IGNORED

KimC on chicken dinners and abortion

godlytomatosoup

inashoe.com/2012/03/abortion-murder-or-chicken-dinner/

:animals-chickencatch:

If abortion takes a human life, it’s murder and we should all be appalled at every instance. It should be illegal under any circumstances. If abortion takes a non-human life, it’s no more “a necessary evil†than sitting down to a chicken dinner. Which is it?

Well, I'm certainly not having dinner with her!

That said, is her imagination so limited that she really can't see any situations in which taking a human life isn't murder, or reasons abortion might be more difficult and painful than enjoying a huge plate of chickenetti? (I'm not totally sure I wouldn't rather have the abortion, given the choice, but there are other chicken recipes.)

I started trying to think of circumstances in which a chicken dinner would be both a necessary evil and akin to abortion, and my head exploded.

So many anti-choicers seem to think that women having abortions skip into Planned Parenthood and hang out the bunting for their exciting day. I would imagine that any woman having an abortion would rather they were just not pregnant in the first place.

I shall hereby refer to aborted fetuses as "chicken nuggets."

Abortion =/= a chicken dinner, but the debate over whether taking a non-human life (like a chicken) is a necessary evil or not leads many people to vegetarianism. I would say many people take the decision of whether or not to eat meat just as seriously as the decision about whether or not to be pro-choice. It's a stupid comparison on a couple of different levels :?

I think better questions for KimC would be:

Where am I going to put the latest "blessing" since all the shelves are taken up?

How am I going to protect my kids from heatstroke if this summer if it does turn out to be considerably hotter than average, and we have no climate control?

Are there still rodents and/or insects living inside my house or in the walls that might injure my children?

Yeah, way to be pro-life, lady :roll:

If she considers eating chicken evil, she should be a vegetarian. We live during a time period when it is easy to have variety without eating meat.

It's one thing to talk about human life in order to make a link between embryos and babies. At least that has some semblance of reason. But how does she so explicitly draw the line between human and chicken life and not realize that she just picked species as an arbitrary marker? How can you try your hand at logic and not even examine the validity of your premises?

On a related note, I'm currently munching on the inside of my very human cheek. By Kim's definition, I'm a serial killer.

I love you. And I'm using this for all future pro-choice protest signage.

And I snorted laughed so again that my angry tom just woke up and hissed his displeasure of being woken so rudely.

Is it wrong that I'm now craving my hub's fried chicken?

And I snorted laughed so again that my angry tom just woke up and hissed his displeasure of being woken so rudely.

Is it wrong that I'm now craving my hub's fried chicken?

After I saw this thread I wen tout and bought fried chicken. So I don't think its wrong at all!

If she considers eating chicken evil, she should be a vegetarian. We live during a time period when it is easy to have variety without eating meat.

I think she was regurgitating something resembling one of the arguments against the: "abortion is ok, but only when it's a rape pregnancy" position.

the whole "abortion is only/especially justified in the case of rape" position (but otherwise the fetus has moral worth and should be kept) does have an implicit problem with it, since it implies that A) fetuses have moral worth/personhood/rights and B) being raped is horrible enough the pregnant woman gets to ignore this. people don't usually (read: I have never seen them) explain how being the byproduct of a rape somehow invalidates said fetus' proposed personhood/rights. it's only consistent to say abortion is always ok/fetuses do not have claims to personhood/rights/etc or that it's never ok, because rape really has nothing to do with the debate about fetal personhood, even if it's an important consideration from other standpoints. it's a valid logical criticism when applied specifically to people who argue that abortion is sometimes wrong, but not always. unfortunately for her, she didn't quite make it there and ended up with a strange chicken analogy instead...

and I guess chicken was just her placeholder for "living being which has absolutely no moral worth", which makes my vegan heart somewhat sad. oh well.

I think she was regurgitating something resembling one of the arguments against the: "abortion is ok, but only when it's a rape pregnancy" position.

the whole "abortion is only/especially justified in the case of rape" position (but otherwise the fetus has moral worth and should be kept) does have an implicit problem with it, since it implies that A) fetuses have moral worth/personhood/rights and B) being raped is horrible enough the pregnant woman gets to ignore this. people don't usually (read: I have never seen them) explain how being the byproduct of a rape somehow invalidates said fetus' proposed personhood/rights. it's only consistent to say abortion is always ok/fetuses do not have claims to personhood/rights/etc or that it's never ok, because rape really has nothing to do with the debate about fetal personhood, even if it's an important consideration from other standpoints. it's a valid logical criticism when applied specifically to people who argue that abortion is sometimes wrong, but not always. unfortunately for her, she didn't quite make it there and ended up with a strange chicken analogy instead...

and I guess chicken was just her placeholder for "living being which has absolutely no moral worth", which makes my vegan heart somewhat sad. oh well.

I always saw the 'abortion is justified in the case of rape' argument as saying that abortion is wrong but the suffering of a rape survivor carrying on with a pregnancy they do not want is more wrong - hence it being a 'necessary evil'.

I grew up as a vegetarian. I made a conscious decision to start eating meat during my first pregnancy for the sake of the health of myself and the fetus. Even though I would prefer animals not be killed for consumption, the health of me and my baby came first.

Just as I would make the decision to abort if it was in my best interests to do so, or of it was not in the best interests of the fetus to be born into the situation in which it was conceived.

Human rights are important, animal rights are important, but sometimes one trumps the other.

I don't even get what she's trying to say here. Murder is wrong, killing a chicken to eat it isn't wrong...but what the hell does have to do with abortion?

I always saw the 'abortion is justified in the case of rape' argument as saying that abortion is wrong but the suffering of a rape survivor carrying on with a pregnancy they do not want is more wrong - hence it being a 'necessary evil'.

that may be how the majority of people who express that argument look at it. lacking a uterus I don't even try to go there philosophically, I was just speculating that whats-her-face with the weird chicken analogy was probably attempting a criticism I was taught as a child.

I don't think they have money to buy chicken.... maybe they butcher their own, but yeah she makes that evil decision once a year i'm sure...

I love you. And I'm using this for all future pro-choice protest signage.

Go right ahead! Let's make it a meme!

Archived