IGNORED

The moment that made you think 'these people are mental'

Daenerys

When all the kids got chicken pox and there was Jim Boob, spouting that this was good for them, now they'd never get shingles. I thought I was going to throw up. Others here have commented that the kids don't have any back up to what they believe, and sometimes I wonder if Michelle or Jim Boob do, either. They're all on the brainless Gothard train to nowhere - and none of them know WHY.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

along with Per-pen-DICK-you-lair lol

Is there something I'm missing here? I've seen this mentioned before but don't understand the lol. Was it particularly emphasised to appeal to adolescents?

I didn't bother to note anything too off about them in the first special. Yes, 15 kids is a lot, but Michelle seemed pretty hands on and I didn't realize the girls were doing *all* of the work. Super-religious? Yeah, but a lot of people are. "Moving In" was really about the house. It bothered me to see small children with power tools, but I thought that it was just for show. (Yeah, right.) It was the "On the Road" special that really got my attention. The proclamation that "Look, boys can do laundry too!" and the voice over that lauded Michelle for taking care of seven small children All! By! Her! Ownself! while the older girls got to go riding was really the first time it dawned on me that those poor girls just did *everything*. (And I will never forget Michelle "teaching" the kids to say "Per-pen-DI-cu-lar" in that stupid sing-songy voice of hers as though she were really doing anything for them. Ugh. SOTDRT at its finest.)

So then I started to research them a little. Quiverfull? What was that? And as they say, the floodgates were opened. I have had this deep dislike of JBoob and Michelle ever since, particularly Michelle. JBoob is an ass, but I kind of expect that. Sure, JBoob would love patriarchal tight fisted control, why not? But I can't believe Michelle would deprive her children (and especially her girls) of the experiences *she* got to have. The boys are screwed too, certainly, but the girls are truly enslaved.

Is there something I'm missing here? I've seen this mentioned before but don't understand the lol. Was it particularly emphasised to appeal to adolescents?

Michelle was trying to pretend that building a house from the ground up was an acceptable substitute for actually educating the kids. JB points out that they want the beams to be straight up and down, and Michelle chimes in with "Which is PERPENDICULAR, everybody say it" :doh: Actually, Michelle, it's vertical, and it can only be perpendicular if you mention that it's perpendicular to the ground...

tIn2fDVHcU4

Around the 4 min mark.

I haven't seen this but I've heard so much about it. When was this? Does anyone have a link?

It's the episode : Room with a view. I'm at work right now and cannot embed the video; can someone help me with this? Also, it's either part 2 or 3. If you go to youtube, just type in "18 kids and counting room with a view" and it should pop up.

It was the "On the Road Special," IIRC, and the kids (all of them) were standing there listening to the tour guide explain something. The tour guide said something was "perpendicular," and then went on to explain what that meant. And Michelle, ever the "teacher," y'know, :roll: jumped in and chirped, "Perpendicular! Everyone say, 'Per-pen-DIC-u-lar,'" to which the kids all dutifully chorused, "Per-pen-DIC-u-lar." :puke-front:

Edited to change: Ah, yes, "per-pen-DIC-u-lar" was from the house building special, not the trip special. Thanks for the memory nudge. :-)

The buddy system was something that pissed me off, too. How frustrating for a teenage girl.

The buddy system the Duggars use is very extreme. People who defend the Duggars' buddy system will use the following defenses, "The buddy system has been around forever" or "It is good for older kids to learn responsibilities." A couple of years back I used to post on a TV related message board and I got into a debate with Duggar defender who defended the buddy system with those arguments. I think those defenses are pretty weak. It is true, a lot of families(fundies and non fundies) have used buddy like systems before. My mom was the youngest child of 8 kids. Her family had a ranch and my grandmother had a lot of duties. Some days my mom was cared for by her 4 older sisters while my grandmother was tending to ranch duties. My aunts didn't take care for my mom 24/7. They went to school dances and individual hobbies. Two of them left home at 18 to attend trade schools. The other two left home when they got married at ages 19 and 20. They also had jobs before getting married. My mom has watched the Duggars' show and she says that their buddy is too much and she really feels sorry for the older girls.

I do think it is good to have an teenager babysit a younger sibling here and there. My three older siblings were 8,11, and 13 years older than me. My mom and siblings talk about they helped her out when I was a baby, but my siblings had activities and hobbies outside the house. When they were teenagers the only times they babysat me was when my parents really needed them too. The J'Slaves constant care for the younger ones is just sad. Sure Jana and Jill are involved with the fire department, but Boob probably approved of that because John David is their chaperone.

Could we maybe edit the title of the thread? 'Mental' is ableist language in my book. Mental illness =/= bad, and vice versa.

Could we maybe edit the title of the thread? 'Mental' is ableist language in my book. Mental illness =/= bad, and vice versa.

I agree..... When referring to the Duggars I usually use the term "Bat-shit crazy"

but in all seriousness, we should change it. Mental illnesses do not make someone bad and a bad person isn't always mentally ill.

I haven't seen this but I've heard so much about it. When was this? Does anyone have a link?

Here's the link.

The defrauding starts after 5:40

This Creation Museum episode is one of the scariest ones, IMO

The creation museum always reminds of a funny/sad family story. Years ago my mother and I wanted to see the local creation museum. So one Saturday off we went with my young children. Years later my daughter brings up do I really believe what was said there? I go oh good grief no we just wanted to see if it was really as crazy as people said. She sighed in relief and said I thought you were smarter than that. I then asked her why she didn't ask me about it at the time and she said she didn't want to embarrass me. Precious little first grader or kindergartner who already knew creationists had issues.

