IGNORED

Interracial marriage

FloraDoraDolly

Up until a couple of weeks ago, I would have agreed with you. But my daughter went to a local church's first meeting of a newly formed fellowship group for young adults and it came out that some of the attendees - people around 20 years old - felt that interracial marriage is wrong because "the cultures are just too different." The irony here is that my daughter, sitting right there among them, is bi-racial. It never surprises me to run into racists over 40 years old, but I'm always shocked when I meet a racist under the age of 25. I guess I naively think the younger generations have gotten smarter than their parents and grandparents.

I spent most of my life in the racist "movement", so it doesn't surprise me but I do think it is becoming less common, even in the last 10 years or so. As far as fundies go, it wasn't very long ago at all when a few of the colleges still were against interracial dating (BJU made the news, but I'm pretty sure a couple other schools required parental permission for interracial couples to date, but not for same-race couples). Most of the fundies I know now are OK with it and I'm still active on a mostly IFB forum where it comes up occasionally and the vast majority of people that give an opinion are in favor of it. I'm sorry that your daughter had to put up with hearing that, and I do thing the arguments about different cultures or society's reaction are bullshit. I'm part of a fairly new church where a lot of the members and most of the staff were raised fundamentalist and one thing I have to give my pastor credit for is that he is very upfront about being inclusive. He's called out racism as a sin at least 3 or 4 times in the couple of months I've been attending there and was talking on Sunday about how wrong it was that there are churches in our city who would not welcome an interracial couple or a parent with a mixed child and who that attitude is wrong.

I've never seen a black fundie family. Were they on the show?

The black fundie family that the Duggars are friends with live in Queens and they appeared in the NYC episode. I can't remember their names. I think that family had less than 10 kids.

Other posters mentioned the Bacchmans. The link below to a black fundie lite blogger's blog. This family knows the Bacchmans. The mom's name is Dayna and most of her blog focuses on sewing projects. She is very talented and she seems to be likable compared to other fundie women.

pleasantboundaries.blogspot.com/

You really need to be on your guard when you are using public transportation and are approached by strange men. I have had some bad experiences with weirdos on the bus. And yes, a lot of those weirdos happened to be black. I would not judge Jessa or any other female who feels threatened in this type of environment.

Loving vs. Virginia was in 1967, not that long ago.

I agree there is a culture of losers on the DC metro that have zero shame in 'flirting'. That is one of the situations I was thinking of, though it doesn't make or break the idea, I would have and do give the same eye roll in that situation.

Also I love that 1. The couple's last name just happened to be "Loving" (couldn't be better!!!), and 2. That Virginia's state slogan is "Virginia Is For Lovers". Irony wrapped in irony, it's the best.

The people referenced as talking about racial cultures being too different much not have traveled much outside a podunk town, or if they have they've stayed mentally jailed (much like the Duggars in their travels). Race and culture do not go hand and hand. Sticking them together falsely leads that the 'races' wouldn't get along because of inherent cultural differences. While cultures colliding can* be rough; it leaps over the fact that 'race' does not = culture...leading to a false conclusion in someone that really believes they are being reasonable. They just don't know...sigh

You really need to be on your guard when you are using public transportation and are approached by strange men. I have had some bad experiences with weirdos on the bus. And yes, a lot of those weirdos happened to be black. I would not judge Jessa or any other female who feels threatened in this type of environment.

I disagree. I've lived in the city my whole life and have spent a lot of time on the DC Metro (as well as the NYC subway, the Chicago el, the Paris metro, the St. Petersburg metro, and dozens of other public transport systems around the world)...I've never had a single bad experience. Yeah, people of all races have given me the "eye" the way the dude gave Jessa, but it's not a big deal. I mean, I don't particularly like it, but it's not a reason to freak out or be excessively on one's guard all the time.

I think Jessa acted OK in that situation, especially considering how sheltered she is. But it did kinda look like she had never seen a black man before/was unnerved by being flirted with by a black man. Understandable but unfortunate.

Loving vs. Virginia was in 1967, not that long ago.

Yeah, but morally speaking, it's centuries worth of regression. (Also, Virginia is a state that is kind of anti-progressive in terms of holding on to old laws...they didn't get rid of their sodomy law until the Supreme Court decision, either.)

Redacted comments...

I think Jessa acted OK in that situation, especially considering how sheltered she is. But it did kinda look like she had never seen a black man before/was unnerved by being flirted with by a black man. Understandable but unfortunate.

Second this, I didn't find the words for it first go round but I feel the same way. There was just a little something extra. I live in Virgina, am a lifelong DC metro rider, never shocked to be gawked at by riders, or employees for that matter. But I've also got the bitch-scowl down pat so they don't usually open their mouths. :D

Yeah, but morally speaking, it's centuries worth of regression. (Also, Virginia is a state that is kind of anti-progressive in terms of holding on to old laws...they didn't get rid of their sodomy law until the Supreme Court decision, either.)

Also never shocked to hear when Virginia has passed even a new law inhibiting the liberty of women, gays, or brown people (that due to political climate they are still legally allowed to be discriminated against; hispanics) I did read the Loving v VA post as being anecdotal. I am happy to live in Virginia for the coming election, hope to help keep Va Blue this year.

And for an upspin just now a friend shared this with me .. http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2012/03/31/ ... urn-seven/ BTW it just so happens that a picture of these twins was part of a display in the Creation Museum that the Duggs visited.. I wonder what they were saying about it.

What gets me about those twins is that other than their dramatic coloring, they really look alike. They really do, in all those pictures. They have incredibly similar features other than their hair and skin color.

Archived