IGNORED

Pastor in Krispy Kreme crash charged with DUI drugs

doggie

I love how it was a medical condition but he did not need any treatment. then went out and did it again.

HENRICO, VA (WWBT) - The co-pastor of a Varina church accused of crashing into a Richmond Krispy Kreme, also faces a charge of driving under the influence of drugs for a second crash the same day.

Police say just hours after 47-year-old pastor Jay Bertrand was released from the hospital he got into another accident.

Bertrand's first accident happened when he crossed three lanes of oncoming traffic, hit the sidewalk and crashed into the Krispy Kreme on Broad Street Tuesday, knocked a painter off a ladder along the way, police said.

No one inside the building was hurt, though the painter suffered minor injuries.

According to the pastor's family Bertrand has serious back problems and right before he crashed, they say he had a medical emergency.

"Right before that incident his back locked up on him. He had a back seizure and couldn't move," said Brandon Pickett. "Everything he was taking was under a doctor's care and was prescribed by a doctor, the doctor had given him full liberties to operate machinery, to drive."

Bertrand was taken to the hospital, but police say he refused treatment and left.

I love how it was a medical condition but he needed no treatment and went out and did it again.

http://www.nbc12.com/story/17333191/pas ... reme-crash

"We do know that, that he was released by the hospital and was feeling fine at the time," said Pickett.

Hours later, Bertrand got into another accident, this time in his wife's car, according to police. They say he first failed to move when a light on Patterson Ave. turned green, causing a woman in a vehicle behind him to drive around him. When she stopped at the Gaskins Road intersection, Bertrand ran into the back of her vehicle, police said.

The woman was not injured, but Bertrand told the officer he did not remember what happened, claiming he had taken some medications.

Senior pastor at Varina Baptist Church, Jerry Liebert has been consoling the family.

"This is not because of any drug abuse or because of any kind of alcohol abuse…He's a good guy, he's not a trouble maker he's not a law breaker, it's totally circumstantial and he hates it as bad as we do," said Liebert.

"The family is upset about what happened not just to them but to others and the inconvenience this caused to others," said Pickett.

Pastor Bertrand is facing charges of reckless driving for the Krispy Kreme incident and driving under the influence of drugs for the Patterson Avenue crash.

What the fuck is a back seizure? You know, I might go to church if they served Krispy Kreme donuts. Maybe he was picking some up for the congregation to encourage attendance.

What the fuck is a back seizure? You know, I might go to church if they served Krispy Kreme donuts. Maybe he was picking some up for the congregation to encourage attendance.

I think he was checking the freshness I think he thought hot now meant drive now :lol:

What the fuck is a back seizure?

I'm guessing they meant his back muscles seized up while he was driving.

Hopefully, the VA DMV has been alerted and has at least suspended this guy's license until the police investigation is concluded. Anyone who has two car accidents (in which he is at fault) in one day, clearly there is a problem. I don't care if it's a medical condition, or the guy is high on prescribed pain pills or what -- he should not be behind the wheel of a car. He's lucky that so far he hasn't seriously injured anyone.

Edited: I was in a car accident a few years ago and the doctor prescribed muscle relaxants for my back spasms. Both the doctor and the pharmacist told me not to operate heavy machinery, or drive my car, while taking this medication. It made me loopy and sleepy.

"Inconvenience this has caused to others"? Inconvenience?! He drove into a freaking building and hit another car, that's a bit more than "inconvenience."

Two accidents in one day because of a medical condition/pain meds? Seriously, why was this guy allowed to drive?

You think he's going to offer to help cover the cost of fixing the womans car and the Krispy kreme store that insurance doesn't cover? That'd be a Godly thing to do....

Archived