IGNORED

What bugs you about the Duggars

homeschoolmomma1

I just watched Run, Duggars Run. They were so stupidly selfish throughout. It was a voluntary run for children and they showed up late and made a big joke about 'Duggar Time' and then turned up in jeans and denim skirts and then made a big speech about modesty when they were told they weren't appropriate to run in. I thought modesty was about not drawing attention to yourself. They made the whole thing about how they were attracting attention to themselves by looking so different (ie stupid). I guess the idea of wearing sportswear which is also modest didn't occur to them. Then everyone praised Jim Bob for managing to run a mile and wear himself out after he'd admitted to not having run for twenty years and not warming up. He didn't bother to do any kind of training and then proudly said that he had two cups of coffee that morning, instead of maybe drinking some water to hydrate himself. What got me the most were all the comments under the video saying about how wonderful the Duggars were and how selfless they were. Did they watch the same video?

This was one of my big ones (the episode as a whole, and the several issues that you pointed out), but the bolded point just gets under my skin in a weird way. How would track pants (at least for JB & the boys) be less modest than jeans? They would likely be looser, therefore more modest in my opinion. It just seems so strange, and I think what irritates me about it is how it points to their selective, scatter-shot application of their "beliefs."

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's the demonization of the outside world, of "normal" people like myself. Its hate and arrogance pure and simple. "Other" families do things like this but "we" the superior Duggars (or Bateses) do things this much better way. The fact that they want to be accepted and lauded for their "achievements" but do not want to acknowledge the achievements of others. Their children are cared for by women who went to medical and nursing school. In Israel their child's life was saved by an observant Jew. But there is never any public acknowledgment of this. I'm sure behind the Jewish doctor's back they prayed for him to find Christ and salvation etc.... I'm sure they feel superior to him and his family.

They are superior to their neighbors who send their children to public school. Then they visit the public school (which looked like a lovely place) and look down their noses as they strut around uneducated. I bet the seven year olds in those public schools were better readers and mathematicians than his royal Highness Josh. But you could see the contempt and haughtiness in the way they interacted with those kids.

Its why I won't watch their show anymore. It makes me physically ill to see their superiority.

This was one of my big ones (the episode as a whole, and the several issues that you pointed out), but the bolded point just gets under my skin in a weird way. How would track pants (at least for JB & the boys) be less modest than jeans? They would likely be looser, therefore more modest in my opinion. It just seems so strange, and I think what irritates me about it is how it points to their selective, scatter-shot application of their "beliefs."

Even the girls could wear a longer version of a tennis skirt. They are pretty cute too. I prefer tennis skirts instead of work out shorts. Havenlymodest.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2999937

I am, like many, most bothered about the no pants for girls rule. And I HATE how whenever the Duggars are asked why they don't let their daughters wear pants (or what they would do if their daughters would wear pants) on Q&A segments on the shoe and in the book, they brush it off and say that they prefer the girls in skirts, or that its feminine. They brush it off and don't give a real answer.

It's the demonization of the outside world, of "normal" people like myself. Its hate and arrogance pure and simple. "Other" families do things like this but "we" the superior Duggars (or Bateses) do things this much better way. The fact that they want to be accepted and lauded for their "achievements" but do not want to acknowledge the achievements of others. Their children are cared for by women who went to medical and nursing school. In Israel their child's life was saved by an observant Jew. But there is never any public acknowledgment of this. I'm sure behind the Jewish doctor's back they prayed for him to find Christ and salvation etc.... I'm sure they feel superior to him and his family.

They are superior to their neighbors who send their children to public school. Then they visit the public school (which looked like a lovely place) and look down their noses as they strut around uneducated. I bet the seven year olds in those public schools were better readers and mathematicians than his royal Highness Josh. But you could see the contempt and haughtiness in the way they interacted with those kids.

Its why I won't watch their show anymore. It makes me physically ill to see their superiority.

What happened that time? Did Jordyn fall into the river or something?

What happened that time? Did Jordyn fall into the river or something?

Josie got a cold or something like that, which affected her breathing and oxygen levels. She wasn't allowed to fly home with the family, and had to stay in Israel for an extra week.

I watched Duggars on Stage just now. None of them understood the concept of acting or imagination and poor Jennifer was terrified when JB wore a fake beard, but when they saw it frightened her they all laughed and he picked her up until she was on the floor crying her eyes out, and then they made her be in the play. Someone underneath said she was a horrible toddler who cried all the time. Maybe she cries all the time because her family like scaring her or ignoring her. It made my blood boil!

