IGNORED

What bugs you about the Duggars

homeschoolmomma1

All of the above, +

Michelle's creepy baby voice

The empty eyes on most of them

Their mindless defenders/the influence they have on the public who don't see beneath the surface

Some of their defenders are fundies who know exactly what the Duggars are doing. Then there are some non-fundie fans that don't see beneath the surface. To them, they eat up the phony smiles and Mullet's baby voice. They also defend the Duggars' buddy system with the excuse that it has been used before in other families. Other families have used the buddy system before, but some families use it differently. My mom grew up in a family of 8 kids. Her family owned a ranch and my grandmother often did a lot of ranch duties. My mom was cared for at times by older siblings. But in my mom's family, the kids left between the ages of 18-20. They also weren't completely controlled by my grandparents.

It annoys me that some Duggar lovers fail to see that the J'Slaves really aren't living for themselves. Jill doing midwife traning and Jana working for ATI are approved Duggar jobs/training.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I loathe how they make the older girls do everything. I was the oldest of five and while I didn't have it nearly as bad as the older Duggar girls, I still didn't like it when I got in trouble for things my siblings did that I wasn't even present for. I can't imagine having to be a surrogate mother like the Duggar girls. It's not right for one thing. They didn't ask for all those siblings. Michelle and Jim Bob made 'em, they should take care of 'em.

The hypocrisy is ridiculous too. Their fertility and how many children they have can't possibly be left up to god when the older daughters are made to hawk watch Ma Duggar's cycle. Also, while I'm all for saving innocent lives, I'm puzzled that the Duggars seemed perfectly okay with all that science and medicine that saved Josie's life.

(snip)

The science shit, you can not teach anything with ignoring science. How can do you physics with out 'science'. How old are the Egyptian Pyramids, how did those get build with out machines? How can you explore that with out google? (snip)

That just makes me want to cry. These are first-world kids. Their entire well-being and world is based on science. And their parents aren't like you, but kill off curiosity and questions. That just makes me so angry at the Duggars!

I homeschool so I 'understand' some of the homeschool theory but you STILL NEED TO EDUCATE YOUR KIDS.. and the PARENTS need to do the educating.

Going to ONE political rally is ok as a learning field trip. Taking 6 months to tail a campaign is NOT ok.

Having kids who are interested in building is great, get them to a lego club, taking a year off to build a friggin house is NOT OK.

My first introduction to the Duggers was on PZ Myers' blog, where they showed the episode at the Creation Museum. I thought that the anti-science stuff would be the worst, but then I saw the trip abroad... I wasn't so much angered as bewildered. They didn't seem to know anything about any of the countries they visited: not just the things that could possibly conflict with Gothard doctrine, like Stonehenge, but really basic facts that I would expect an under-10 set to have some awareness of through primary school literature, language, history, geography and religious studies. It was clear that they could read and do basic arithmetic, but that's where their education ends - they seemed as unfamiliar about the history of Christianity :?: as with fairly common English/ Irish menu items.

It was pretty shocking to me because I teach older secondary students, and I've never encountered someone from the developed world who did not have exposure to a basic primary school level education. The Duggars also lack the skill sets and acumen that teenagers in developing nations acquire through interaction with the world. I don't know how even the older boys would be able to navigate the outside world with that level of incognizance.

It's an interesting contrast, hearing the about the way FJers homeschool ("I need to address x issue in my child's education; therefore, I'm going to do y to meet that requirement") and Michelle's baby-voiced assertions that her kids are just learning so much, or Jim Bob's claims that they're going to be turning out brain surgeons and rocket scientists... sometime soon.

Okay I know we can continue to add to this list but I thought it would be interesting to see the list.

* The way they homeschool- there is no organization

*They are never at home to 'home'school.I personally think this who election thing is a waste of time and resources

* They think that you can just redue something if you get it wrong. Although not always a bad thing but let's be realistic. Were we all allowed to redue chapters and tests throughout school? at work? I wonder how much they redue with their schoolwork? do they redue tests?

*Duggar Time

I actually think that the election thing is the BEST education the Duggar kids have ever had the opportunity to obtain. They are seeing things about the real world that even their personal appearances would not allow. They have gotten close to a Catholic family, something that would have been completely unthinkable even a year ago. They are exposed to the tougher side of the press. They are part of the gritty reality of the campaign trail. They are seeing men and women behaving all sorts of ways, drinking beer even. As crazy batshit right wing as Frothy is, his daughter goes to a regular University. They are reading copy, listenting to speeches written and rehearsed, witnessing legal counsel trying to keep Frothy from going to far over the line. They are observing fundraising strategies and budgeting resources for the campaign.

I think that the time on the Insanitorum campaign is the BEST life lesson the Duggar kids have ever gotten to help them function as adults in this world.

