IGNORED

Frothy says he'll drop out if Mittens gets 1,144 delegates

Witsec7

"If Governor Romney gets that required number, then without a doubt, if he's at that number, we'll step aside," Santorum told Savannah Guthrie on NBC's "Meet the Press." "But right now, he's not there. He's not even close to it. Like I said, less than half of the delegates have been selected. We've got a long way to go. We're going to fight to make sure we can win."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/0 ... 94749.html

For the FJs in states who have not yet had primaries or caucuses, please consider temporarily registering as an R in order to give Mittens the vote. If its an open primary you can vote regardless of party affiliation, but a vote for Mittens is a vote against frothy.

This is not just about a presidential election, its about our next president nominating supreme court justices who will hear the appeals on much of the anti woman legislation that has been in the headlines.

I understand the concern, but I honestly think that neither Romney nor Santorum have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Obama. Especially Santorum. If I was on the Obama campaign I'd be peeing in my (gasp!) pants at the prospect of running a campaign against Santorum. Obama would easily take CA, NY, NJ, OH, WI, IL, MO, MA, IA, OR and WA. He'd also most likely take FL. I think the only "major" states Santorum could win would be TX and (possibly) PA.

I understand the concern, but I honestly think that neither Romney nor Santorum have a snowball's chance in hell of beating Obama. Especially Santorum. If I was on the Obama campaign I'd be peeing in my (gasp!) pants at the prospect of running a campaign against Santorum. Obama would easily take CA, NY, NJ, OH, WI, IL, MO, MA, IA, OR and WA. He'd also most likely take FL. I think the only "major" states Santorum could win would be TX and (possibly) PA.

Its highly doubted that frothy could take PA. Mittens can take Boregonia if he mobilizes the Mormon vote in the metro areas and carries the eastern side of the Cascades (traditionally red). NJ has a reputation for voting for Republicans and against their own best interests. TX is not going to yield any meaningful Democratic electors. California was stupid enough to elect Ahnold.

I don't think our rights should be left to chance, mobilization is the only way to win an election, and even then, we could face the kind of debacle we faced in FL. I'm not generally a paranoid person but it can happen again.

Experiencedd, do you think that Romney will appoint different types of justices than Santorum would? I'm kind of think Romney would pander to the GOP base, which includes the religious right, and we'd get the same types of justices appointed with either one, but maybe not.

Experiencedd, do you think that Romney will appoint different types of justices than Santorum would? I'm kind of think Romney would pander to the GOP base, which includes the religious right, and we'd get the same types of justices appointed with either one, but maybe not.

Not saying that there wouldn't be issues with Romney appointees (and I am not particularly fond of Romney), but I do think there would be significant differences.

There has been much discussion (on the left) regarding this issue. There are no qualifications required for a SCJ. Early in the campaign frothy mentioned he would not be bound to appoint atnys to any vacancies should he be elected.

There has been much discussion (on the left) regarding this issue. There are no qualifications required for a SCJ. Early in the campaign frothy mentioned he would not be bound to appoint atnys to any vacancies should he be elected.

Unfortunately I didn't realize it was open here in MN, although Ron Paul got a lot of support here, and he probably would've been the least of the evils IMO. But don't you think Obama has a better chance of beating Santorum? Both Frothy and Mittens as President scare me. And actually now that I'm typing this, having heard out of my Baptist grandfather's mouth that Mormonism is a "cult," I think he will just stay home (He's in OK and would definitely vote for Frothy.) if Mittens is the nominee, so it's hard to say. Either way Obama has no chance in OK, but I hope he has a chance here in MN.

I do wish that at least Ron Paul would drop out!

NJ does have a history of Republican governors (usually after a Democrat has royally screwed up the job -- see Christie's election after the Corzine debacle). However, NJ is generally a VERY blue state. The second the polls closed in 2008, NJ was called for Obama and that was against McCain, who is much less wacko than the current crop of Republican contenders. CA may have voted for Arnold as governor but I don't know if anyone thinks a Republican (other than Reagan) could win that state in a national election.

I understand the dangers of complacency, but I think there is an overestimation of the chances any current Republican contender has against Obama. Santorum as the candidate would be a disaster for the Republicans. Romney less so, but it seems he hasn't shown the charisma or vision that voters want in a president. I'm not sure how else to put it -- Romney just doesn't seem "presidential."

I do hope I'm an alarmist. I don't want to live out my dotage under a fascist republican regime that is a cross between Atlas Shrugged and The Handmaids tale.

I don't believe there would be substantial differences between the justices Santorum would appoint versus the justices Romney would appoint, particularly if the appointments came up during Romney's first term. He would pander to the base because he would absolutely need to in order to win a second term. In the best case scenario, we could expect more Thomases and Alitos, and there are definitely worse case scenarios than the likes of those two.

