IGNORED

Have You Feminist Habits?

Deleted07

So, it's not feminine to be independent or educated?

Swear, I'm going to have a t-shirt made up that reads "I'm a Feminist Hussy Slut, and my husband and children are damn proud of that fact!" or some such snarky thing.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are some feminist habits today that Christian women walk in?

independence and self-sufficiency - CHECK

going to college to have a career - CHECK

teaching or preaching at men - CHECK

attitudes that “men are…. (fill in the blank)†- No, because this is not a feminist position

taking a pro-choice stand - CHECK

hating or having a dismal, negative attitude toward pregnancy or children

independence and self-sufficiency

going to college to have a career

teaching or preaching at men

attitudes that “men are…. (fill in the blank)â€

taking a pro-choice stand

Let's see...

I'm not independent, but I'm working toward that, so that's probably a check.

Going to college? Yup. Got a 104% on my BIOLOGY exam yesterday. SUCK THAT, fundies.

Teaching or preaching at men? My husband will be the first person to admit he's learned a lot from me, so yup.

Attitudes that men are...Hmm, maybe not this. I don't like to generalize.

Taking a pro-choice stand? Not my body, not my life, I'm not making decisions for anyone else. Yup.

Dismal neg. attitude...Toward pregnancy? Toward my pregnancy, yes. My body doesn't do pregnancy well, so yeah, not much of a fan. But I love kids and I'm good with them (my friend calls me The Baby Whisperer, lol). Fundies would probably count this as a check, since I wouldn't necessarily be praising God while I vomited myself into the hospital repeatedly while pregnant. :roll:

Guess I'm an evil, manhating, baby hating, educated harlot. Good thing I don't care what anyone else thinks of me!

independence and self-sufficiency

... because the woman in Proverbs 31 couldn't make a single move without her Lord Commander Husband Manly-Man? I don't remember it that way.

going to college to have a career

Teaching IS a career, even if you're going it around a dining room table.

teaching or preaching at men

We should at least give the author credit for finding the immeasurable strength to avoid the words "nagging" and "harping"

attitudes that “men are…. (fill in the blank)â€

I am guilty of this at times. But, it helps knowing that for every instance I've stereotyped men to save time or be funny, people like this have stereotyped queer people to hurt and dehumanize us about, oh, 100 times.

taking a pro-choice stand

A little more credit for not using "anti-life" or "pro-abortion"

This is serious y'all. I recently read that a third of all children have been abandoned by their feminists. Oh, wait, it was another f-word. Fathers.

Soooo this is my first post. Glad to be here.

1. Check.

2. Check.

3. Check

4. Useful? Nice to have around? Now if I said that I hate those men who want to take away my rights as a woman, especially when it comes to my body, then yes to that question.

5.Check.

6. While being childfree is the choice for me, I'm not against pregnancy or children if people are able to care for those children. I happen to enjoy being an aunt.

Either way, I know I'm going to hell.

My thoughts exactly. I'm not clear about the last point, does not wanting your own mean you have a negative attitude towards children? I'm guessing they draw the line at birth control because making sure you only have children you can care for would be considered a negative attitude towards pregnancy/children.

I guess it doesn't matter since I'm not a Christiaaaaaaaaan (hoping to cause a mental image of screeching Marguerite Perrin from Trading Spouses :D ).

Let's see... 3 or 4, depending on how we're counting "some college" and "former career". It's great how many of you are able to tick 'em all off :)

1) Not independent, not am I self-sufficient, though I can feed and bathe myself and I even clean up my own poos! I am extraordinarily lucky in that I don't have to worry about working, because Mr. Burps is happy to work to "take care" of me (as bad as that sounds... I have uncontrolled chronic pain, though, so I actually can't work and do need taking care of!)

2) I went to college for a few years because it was expected of me, but didn't graduate; I spent my time in college working as a freelance computer tech and did short stints as a barista and an Old Navy employee. I later worked for a couple of years as a professional organizer, specializing in compulsive hoarding and chronic disorganization, but opted not to continue when we moved to Jersey. I got far too invested in my clients and I was never able to relax because I was always so worried about them all.

3) I teach ANYONE because I'm naturally the type to want to explain things. I like to know why and how things happen, so I assume others do, too!