There have been a lot of comments on the show about Jenny being a whingy child, crying all the time. A crying child can really wear down a parents patience but the Duggars seem to keep putting her in positions that upset her. The beard incident was terrible to watch and wasn't it Jenny they tried to force to sit on a pony during a farm visit even though she was screaming no. Jenny seems to me like a sweet but timid child who needs to be treated gently rather than left to run with a rough pack of kids. Why do the Duggars seem to think every child can be parented the same way? Can I please adopt Jenny? She is a bit younger than my tribe but I think she would enjoy the quietness/calmness of my family.

It disturbs me that people are criticising a THREE-YEAR-OLD for crying too much. She might have been two at the time. She was a toddler,for God's sake. She's scared and upset, not 'whiny', and it's mostly thanks to her messed up family.

I've been a long time lurker, but finally joined the forums with the intent on responding to this. I have a very long list of things that bother me about the Duggars, so I won't go into the whole thing, but the things that really irritate me are:

1. They go on and on about the duty of women and how they need to provide a proper, loving home by doing chores such as laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. Yet, very few of them know how to cook anything worthwhile and their kitchens stand unused on many occasions. Even Anna has had a hard time showing any sort of promise in the kitchen, and Josh's waistline is proof of that. Then, while they have 10 girls (Michele included) living in the house (or I guess 9 now that Jana is gone), Grandma is still put in charge of the laundry. And they only just learned some sort of sewing skill (when they had to make the skirts for being first responders), so they can't have a lot of experience with mending. Furthermore, I see them tidy up a lot, but we rarely see them actually clean. A house that large, with that many people going through wearing shoes that track in all the outdoors, you'd think we'd at least see the occasional vacuum or broom being used on more than just a big mess. Even on days when they focus on the jurisdictions of the family members, we don't see anyone scrubbing, sweeping, mopping, etc. The only kills these girls are being raised with to take to their future families focuses around raising children, and that really only works until Joy. The younger girls will have no skills to bring to the table. And their lack of a proper education will prohibit them from bringing any other kind of skill to the table.

2. They often talk about how they accept their children wholeheartedly, and want to nurture them as they make their way down the path god created for them; yet, they feel the need to force their children to be their own model of perfection. There is a lot of speculation on whether or not there is any kind of animosity between Josiah and his parents after the announcement of Jubilee; but there is no denying that they are bent on turning Joy into a clone of her sisters. Just look at Jinger. In earlier seasons, I saw hope for Jinger, that maybe she'd be the one to break free on her own. Now, I see less and less of that as the days go on. They've almost completely succeeded at breaking her spirit and now they're turning their attention towards Joy.

3. They talk about being loving, god-fearing Christians who love all of god's creations. Yet, they turn around and judge others mercilessly. Anyone who isn't "one of them" is condemned or is someone to change. Heck, look at Cousin Amy. In early years, she was the wild child, someone to look to when things were getting too extreme. Now, she's becoming J'Amy. Granted, I don't think she'd go completely into their camp, or at least before marriage, but I can see that they're really trying to "save her" with much success.

4. They have this sense of entitlement, like somehow being a large family earns you rights and privileges not afforded to those with small/non-existent families. I somewhat understand Duggar-Time (my own family was pretty good at not being punctual when I was younger), but they take it to the extreme. They should know how long it takes to get out the door and compensate for that. Sure, there will ALWAYS be hiccups, but you shouldn't just be starting to pack 20 minutes before you need to be somewhere that's 30 minutes away. Furthermore, they do their best to inconvenience others before inconveniencing themselves. The episode with the girl dying of cancer is a PERFECT example of this. In all the time that the family as spent going back and forth to LR, and with all that time they spent at the hospital while Josie was sick, they couldn't have possibly thought to honor that girl's wish at a time and place that was convenient to her? Instead, they made her drive TWO HOURS to meet and greet with a few of them before driving TWO HOURS back home while she was still suffering from the ill effects of chemo? They didn't even offer to put her up for the night, or pay for her to stay somewhere for the nights. Such shameful behavior.

5. Their speaking engagements being filmed for the show. I get it, they're a large family. I get it, they're christian. I get it, they think they can play the violin. I get it, the "wrote" some books about their lives. What I don't get is why TLC feels that we really want to see this REPEATEDLY, or even once. If I wanted to see a Duggar speaking engagement, I would GO to a Duggar speaking engagement.