Here's the link.

The defrauding starts after 5:40

I just saw it, thank you. I'm so disgusted right now. Michelle talks about how this helps the boys with "self control" when really they're being taught that if they do something to a woman it isn't their fault, it's because of her clothing. They should learn to be respectful and understand boundaries.

Another big one for me was when it transpired that Michelle nurses her kids for less than 6 months each so she can get on with making new babies. Obviously, a lot of people nurse for that amount of time or even shorter, but to deliberately cut off your baby in order to open the shop again seems a little callous to me.

I figure that it's gotta be true that she stops nursing in order to get pg again, but I know I've seen JB say that Michelle is "a special type of woman who can get pregnant while she's still nursing." I will post link if I can find it.

I figure that it's gotta be true that she stops nursing in order to get pg again, but I know I've seen JB say that Michelle is "a special type of woman who can get pregnant while she's still nursing." I will post link if I can find it.

She figured out that she was pregnant with Jordyn because Jennifer would fuss while breastfeeding. She said something about it being because the flavor of her milk changed and that it's happened before.... I want to say that was in the Dolly Parton episode

(Also, how in the heck were the boys allowed to see Dolly Parton?)

I agree..... When referring to the Duggars I usually use the term "Bat-shit crazy"

but in all seriousness, we should change it. Mental illnesses do not make someone bad and a bad person isn't always mentally ill.

'Mental' in British English doesn't have any medical connotations at all, it's just another way of saying 'crazy'.

The creation museum always reminds of a funny/sad family story. Years ago my mother and I wanted to see the local creation museum. So one Saturday off we went with my young children. Years later my daughter brings up do I really believe what was said there? I go oh good grief no we just wanted to see if it was really as crazy as people said. She sighed in relief and said I thought you were smarter than that. I then asked her why she didn't ask me about it at the time and she said she didn't want to embarrass me. Precious little first grader or kindergartner who already knew creationists had issues.

Pretty cool daughter you've got there! :)

I kind of always knew the Duggars were a mess, but the true depth of it became clear to me when they had the episodes about Smuggar's courtship and wedding. My mouth truly dropped open when Anna's father opened his ignorant mouth and spouted that nonsense about headship and grape juice. That's when I put on my internet spelunking gear to do some diggin', and it lead me here.

She figured out that she was pregnant with Jordyn because Jennifer would fuss while breastfeeding. She said something about it being because the flavor of her milk changed and that it's happened before.... I want to say that was in the Dolly Parton episode

(Also, how in the heck were the boys allowed to see Dolly Parton?)

Here http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/transcripts/article/-/6911426/supersize-family-full-transcript is the transcript from an Australian TV show which featured them. There is video of this, too, which I have seen, but haven't found it yet to post.

Michelle Duggar- Our babies are usually about anything from 16 to 18 months apart is the average. Usually nine months of pregnancy and nine months of nursing and then again nine months of pregnancy and nine months of nursing.

I do breastfeed my babies. I feel like that is the best food for them.

JimBob Duggar: Yes we figured she's expressing about 6 gallons of milk a month.

Michelle Duggar- Around here Mum’s nickname is the dairy queen.

JimBob Duggar- Michelle is set up a little differently. She can actually get pregnant while she’s expressing milk or while she’s nursing, most women can’t. At first when we looked back we thought of it as a problem but then we thought we probably wouldn’t have as many children as we have if she had a normal make-up like most women.

Looked for, but couldn't find the clip of her saying that her preast milk changed when she became pg with the next one.

*edited for link

'Mental' in British English doesn't have any medical connotations at all, it's just another way of saying 'crazy'.

I secondthird changing the title. "Crazy" is ableist too.

I'm British, 'mental' and 'crazy' DO have connotations with mental illness and both are ableist. /British person with mental health problems

Pretty cool daughter you've got there! :)

I kind of always knew the Duggars were a mess, but the true depth of it became clear to me when they had the episodes about Smuggar's courtship and wedding. My mouth truly dropped open when Anna's father opened his ignorant mouth and spouted that nonsense about headship and grape juice. That's when I put on my internet spelunking gear to do some diggin', and it lead me here.

The headship nonsense and the grape juice moment will forever live in my mind. Let's not forget the legos talk and Amy trying to give kissing advice. Plus the really awkward proposal.

The headship nonsense and the grape juice moment will forever live in my mind. Let's not forget the legos talk and Amy trying to give kissing advice. Plus the really awkward proposal.

Forget the proposal, the look on Josh's face when he shuts the door to the cameras after they are married. :vomit:

Forget the proposal, the look on Josh's face when he shuts the door to the cameras after they are married. :vomit:

Clip? I never knew they filmed that... wonder how terrified Anna looked by comparison!

I'm British, 'mental' and 'crazy' DO have connotations with mental illness and both are ableist. /British person with mental health problems

British person with mental health problems here too. I use "mental" a fair bit. I am quite relaxed about it but if it's uncomfy for others we shouldn't do.

Clip? I never knew they filmed that... wonder how terrified Anna looked by comparison!

They follow them in the limo, where some creepy marriage advice tape is playing (not sure if it's actually playing in the car, or was put in in post sound), but, yup, they follow them to the honeymoon suite door (watch from about 2:55 on)....

oGbWkZpdCOI

My dad was in the room when I was watching this and at that bit he said something along the lines of "That poor girl has no idea what she's in for"

Archived