4) I try not to make generalizations, but I'm sure I've said "men are..." at some point.

5) I am very pro-choice. I don't own anyone's body but mine, therefore I have no right to try control them (no matter how much I may disagree with others' actions and choices).

6) I loved being pregnant and I love most children. I dislike people who treat pregnant women like royalty, though (you get a pass if you're on bed rest!); Carrying a fetus does not make you special, it makes you biologically normal.

1. independence and self-sufficiency

2. going to college to have a career

3. teaching or preaching at men

4. attitudes that “men are…. (fill in the blank)â€

5. taking a pro-choice stand

6. hating or having a dismal, negative attitude toward pregnancy or children

1. Now, not really. (Used to be and working on getting some of it back).

2. Gave both up to be a SAHM. (Going back to college in fall, looking for work, hopefully though and I HAD a good career).

3. No preaching, informal "teaching" only. (But I probably fail because I talk theology with the menz.)

4. Nope.

5. Yes.

6. Not at all.

Hmmm, I'm only 1 for 6, but I still think the whole premise of the post is flawed and full of shit.

I score 5 out of 6 (I love my children!) but just to check I'm passing on the feminist habits, I asked my 20 year old. She also scores 5 out of 6, pointing out that she hasn't had much opportunity to teach or preach at men yet.

I told her she was going to hell, to which she replied 'well at least it'll be warm there.' (We're having a cold snap in South West England.)

I guess I'll be joining her ;)

Even though I am only giving myself a 4/6 - I plan on going to hell anyway. There is no way I want to spent eternity with the fundies we snark on here or with the sort of God who would condone fundie behaviour.

This x 100 :)

I guess I'm 6 for 6 too!

= I'm a single mother so totally self-sufficient AND providing for a child almost single handedly too (Daddy doesn't provide much at all).

- I have my Masters (total years at university - 6.5 over the course of 9 years) and am climbing the career ladder.

- Teaching or preaching at men? Well, I have had to do lectures on my research at uni where the audience included men. I'm also teaching my son how to be the best person as he can be as he grows up. Does that count?

- Attitudes that men are... Well, that blank doesn't have to be filled with a negative word. Men are humans, and just as falliable as anyone.

- Taking a pro-choice stand. OH DEAR GOD, YES! I am hardcore pro-choice, considered terminating my pregnancy and fully support the decisions of at least 3 women who have terminated pregnancies, including family members.

- Hating, or having a dismal, negative attitude towards pregnancy or children. Well, pregnancy can be a wonderful thing, as can children. HOWEVER, pregnancy can be uncomfortable (almost 10 months spent needing to pee constantly, feeling hot/sick/heavy/sore? No thanks!), and fraught with complications (I had to see a consultant every 2 weeks during my pregnancy - I had heart scans, ECGs, trans-vaginal ultrasounds, saw rheumatologists, genetic counsellors, cardiologists, obstetricians; my son had to have regular monitoring - detailed scans, 4D scans, fetal echocardiograms etc.). There are plenty of women out there who have extremely good cause to not want to be pregnant, or have any more pregnancies, or feel negatively during their pregnancies.

As for kids, well, I love mine, but other peoples are often 'orrible little scrotes! I am a sucker for a cute and/or well behaved kid, but unruly, rude, noisy, bratty children get short shrift from me! One doesn't have to love every child in the world, just as we don't get on with every other adult in the world!

So yeah, feminist and proud, if you couldn't already tell from the avatar! My son is being brought up feminist, and he knows he can be or do anything he wants to when he's older, as long as he puts his mind to it. I'm dead proud of my sometimes gender-bending, sensitive, artistic son.

5.5 out of 6, sort of. I am also agnostic.

1. Of course! and my fiance wouldn't have it any other way. Being a temporary SAHW is driving me nuts. I can't wait to be employed again.

2. Yup! Even went to a college where the student body is 2/3 male, for a field that is predominantly male. I was frequently the only woman in the classes for my major.

3. Yes, I have given training to all sorts of people. I also occasionally teach board games to guys.

4. male?

5. Yes! Yes! Yes!

6. Pregnancy I have a hard time wrapping my head around - it kind of freaks me out. However, I adore kids. I would love to have one of my own.