6. Their complete lack of interest in their children. If children are such a blessing, why on earth do they ignore them so much. I can almost understand passing off the not so glamorous roles in parenting. If having someone else deal with the dirty diaper allows you to cuddle with a few children or have a deep conversation about another child's goals, then it's excusable. That isn't the case though. Michele passes off the care of the children and then focuses on working out or otherwise avoiding parental responsibilities/chores while Jim Bob goes and plays with his toys or buys another property or whatever it is he does while the children are working. They don't even have an updated idea of what the kids want to be when they grow up, or "grow up."

7. Their made up words or definitions for words. There are SO MANY words in the English language. I don't understand why they feel the need to spout off these ridiculous words. I understand that many (if not all) of them are normal "Fundie Speak" but that doesn't mean that all fundies need to be that incapable of using the English language. That would be like me saying "well it's normal for people my age to spell definitely wrong; so, clearly, I must as well."

8. Their inability to clearly define privacy both in terms of what areas should be private and what events should be private. The film crew is not allowed to film in the girls' bedroom because the girls want privacy, but the film crew is allowed in the boys' bedroom. And sometimes they're allowed in the girls' bedroom; it's more of a by day thing, I guess. Then to turn that around and show incredibly personal moments that really ought to only be witnessed by those present at the time, like the death of their grandfather or the miscarriage? Boundaries only exist when it's in the best interest for the show.

9. When the girls where harmlessly chatting (maybe a tiny bit flirting) with the boy when they were at the Dead Sea and Jim Bob felt it completely necessary to swoop in and "save them" from a completely harmless, normal social interaction. I understand that ATI/Gothard teaches that such behaviors are not pure and defraud men, but there is a point when you, as a parent, need to sit back and realize that your adult children have every right to behave however they like in a social setting.

10. Babysitting. Babysitting is a term used when you are NOT the primary caregiver/guardian/parent. It's a term that means this once in a while deal and that you have no real authority over these children once the real caregiver/parent/guardian gets back. Yet, Jim Bob "babysits" his own children?! That's completely ridiculous. As a father, he should hold at least half of the childcare job. Even if he doesn't do midnight feedings or diapers, he should at least help with the younger/middle children. And with 9 daughters, he should know some sort of basic hair-do for the children and how to match their outfits. He should also have a better grasp of how to "deal with them" instead of allowing them to consistently find themselves in precarious situations. Yet, his reliance on his daughters is even more apparent than Michele's, and that says something!

Anyways, I think that's enough for now.

I can't even start to list everything that bugs me about the Duggars, but if I could, this would definitely have a place on the list: http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/201 ... r-children

Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar's version of quality time--or, as they call it, "quality quick" time--with their kids:

“What’s going on in your life? Is there anything that you want to tell Mom? Is there anything on your heart that you want me to pray for you about? Is there any secret that you haven’t shared with Mom and Dad that you really want to share with us? And are there any temptations or struggles that you’ve had that you want to share with Mom and Dad so that we can pray with you about those things?â€

This.

This is what bothers me about Christians. The see or hear the "Christian" slapped on something and immediately it is good, there is no attempt to research it. I think this is why the Duggars continue to be popular. People think, "They identify as Christian, they have got to be moral and good."

I can't even start to list everything that bugs me about the Duggars, but if I could, this would definitely have a place on the list: http://blogs.babble.com/famecrawler/201 ... r-children

Michelle and Jim Bob Duggar's version of quality time--or, as they call it, "quality quick" time--with their kids:

:doh: Spending a few minutes a day interrogating your kids does not count as quality time. There is no possible way that I would tell my parents anything that was "on my heart" if I knew that all they were going to do was make me pray about it. Trust has to be earned, even by family.

Wow, that's depressing. They could pretty easily just make that a form to fill out -- some of those questions even lend themselves to a sort of "quality time" checklist. If that's the best parenting they can do, I doubt most of the kids would want to share any secrets, temptations, or struggles with them, because who would share something so private with virtual strangers?

