and Orthodox are very different theologically and I don't think they're in reciprocal communion with each other.

They owe loyalty to the Bishop of Rome rather than to a national patriarch, though, right? I don't exactly remember the communion laws, but Eastern Rite Catholic and Orthodox are very different theologically and I don't think they're in reciprocal communion with each other.

I wouldn't consider them very different theologically - I know many Byzantine Catholics who call themselves "Orthodox, in communion with Rome." The Catholic Church allows Orthodox to receive the Eucharist in a Catholic church, but the Orthodox do not allow Catholics to receive.

Archived