My first introduction to the Duggers was on PZ Myers' blog, where they showed the episode at the Creation Museum. I thought that the anti-science stuff would be the worst, but then I saw the trip abroad... I wasn't so much angered as bewildered. They didn't seem to know anything about any of the countries they visited: not just the things that could possibly conflict with Gothard doctrine, like Stonehenge, but really basic facts that I would expect an under-10 set to have some awareness of through primary school literature, language, history, geography and religious studies. It was clear that they could read and do basic arithmetic, but that's where their education ends - they seemed as unfamiliar about the history of Christianity :?: as with fairly common English/ Irish menu items.

That was hilarious, but sad, at the one restaurant where none of them seemed to get that the names of the foods were not literal. Even if you didn't know what they were, there are similarly-named foods in America (eg, pigs in a blanket) so that you could make the comparison that it's probably not really a literal toad in a hole. I think it was Anna who said she wouldn't eat toad.

I was confused why they were even visiting Stonehenge but now I'm just going to go with they were too stupid to have any knowledge of what it was before it was too late. Probably good in the long run because the kids got exposed to something non-Gothard-approved.

The biggest serious concern I have with them is the lack of opportunities for their daughters, and education fail in general.

Non-serious issue is Michelle's voice. OMG I know people who talk like that in real life and it is so grating :evil:

Michelle Duggar uses the same soft, high pitched baby voice as did Michael Jackson.

Only she has no talent.

Some of their defenders are fundies who know exactly what the Duggars are doing. Then there are some non-fundie fans that don't see beneath the surface. To them, they eat up the phony smiles and Mullet's baby voice. They also defend the Duggars' buddy system with the excuse that it has been used before in other families. Other families have used the buddy system before, but some families use it differently. My mom grew up in a family of 8 kids. Her family owned a ranch and my grandmother often did a lot of ranch duties. My mom was cared for at times by older siblings. But in my mom's family, the kids left between the ages of 18-20. They also weren't completely controlled by my grandparents.

It annoys me that some Duggar lovers fail to see that the J'Slaves really aren't living for themselves. Jill doing midwife traning and Jana working for ATI are approved Duggar jobs/training.

Sorry that I wasn't clear. It was exactly these people that I meant: the run-of-the-mill TLC viewer or reader of their blog (obviously has access to cable TV and/or internet) who doesn't know the batshit crazy philosophy behind it all, yet defends what a good, happy family they are. I also meant the subset of people who could get sucked into some of the dangerous beliefs that don't have anything to do with Gothard/QF, such as the environmental/overpopulation issues, because they only see the shiny veneer.

The fact that they think their sons don't have enough self-control to not look at a scantily-clad woman (Nike? Really?) or be around a woman alone. If you can't handle seeing a woman in short-shorts and a tank top (an example) then YOU are the one with the issue and need some serious help, not the person dressed in that outfit.

Another thing I can't stand is the lack of education. I grew up with a very well-rounded education (and I'm about to finish my education degree) and it pains me that these kids have never been to an art museum or legit science museum. Art museums are a wonderful place to talk about culture and history. Science museums are a great way to introduce basic scientific principles and provide a springboard for further study.

Okay I know we can continue to add to this list but I thought it would be interesting to see the list.

* The way they homeschool- there is no organization

*They are never at home to 'home'school.I personally think this who election thing is a waste of time and resources

* They think that you can just redue something if you get it wrong. Although not always a bad thing but let's be realistic. Were we all allowed to redue chapters and tests throughout school? at work? I wonder how much they redue with their schoolwork? do they redue tests?

*Duggar Time

I totally agree with your points, but the word is "redo", not "redue".

The SOTDRT. Obviously the kids have varying levels of intelligence, but I feel like they all have/had tons of potential. The way JB&M have "educated" their children is a disgrace. They have 7(?) kids who have supposedly graduated from high school, and between all of them they have one GED and half a lay midwife training program. Hell, even if they consider being spouses and parents the #1 thing to aspire to, they only have 1 kid who has actually done that and he only had to do the easy part :roll: And yes, people really do look up to them out of all proportion as some kind of super parents. What accomplishments have their children achieved that would justify people's good opinions of JB&M? I can't think of anything.

I hate the fact that even their ADULT children are kept as slaves with no chance of escape. They can't even leave the house without someone "chaperoning" them to make sure they continue to toe the line at all times. Once a person turns 18, they should have some control over their own life & future, but not in Duggarland. The fact that the girls/women will be kept at home til they're handed off to the highest bidder. The fact that higher education - something most parents want for their children - is forbiden. The way they squelch all personality, vibrancy, and dreams from their children and turn them into drones. It sickens me.

Michelle's baby voice reminds me of a Relief Society President I knew when I was with my Mormon ex-husband.