I've been a long time lurker, but finally joined the forums with the intent on responding to this. I have a very long list of things that bother me about the Duggars, so I won't go into the whole thing, but the things that really irritate me are:

1. They go on and on about the duty of women and how they need to provide a proper, loving home by doing chores such as laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. Yet, very few of them know how to cook anything worthwhile and their kitchens stand unused on many occasions. Even Anna has had a hard time showing any sort of promise in the kitchen, and Josh's waistline is proof of that. Then, while they have 10 girls (Michele included) living in the house (or I guess 9 now that Jana is gone), Grandma is still put in charge of the laundry. And they only just learned some sort of sewing skill (when they had to make the skirts for being first responders), so they can't have a lot of experience with mending. Furthermore, I see them tidy up a lot, but we rarely see them actually clean. A house that large, with that many people going through wearing shoes that track in all the outdoors, you'd think we'd at least see the occasional vacuum or broom being used on more than just a big mess. Even on days when they focus on the jurisdictions of the family members, we don't see anyone scrubbing, sweeping, mopping, etc. The only kills these girls are being raised with to take to their future families focuses around raising children, and that really only works until Joy. The younger girls will have no skills to bring to the table. And their lack of a proper education will prohibit them from bringing any other kind of skill to the table.

2. They often talk about how they accept their children wholeheartedly, and want to nurture them as they make their way down the path god created for them; yet, they feel the need to force their children to be their own model of perfection. There is a lot of speculation on whether or not there is any kind of animosity between Josiah and his parents after the announcement of Jubilee; but there is no denying that they are bent on turning Joy into a clone of her sisters. Just look at Jinger. In earlier seasons, I saw hope for Jinger, that maybe she'd be the one to break free on her own. Now, I see less and less of that as the days go on. They've almost completely succeeded at breaking her spirit and now they're turning their attention towards Joy.

3. They talk about being loving, god-fearing Christians who love all of god's creations. Yet, they turn around and judge others mercilessly. Anyone who isn't "one of them" is condemned or is someone to change. Heck, look at Cousin Amy. In early years, she was the wild child, someone to look to when things were getting too extreme. Now, she's becoming J'Amy. Granted, I don't think she'd go completely into their camp, or at least before marriage, but I can see that they're really trying to "save her" with much success.

4. They have this sense of entitlement, like somehow being a large family earns you rights and privileges not afforded to those with small/non-existent families. I somewhat understand Duggar-Time (my own family was pretty good at not being punctual when I was younger), but they take it to the extreme. They should know how long it takes to get out the door and compensate for that. Sure, there will ALWAYS be hiccups, but you shouldn't just be starting to pack 20 minutes before you need to be somewhere that's 30 minutes away. Furthermore, they do their best to inconvenience others before inconveniencing themselves. The episode with the girl dying of cancer is a PERFECT example of this. In all the time that the family as spent going back and forth to LR, and with all that time they spent at the hospital while Josie was sick, they couldn't have possibly thought to honor that girl's wish at a time and place that was convenient to her? Instead, they made her drive TWO HOURS to meet and greet with a few of them before driving TWO HOURS back home while she was still suffering from the ill effects of chemo? They didn't even offer to put her up for the night, or pay for her to stay somewhere for the nights. Such shameful behavior.

5. Their speaking engagements being filmed for the show. I get it, they're a large family. I get it, they're christian. I get it, they think they can play the violin. I get it, the "wrote" some books about their lives. What I don't get is why TLC feels that we really want to see this REPEATEDLY, or even once. If I wanted to see a Duggar speaking engagement, I would GO to a Duggar speaking engagement.

6. Their complete lack of interest in their children. If children are such a blessing, why on earth do they ignore them so much. I can almost understand passing off the not so glamorous roles in parenting. If having someone else deal with the dirty diaper allows you to cuddle with a few children or have a deep conversation about another child's goals, then it's excusable. That isn't the case though. Michele passes off the care of the children and then focuses on working out or otherwise avoiding parental responsibilities/chores while Jim Bob goes and plays with his toys or buys another property or whatever it is he does while the children are working. They don't even have an updated idea of what the kids want to be when they grow up, or "grow up."

7. Their made up words or definitions for words. There are SO MANY words in the English language. I don't understand why they feel the need to spout off these ridiculous words. I understand that many (if not all) of them are normal "Fundie Speak" but that doesn't mean that all fundies need to be that incapable of using the English language. That would be like me saying "well it's normal for people my age to spell definitely wrong; so, clearly, I must as well."

8. Their inability to clearly define privacy both in terms of what areas should be private and what events should be private. The film crew is not allowed to film in the girls' bedroom because the girls want privacy, but the film crew is allowed in the boys' bedroom. And sometimes they're allowed in the girls' bedroom; it's more of a by day thing, I guess. Then to turn that around and show incredibly personal moments that really ought to only be witnessed by those present at the time, like the death of their grandfather or the miscarriage? Boundaries only exist when it's in the best interest for the show.