While justices possibly not being attorneys is troubling, it is not my primary concern in the scheme of things with Santorum. Plus there is no shortage of extremist attorneys, anyway.

I wish I had your confidence........ :? :? :? :?

I certainly think Romney would appoint conservatives to the bench. But Santorum is big on states rights like Ron Paul. I think that in appointing tenthers to the bench Santorum would then throw RvW out to the individual states.

I wish I had your confidence........ :? :? :? :?

Easily? No, not easily in most of the states you name, gilora. I was pretty involved in the 2008 campaign and I can tell you that this time around, in Ohio, a very vital swing state, there is no such confidence among democrats actively involved in the President's re-election. Not even close.

My dad voted in Illinois... for Santorum. He was trying to make a point about Romney.... but he voted FOR FUCKING SANTORUM. :angry-screaming: :puke-left:

If Rick loses PA on the 24th I say he is out. He is close to broke and if he can't win his "home" state his support will be nill. If Mitt takes PA and NY and the other small delegates states between now and the 24th Mitt will have close to 900 delegates and I can't see Rick being able to continue.

I live in Utah which is the last state and I I was surprised though that my husband friend who is an LDS bishop was thinking of voting for Rick! His friend is a big hunter and liked Rick's gun policy. Not to worry my husband sat him down and within a few minutes Rick was no longer in consideration.

I do hope I'm an alarmist. I don't want to live out my dotage under a fascist republican regime that is a cross between Atlas Shrugged and The Handmaids tale.

I don't think you are. I am getting a passport in case I need to go to Canada.

I am in no hurry whatsoever for Santorum or Gingrich to drop out. The longer they are duking it out with each other, the better.

My long term plans include moving to the UK if Santorum gets the presidency. Should he actually get the nod, I will be living in Ohio and will volunteer for the Obama campaign just to feel like I've done enough to try and stop Frothy. Unfortunately the Froth had a rather successful rally in Cincinnati before Super Tuesday and the city itself is fairly Catholic and conservative... sigh.

If you're liberal/for sure for Obama, I'd think you'd WANT Santorum to be the candidate. I would never, ever, ever vote for him. I would, however, consider Romney. (I'm a moderate, socially liberal for the most part).

I'm from Missouri, so didn't bother to consider whether or not to sabotage-vote for Santorum in the primary, since votes don't translate into delegates here (so in effect, meaningless, and we have a very confusing both-a-primary-and-a-caucus thing going on this year). On a lighter note, my mom sent me an awesome link today, since she is coooolz:

Happy April Fool's Day, wish fulfillment edition:

http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/03/31/republicans-reveal-that-entire-presidential-race-was-a-prank/

*edited for clarity, in my imperfect understanding of convoluted electoral policies

Guest Anonymous

With elements of Children Of the Corn and Lord Of The Flies just for shits and giggles. I regrettably DON'T think you are an alarmist.

Ultimately, I think Romney will get the nomination, but I confess that I have been enjoying the fact that Santorum is making Romney spend, spend, and spend some more to buy the votes he needs. When this election cycle began, I thought Romney would have a fairly easy time of it, knocking off the contenders one by one. To my surprise, Santorum has hung in there. What I believe is that Romney is not well liked by most Republican voters (and honestly, is that any surprise. He's completely unlikeable with his anecdotes about his wealthy friends, how he enjoys firing people, and lately, the way he's been running down his own father = shades of JimBob Duggar!). The only Republican contender who has generated much enthusiasm is Santorum, but that's only with a small segment of the Republican voters - people like the Bates and the Duggars. What I've read says that voter turnout for the primaries has been low, indicating low voter enthusiasm for any GOP candidate on the slate.

But Romney has the money and the backing of the GOP powers that be, and they will ensure that he gets the nomination. Besides which, Santorum has already begun to shoot himself in the foot by inserting it repeatedly in his mouth re his views on abortion, women working outside the home, etc. I don't like Santorum, but I appreciate that he simply can't keep his real beliefs under wraps long enough to fool enough people to get the nomination.

Then Romney will run against the President, and he'll lose. Pres. Obama will get a 2nd term, and I hope he really cuts loose and pushes back against the Republicans figuring "what have I got to lose? I can't run for a 3rd term."

(I have a friend who remains Republican, despite the fact that she's not a conservative religious person. I think she is dismayed by her own party, but can't bring herself to switch to being a Democrat. She voted for Obama in the last election, and I bet she will again, rather than vote for either Romney or Santorum. I also think a lot of Republicans will simply choose not to vote, feeling they don't want either choice presented to them. And if Romney gets the nomination, I believe many of those staunch Santorum supporters will not be able to bring themselves to vote for Romney instead.)

Archived