1) Not independent, not am I self-sufficient, though I can feed and bathe myself and I even clean up my own poos! I am extraordinarily lucky in that I don't have to worry about working, because Mr. Burps is happy to work to "take care" of me (as bad as that sounds... I have uncontrolled chronic pain, though, so I actually can't work and do need taking care of!)

Sorry to hear you suffer with chronic pain too, SpiderBurps. :( I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue associated with a genetic connective tissue disorder. Unfortunately my ex wasn't as supportive as Mr Burps and if I didn't work, deemed me 'lazy'. I left him, but now have to work full time to support our son and I, despite all my issues. I think if you're in the position where you need to be handled with care, having a supportive partner who does want to 'take care of you' is nothing to be ashamed of. If I had someone supportive, I likely wouldn't work, or would only work part time, which would definitely help my health! And I don't think that it would necessitate my handing in my Feminist membership card, either! ;) I hope you're having a 'good' day, pain wise.

Sorry to hear you suffer with chronic pain too, SpiderBurps. :( I have fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue associated with a genetic connective tissue disorder. Unfortunately my ex wasn't as supportive as Mr Burps and if I didn't work, deemed me 'lazy'. I left him, but now have to work full time to support our son and I, despite all my issues. I think if you're in the position where you need to be handled with care, having a supportive partner who does want to 'take care of you' is nothing to be ashamed of. If I had someone supportive, I likely wouldn't work, or would only work part time, which would definitely help my health! And I don't think that it would necessitate my handing in my Feminist membership card, either! ;) I hope you're having a 'good' day, pain wise.

It sucks to hear that you have fibromyalgia :( I have it, plus some sort of undiagnosable pain deep in my bones and joints (that they just lump in with the fibro). I'm so fortunate that I don't have chronic fatigue--I wake up feeling like I haven't slept for a week, but I am fairly awake and operational once the sun comes up. I can only imagine how hard it must be for you, especially since you have a son AND a douche bag ex! *hugs* Since you asked, I'm having a stupid pain day... I totally cried behind my sunglasses at the grocery store because my hip felt like it was grinding in the socket with every step I took. >.< I also hope that you're doing well pain-wise (though I know stress doesn't make it any better, so I at least hope you're able to make it tolerable with meds/TENS/whatever).

Have you considered disability income, by the way? I'm going to be applying in May, so we could go through the process "together" if you wanted moral support! Do feel free to PM me if you want to complain, moan or compare notes on meds, doctors or anything else. I know it can be nice to be able to talk to someone who understands how overwhelming this can be!

I'm at a college hundreds of miles away from my fatherly headship. I have a job here at my school. I'm prochoice and I haven't decided on whether or not I want marriage or kids yet. I have so many feminist habits. :twisted:

I hope that I live every minute of my life practicing feminist habits.

And I pray that all my children, daughters and sons, will do the same.

[

"men are ...." many things.

I tried to fill it in and came up with things like "alive," "organic," "people," "not a monolith."

I'm only at 4 of 6 as well... but I did fill in the "Men are" blank with "Men are people who gender identify as male".... surely I get extra credit for that? Think of the fundie horror!

I never thought of most of these as feminist habits, just human ones.

As much as I loved being pregnant and being a mom, my career is not only self supporting, but it is in a male dominated field and industry...so that should count for extra points. Or it should send me to hell for keeping a big strong fundy man from taking my job to support his minions...er, wife and kids. Depending on your pov.

I read this thread on DailyKos this morning about Phyllis Schlafley speaking to some cadets at The Citadel on not dating feminists: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/06/1081038/-Phyllis-Schlafly-gives-college-lecture-on-how-to-not-date-feminists?showAll=yes The Citadel is a "military" college in SC. Everyone has to take ROTC, but military service is not required. They do admit women, but only after Shannon Faulkner sued and the courts found in her favor.

She says, among other atrocious BS, that you have to be careful because some feminists are pretty/. Phyllis Schlafley, still putting the bat in batshit crazy after all these years.

:shock:

trainingdaughtersteachingwives.com/?p=215 :?

well I'm 6 for 6 and going to hell.... :twisted:

1. I'm very independent and self-sufficient. I lived by myself for most of my adulthood. I traveled the world by myself. I've been to 19 different countries on 5 different continents. I wouldn't give those experience up for anything in the world. Not for religion, not for God, not for a man, not for children, not for anything. Those experiences have shaped the person I have become and I like the person I am.