9. When the girls where harmlessly chatting (maybe a tiny bit flirting) with the boy when they were at the Dead Sea and Jim Bob felt it completely necessary to swoop in and "save them" from a completely harmless, normal social interaction. I understand that ATI/Gothard teaches that such behaviors are not pure and defraud men, but there is a point when you, as a parent, need to sit back and realize that your adult children have every right to behave however they like in a social setting.

10. Babysitting. Babysitting is a term used when you are NOT the primary caregiver/guardian/parent. It's a term that means this once in a while deal and that you have no real authority over these children once the real caregiver/parent/guardian gets back. Yet, Jim Bob "babysits" his own children?! That's completely ridiculous. As a father, he should hold at least half of the childcare job. Even if he doesn't do midnight feedings or diapers, he should at least help with the younger/middle children. And with 9 daughters, he should know some sort of basic hair-do for the children and how to match their outfits. He should also have a better grasp of how to "deal with them" instead of allowing them to consistently find themselves in precarious situations. Yet, his reliance on his daughters is even more apparent than Michele's, and that says something!

Anyways, I think that's enough for now.

Welcome to FJ.

The NAMES. Boob, Jchelle.....you DO realize that there are 25 other perfectly usable letters in our alphabet, right? It seems you must, as they have a variety of middle names, but it really, really is okay for them to have different initials. Their surname will still signify them as part of your family (along with your wacky dress and wacko beliefs). They don't all need to start with J. I promise.

Boob, Jchelle.....you DO realize that there are 25 other perfectly usable letters in our alphabet, right?

24 other letters. Be reasonable. I'd like to see them have a horde of kids with names all starting with X!

24 other letters. Be reasonable. I'd like to see them have a horde of kids with names all starting with X!

No, I want them to keep going with the Js until they're forced to use Jesus and Judas.

Oh lord, where do I begin...

-First off, I'm Christian and I am not deceived by their fake wholesome act. I have a bullshit detector and I can see right through them. They and their ilk are not what I consider good Christians. However, I know many people who have fallen for it and I've made it a mission to educate them heh.

-Related to that first one, I had a friend who tried telling me they were a good family because J'Michelle is "very organized" and a "good mother." I don't get why J'Michelle keeps winning all these Mother of the Year awards when it's so blatantly obvious that the oldest girls are the ones running that house while J'Michelle and Jim Boob screw do god knows what.

-I explained to my friend that J'Michelle is a fraud and that the older girls are being used as surrogate mothers to their own siblings, something they didn't ask for, which is another thing that bothers me so much. "But in big families, siblings do help out!" Yes, they do help out, and that's fine. BUT THE DUGGAR SISTERS ARE BASICALLY RAISING THEIR OWN SIBLINGS! And when you look at the teams, if J'Michelle handed off one of the twins (forget which one) to Jessa when he was six months old, that meant Jessa was in charge of raising an infant when she was SIX YEARS OLD. How the hell is that right or commendable? Isn't Jinger buddy to one of the twins as well? Meaning she was FIVE when she assumed mothering duties? When I put it in that perspective, then my friend realized she was wrong all along about the Duggars. And my work was done heh.

-That really does irritate me. Those poor girls had NO childhood because they were too occupied with being little mommies, all because their own mother couldn't be bothered to raise her own children.

-They've stunted their children, intellectually and socially, and seem to be proud of it. When they're really just setting them all up for a lifetime of failure. How will they be able to make a living and support their own gigantic families with subpar educations and a very rudimentary handle on dealing with the "outside world?" Jim Boob can't hand out jobs for all of those boys, can he?

-Josh is a useless, bigoted, and lazy piece of scurf. Is that a legitimate enough reason?

-I was beyond disgusted with how they handled Josie's birth and Jubilee's miscarriage. Both of them were paraded around by their awful attention whore parents as political pro-life stunts. And then they keep saying they want more but will "leave it up to God." Which, we know, translates to "Gotta get #20 so we beat out the Bates family!" How they could even talk about having more babies while Josie was in the NICU, clinging to life, was beyond disgusting. That woman needs therapy or something because she's either addicted to babies or pregnancy or something.

-And, related to that. Just how they pimp their kids out in general. Drag them half-awake in front of the camera for the Today Show to announce the arrival of their next ~blessing~, air graphic footage of wisdom teeth removal, film Anna giving birth on the toilet. They'll do anything for money!