I also don't like how the adults are treated as slaves, only to be given to the highest bidder. Another thing is how completely ignorant JB is about overpopulation and his comment about chicken pox, when the truth is, his kids will eventually get shingles when they're adults. I hate to think of how a gay Duggar child will be treated, as they would most certainly be shunned with a SOTDRT education and be forced to fend for themselves with that "education." They really give homeschoolers who are actually teaching their children a bad name.

The shiny clean image they portray as if this particular lifestyle will result in perfect children with no issues mentally or physically and that god will always provide.

Coming from that lifestyle: my father is depressed, my mother has severe anxiety, I have borderline personality disorder and PTSD (thanks mom and dad!), my sister has the same diagnosis as me, my other sister is with a drug dealer and pops pills, and my other sister is addicted to plastic surgery (at 24) and engaged to some guy straight out of Jersey Shore.

Great testament mom and dad!

The fact that they think their sons don't have enough self-control to not look at a scantily-clad woman (Nike? Really?) or be around a woman alone. If you can't handle seeing a woman in short-shorts and a tank top (an example) then YOU are the one with the issue and need some serious help, not the person dressed in that outfit.

Another thing I can't stand is the lack of education. I grew up with a very well-rounded education (and I'm about to finish my education degree) and it pains me that these kids have never been to an art museum or legit science museum. Art museums are a wonderful place to talk about culture and history. Science museums are a great way to introduce basic scientific principles and provide a springboard for further study.

Awwwww.....NIKE and everything it stands for is one of my biggest problems with the Duggars. Now the God Nike is alright in my book, but the Duggar's Nike needs to be beaten to death in the prayer closet. Any women wearing a tank top is A FUCKING SLUT. Look away son before she turns your penis to stone.

I am also bothered by the lack of forethought about their kid's futures.

God has a plan. God will guide them. Nope. Sorry. Not going to happen.

I am not saying god does or does not have a plan for each of us or that god does guide us, but god isn't actually living with, talking to, feeding, playing, ect. with any of their children directly. Nope that is why god made you parents to do that shit with your kids. So they can learn how to set goals to guide their lives in the direction they want to go in.

But then, Jim Bop and Michelle, would actually have to come down from their vapid, cotton candy, bullshit, Gothard approved, dream world long enough to actually acknowledge their responsibilities as parents and take on those responsibilities. Rather than shove them on their oldest daughters because they don't see their daughters as vibrant, young ladies. Nope. They see the as future broodmares, so it best to start to train them early to fullfill their godly duties as wife and mother.

They would have to actually admit that each of their children are actually unique individuals that each have different needs and have the ability to think for themselves.

So much bothers me about the Duggars, but it's their extreme belief system that bugs me the most, and the way they isolate their children from society and keep the older girls as house slaves that really gets on my nerves. It seems to border on child abuse.

I totally agree with your points, but the word is "redo", not "redue".

I apologize I have been up for the last 20 hours with sick kids. I will remember to check next time

Umm...

-Josh

-Michelle

-The fact that all the books they read in homeschool (or ever) are fundie-written crap. I'm sure they've never touched a classic, except for maybe some Bowdlerized Jane Austen. (The episode that finally turned me off the Duggars after months of admiration of them was the one where they visited a public school. There was a blurb comparing the public school reading list to Duggar reading lists. It was very telling.)

-The fact that Michelle told the public school kids, "My name is Michelle, but you can call me Mrs. Duggar."

-How they pretend that building houses and spending months on the campaign trail is giving their children a better education than actual school. They once referred to building the house as "the best learning experience there ever was." Um, just because Michelle can teach "per-pen-dic-u-lar" doesn't mean it's anything remotely close to math or school.

-How abominably they behaved on their trip to Europe, how disrespectful, how philistine, how clueless. Michelle jaywalking and then blaming the Scottish drivers for not stopping for her and her brood. All of them being idiotic about Stonehenge. How rude they were at the Ethiopian restaurant in DC. Their general lack of culture.

-The fact that they are dumb as dirt about overpopulation, evolution, and basically everything else. They can't even get their theology straight either; the rules they follow are a stupid hodgepodge of Mosaic and New Testament laws that they don't understand the significance of/difference between at all.

-The fact that they don't seem to do any actual, serious, extended charity or volunteering unless it's connected to proselytizing or something they can film for the show.

-The fact that they think their kids are well-educated and polite.

-The fact that they forgot J'Caleb in their baby count until the Internetz called them out on it.

I actually think that the election thing is the BEST education the Duggar kids have ever had the opportunity to obtain. They are seeing things about the real world that even their personal appearances would not allow. They have gotten close to a Catholic family, something that would have been completely unthinkable even a year ago.