2. I have a bachelor's degree and a career. Even better, they're in a male dominated field.

3. I teach men all the time. I outrank many of the men in my department, so a lot of training falls on my shoulders. I'm also responsible for checking men's work and sending it back for corrections when its wrong. As for preaching, I try not to preach to anyone. I hate it when people preach at me, so I don't preach at others.

4. My attitude is that men are whatever they want to be. Sometimes I agree with them, sometimes I don't. I feel the same way about women.

5. Yeah, I'm definitely pro-choice.

6. Sorry, but I do hate pregnancy. I was indifferent toward it before I actually got pregnant, but since going through it, I can say that I hate it. The only thing I enjoyed was feeling my son move around. Other than that, it was not an experience that agreed with me. All day nausea for two months straight, ballooning up and gaining weight, swollen ankles, so uncomfortable in my last trimester that I barely slept and was constantly exhausted. I suffered through the whole ordeal because I knew that at the end, I'd get to be a mother. It's the only thing that made those 9 months of hell worth it. And I don't think that makes me less of a woman or less of a mother.

Yeah, fundies would absolutely hate me and that makes me extremely happy. I love my life. I have a wonderful husband who loves and respects me. I have the sweetest little boy on the planet. I have a career that fulfills me and that I enjoy. I've had the privilege of traveling to many different countries. I've had incredible experiences in my life. I'm close to my family. I had an ideal childhood. I have good friends. If I had to live like a fundie woman, I would be miserable, so I'm glad I'm the complete opposite of who they think I should be.

:shock:

trainingdaughtersteachingwives.com/?p=215 :?

well I'm 6 for 6 and going to hell.... :twisted:

I think I fail already due to lack of Christianity, but:

1. Er, kind of. I have a lot of debt.

2. I didn't go to college, but I did go to university. Colleges are cool though, my brother went to one to do agriculture.

3. I have an obsession with the history of political violence, and last night I was explaining an obscure detail to some men. So, kind of again.

4. I don't have an attitude about men as a group, but....they are alive? Dunno.

5. Definitely

6. Definitely. I don't hate kids but I don't want them.

Make room for me on the bus to hell as I hit all six with great pride and glee.

Plus...

7. Love sex and own my sexuality. I consider sex fun and exciting and I have had sex for the sake of pleasure, not for procreation or to please a mate.

8. I totally believe I'm as good as a man and better than some, in fact

9. I am uninterested in the domestic arts and I believe I have more to offer than my ability to cook and sew

Bring on the fire and brimstone!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh I get six points, too!

I earn my own money via a teaching job, also teaching grown men, in THEOLOGY, covers the first three points due to the degree needed to do that teaching.

Men are different from women.

Pro-choice and firm dislike of children.

I am so eeeeevil and proud.

Why is "Men are..." condemned when they have absolutely no qualms to proclaim that women are xyz?

quote]What are some feminist habits today that Christian women walk in?

1. independence and self-sufficiency

2. going to college to have a career

3. teaching or preaching at men

4. attitudes that “men are…. (fill in the blank)â€

5. taking a pro-choice stand

6. hating or having a dismal, negative attitude toward pregnancy or children

I read this thread on DailyKos this morning about Phyllis Schlafley speaking to some cadets at The Citadel on not dating feminists: http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/04/06/1081038/-Phyllis-Schlafly-gives-college-lecture-on-how-to-not-date-feminists?showAll=yes The Citadel is a "military" college in SC. Everyone has to take ROTC, but military service is not required. They do admit women, but only after Shannon Faulkner sued and the courts found in her favor.

She says, among other atrocious BS, that you have to be careful because some feminists are pretty/. Phyllis Schlafley, still putting the bat in batshit crazy after all these years.

Jezebel also has a piece of Schafly's speech at the Citadel.

http://jezebel.com/5899545/feminists-ma ... -crazy-ass

The comments are great. Here is my favorite from MissNormaDesmond:

Schlafly's on her own side, all the time. She likes the idea of being a Queen Bee in a world where very few women are in public life, because then she's special and can speak for other women. If women can get out and speak for themselves, there goes her power.

Archived