There's many other reasons why I can't stand them, but these are the biggest.

Edited for grammar

Oh lord, where do I begin...

-First off, I'm Christian and I am not deceived by their fake wholesome act. I have a bullshit detector and I can see right through them. They and their ilk are not what I consider good Christians. However, I know many people who have fallen for it and I've made it a mission to educate them heh.

-Related to that first one, I had a friend who tried telling me they were a good family because J'Michelle is "very organized" and a "good mother." I don't get why J'Michelle keeps winning all these Mother of the Year awards when it's so blatantly obvious that the oldest girls are the ones running that house while J'Michelle and Jim Boob screw do god knows what.

-I explained to my friend that J'Michelle is a fraud and that the older girls are being used as surrogate mothers to their own siblings, something they didn't ask for, which is another thing that bothers me so much. "But in big families, siblings do help out!" Yes, they do help out, and that's fine. BUT THE DUGGAR SISTERS ARE BASICALLY RAISING THEIR OWN SIBLINGS! And when you look at the teams, if J'Michelle handed off one of the twins (forget which one) to Jessa when he was six months old, that meant Jessa was in charge of raising an infant when she was SIX YEARS OLD. How the hell is that right or commendable? Isn't Jinger buddy to one of the twins as well? Meaning she was FIVE when she assumed mothering duties? When I put it in that perspective, then my friend realized she was wrong all along about the Duggars. And my work was done heh.

-That really does irritate me. Those poor girls had NO childhood because they were too occupied with being little mommies, all because their own mother couldn't be bothered to raise her own children.

-They've stunted their children, intellectually and socially, and seem to be proud of it. When they're really just setting them all up for a lifetime of failure. How will they be able to make a living and support their own gigantic families with subpar educations and a very rudimentary handle on dealing with the "outside world?" Jim Boob can't hand out jobs for all of those boys, can he?

-Josh is a useless, bigoted, and lazy piece of scurf. Is that a legitimate enough reason?

-I was beyond disgusted with how they handled Josie's birth and Jubilee's miscarriage. Both of them were paraded around by their awful attention whore parents as political pro-life stunts. And then they keep saying they want more but will "leave it up to God." Which, we know, translates to "Gotta get #20 so we beat out the Bates family!" How they could even talk about having more babies while Josie was in the NICU, clinging to life, was beyond disgusting. That woman needs therapy or something because she's either addicted to babies or pregnancy or something.

-And, related to that. Just how they pimp their kids out in general. Drag them half-awake in front of the camera for the Today Show to announce the arrival of their next ~blessing~, air graphic footage of wisdom teeth removal, film Anna giving birth on the toilet. They'll do anything for money!

There's many other reasons why I can't stand them, but these are the biggest.

Edited for grammar[/quote

I have encountered people who use "the usual siblings help out" defense for the Duggars. It is annoying. My mom was the youngest of eight kids and her older siblings did help out when my grandparents needed them to, but they didn't raise my mom. My mom's siblings left home between the ages of 18-20. When my mom's siblings were teenagers they played sports and had hobbies outside the home. The J'Slaves don't have any interests of their own. The things they do outside the home are approved by Boob and Mullet. Jana and Jill were in the fire department only because John David was in it too.

Lurker for a few weeks, decided to join as a member as FJ fascinates me!

It's probably been mentioned in this thread already, but I get annoyed with the occasions when the Duggar girls (including Anna) are asked a question during one of the interview spots, and they always seem to hesitate and look for direction/permission from other family members before they can speak! Anna does this quite often with Josh, and it makes me feel like they aren't allowed to have independent thought at all.

Lurker for a few weeks, decided to join as a member as FJ fascinates me!

It's probably been mentioned in this thread already, but I get annoyed with the occasions when the Duggar girls (including Anna) are asked a question during one of the interview spots, and they always seem to hesitate and look for direction/permission from other family members before they can speak! Anna does this quite often with Josh, and it makes me feel like they aren't allowed to have independent thought at all.

IKR, I just saw the episode of "Say Yes to the Dress" that they were on and that was something I noticed even gown shopping! The consultant turned her back on JB and asked Michelle if that was HER dress (already knew JB liked it) and Michelle did a quick "what do you say" look to JB and he gave an almost imperceptible nod. Like SERIOU SLY?? You aren't even permitted to pick out your own dress?? WTH?

Archived