Will it benefit them in any significant way? The big failure of their education seems to be a complete inability to engage in higher level thought. They can't make connections between areas of knowledge or transfer concepts - as a previous poster noted, they could not understand that 'toad-in-the-hole' was probably not a literal description when there are American food items with similar, fanciful names like pigs in a blanket or hush puppies. This type of ability should be well-developed by the age of 10 or 12. It's also very strange that they seemed so incurious about a free trip around the world. Homeschooling should provide the opportunity to do a lot of age (and jender)-appropriate research before an excursion. It's not like the BBC recipes website contains defrauding information on evolution or LGBT issues; they could prepare the little ones by trying some of the foods they might encounter/ seek out on arrival in Scotland or Israel. I know it's weird to harp on this one incident at a restaurant, but it provides a concrete example of how the deficits in their skill + lack of empathy + misplaced confidence (which = ability) prevents them from engaging in independent learning.

Will they start to read up on the history of Christianity to know what Catholics believe and why? Will they understand the differences between the Oriental, Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches? Could they discuss the effect of Aristotelian philosophy on Catholic doctrine and explain how those ideas have influenced the various Protestant denominations? I'm not even sure they could analyse Santorum's campaign in terms of finances beyond "Santorum didn't have enough money because Americans have lost faith in Jesus".

Umm...

-How they pretend that building houses and spending months on the campaign trail is giving their children a better education than actual school. They once referred to building the house as "the best learning experience there ever was." Um, just because Michelle can teach "per-pen-dic-u-lar" doesn't mean it's anything remotely close to math or school.

I don't know, I could have used that lesson in my college algebra class because I never could figure out the proper way to figure out how to determine the equation of a line that was perpendicular to the original.

Oh wait...that's not what she was talking about...nevermind.

I don't know, I could have used that lesson in my college algebra class because I never could figure out the proper way to figure out how to determine the equation of a line that was perpendicular to the original.

It has the negative reciprocal slope! Now, how many Duggars do we think know that...

Another thing I hate about them that I forgot to mention is that (as someone else said) they really don't know anything about Christianity...I mean, seriously, Jim Bob, King James did not personally translate the King James Bible. They probably think Christ was born on Christmas and God rested on a Sunday, too.

Guest Anonymous

What bugs me the most is that a lot of their fans have no idea what they are really about like we do. I hate that the older girls are raising the little ones and that they don't prepare their children for the real world.

Will it benefit them in any significant way? The big failure of their education seems to be a complete inability to engage in higher level thought. They can't make connections between areas of knowledge or transfer concepts - as a previous poster noted, they could not understand that 'toad-in-the-hole' was probably not a literal description when there are American food items with similar, fanciful names like pigs in a blanket or hush puppies. This type of ability should be well-developed by the age of 10 or 12. It's also very strange that they seemed so incurious about a free trip around the world. Homeschooling should provide the opportunity to do a lot of age (and jender)-appropriate research before an excursion. It's not like the BBC recipes website contains defrauding information on evolution or LGBT issues; they could prepare the little ones by trying some of the foods they might encounter/ seek out on arrival in Scotland or Israel. I know it's weird to harp on this one incident at a restaurant, but it provides a concrete example of how the deficits in their skill + lack of empathy + misplaced confidence (which = ability) prevents them from engaging in independent learning.

Will they start to read up on the history of Christianity to know what Catholics believe and why? Will they understand the differences between the Oriental, Eastern Orthodox and Roman Catholic churches? Could they discuss the effect of Aristotelian philosophy on Catholic doctrine and explain how those ideas have influenced the various Protestant denominations? I'm not even sure they could analyse Santorum's campaign in terms of finances beyond "Santorum didn't have enough money because Americans have lost faith in Jesus".

I do not know how far the exposure to the grittier side of humanity that is a political campaign will take them, but yes, I DO think that it will benefit the kids in a significant way. It is giving them enough information to question the truth of the insular world in which they have always lived. They are certainly getting a civics lesson in action as they maneuver through the political process. How many people get to actually live history by participating in it? This is real hands on learning. Insanitorum is constantly heckled and glitterbomged and questioned. I stand by my feeling that partipating in an election is an educational experience. I did it (For Bill Clinton). My kids did it for various candidiates. One of my children is now involved in politics. Is it better to learn ow politicians get elected by reading a book? By reading fox news? Or by living it?

Oh wait...that's not what she was talking about...nevermind.

She didn't even correctly teach them what perpendicular means. Being able to pronounce it is nice, but it won't do anything for you if you think it means "straight up and down".

My apologies for snipping the vast majority of this quote, as I found it well reasoned & I agreed with many points... but what jumped out at me was what I first thought was a typo, and wouldn't normally point out, because I understand that people are typing quickly, or are tired, or whatever, but after a minute, I started to think that it was intentional...

(and jender)-appropriate

If it was intentional, I say :clap:

Archived