IGNORED

So, how did you all find Free Jinger?

Daenerys

I wanted to find out why poor Josiah was seemingly blamed for Michelle's miscarriage and ended up here after some googling. I don't really watch the Duggars anymore (they went from "nice but truly odd" to "fundy child abusing freak show" for me once I found out about the Quiverfull movement, which would have been about the time of the "On the Road" special), but I lurked at TWOP until I just got tired of giving TWOP Howard any attention at all; that ass doesn't even deserve lurkers. Much better here, and I can still get my Duggar news and gossip without giving them any ratings.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was looking for a blogger I liked very much, who had changed her blog status to private during the break-up of her marriage. The blog was Adventures In Mercy, and her name was Molly ( In Alaska), I think Free Jinger was about the third or fourth link on the page, I followed the link and started reading.......................I never found Molly, who I hope very much is well and getting on with life without her abusive husband, but I've learnt quite a lot from reading round this site, and I'm thankful for that.

I had been reading fundie blogs for a while (due to their participation in Menu Plan Monday at Organizing Junkie) and one of them mentioned something or other about the Duggars that I found to be fishy which led me to Google, which led me to TWOP, which led me to the Yuku FJ archives, which led me here! On a kind of related note, soon after I first found FJ I came across a business card with the ATI logo (!!!!!!) in one of my clients' homes that he had gotten "at some big conference" (!!!!!!) and I wanted to join to share with you all--but then I realized it was a pretty lame story. Also, I was worried I'd be told to go away because I didn't get the name on the card. :lol:

I'd been reading TWOP for a year (?) or so..at least back when the TLC builds the Duggars a house..and counting! episode came on. I followed the original FJers over and lurked for years, as I rarely have something funnier to say :)

It was mentioned over at No Longer Quivering. My interest with fundies began when I started dating my now husband that grew up fundie-lite.

*I should clarify...

I have always been interested in extreme beliefs, cults, etc. When I was first married, we toyed with the idea of not using bc (becuase the hormones make me crazy and we both hate condoms). So I stumbled on a few fundie sites that way, then found NLQ, and heard about FJ in the comments on one of the posts.

I have bi-polar and would really be one of those people that fall easily into cults because I like rules, order and I never had close female friends growing up. When I jump into something, I go full force. I'm so glad that I stumbled on this site because for a while the idea of sitting at home, making my own soap and dropping out a baby a year really appealled to me.

We are very much the opposite of fundie and I'm glad the closest I got was reading a book on the joys of not waiting in a marriage to have children.

I was googling something related to Geoff Botkin, I forget what. I'd been recovering from my own patriarchial relationship, so I was interested to find people who "got it."

I think I've been around, more or less, since the beginning, though I lurked for a long time. If I remember correctly, people on the TWoP boards were frustrated at the moderation and wanted to be able to discuss fundie subjects not necessarily directly related to the Duggars. I was on TWoP since probably 2005, before being banned in a blaze of glory a while back.

I've always been fascinated by extreme religion and lifestyles. My mother once told me her worst fear for me a teen was not doing drugs or getting pregnant but getting sucked into a cult (she reckoned without my cynicism)! Whenever I googled anything to do with the Duggars, FJ came up. I'd also been reading TWOP and Razing Ruth. I hung around for a bit before taking the plunge into my new spiritual home :D .

I always lurk for a while in a new community to get a feel for the place and see if it's a good fit for me. When I first lurked at FJ on Yuku I was really entertained by the posters here but didn't feel like I had much to add so I was content to just read and enjoy.

See, I always feel like I have to chime in, whether or not I have something of substance to add. :lol:

I used to post on Baby's Named a Bad, Bad Thing, and read about this fundamentalist family with a raft of J-named children. The conversations started including things like Vision Forum, and eventually Free Jinger popped up. I've been here ever since.

It wasn't the Duggars who brought me here, though I was certainly aware of the Fertile Ones. A poster on another board I frequent enjoyed watching the Emily/Dna trainwreck and linked us to it. I was absolutely captivated by Emily and her skinflint ways. From reading her blog, in horror, it was only a short jump to come here and see what you all had to say.

I was Googling the Duggars when I found the Yuku board. I had no idea that so many fundies existed until I found FJ. It turns out, the world is a scarier place than I once thought. :|

I used to post a lot on the Duggar's forum a few years ago but I got sick and tired of having to watch what I said before getting annoyed by some members *cough*ChrisLukas*cough*. I honestly do not remember on the top of my head on how I found this site but I'm pretty sure I was googling something on the Duggars and stumbled upon FJ. Once I noticed that I could be free to speak my mind without having a bunch of nut jobs jumping down my throat, I knew this place was the best for me.

Hello everyone! I've been lurking here for about 18 months and finally decided to join in on the fun. I found Free Jinger while looking for discussion about the Duggar family and I got hooked in when I saw you didn't only discuss the Duggars but also people that I know or at least have met. When I saw that I could get more accurate information here than I could by being friends with these people on Facebook, that was highly intriguing and I haven't looked back.

By way of introduction, I was raised in a large homeschooling family. I bought the whole SAHD thing and have spent time being a "sister mom". That is something I now highly discourage and hope I have a daughter or two (but not 10!) someday so I can see them grow up to respect themselves as individuals who bring many gifts to the world.

Welcome SisterMozz! Your story sounds like an interesting one!

I forgot another thing I was going to say. FJ has helped improve my behaviour.

I am roughly the equivalent of a fundie politically. So I have loads of things I do or won't do which are a bit like the Fundie Rules 4 Lyfe. I realised when I laugh at fundies I'm also a wee bit laughing at myself. And I was scared because I can do a direct translation from fundiespeak to Leninism in my head.

The strange rules that they have...well, I have a comrade who won't use elevators on a point of political principle, one who won't use capital letters on a point of political principle [he's a Maoist and they're all mental, long story] and to give you a flavour of mine I won't play Monopoly on principle (because I think encouraging capitalism in play form is insidious). Another comrade doesn't listen to music or watch films because it distracts one from the coming revolution.

So I won't give up the principle but I have learned from FJ not to be an absolute arse about it. That was something I struggled to get.

I think I've been around, more or less, since the beginning, though I lurked for a long time. If I remember correctly, people on the TWoP boards were frustrated at the moderation and wanted to be able to discuss fundie subjects not necessarily directly related to the Duggars. I was on TWoP since probably 2005, before being banned in a blaze of glory a while back.

Yeah. I think it was TWoP I first saw Lydia of Purple.

The domain name expired last week. Sad face. I always wonder what happened to the daughter that was 'always ready'.

Welcome SisterMozz! Your story sounds like an interesting one!

I forgot another thing I was going to say. FJ has helped improve my behaviour.

I am roughly the equivalent of a fundie politically. So I have loads of things I do or won't do which are a bit like the Fundie Rules 4 Lyfe. I realised when I laugh at fundies I'm also a wee bit laughing at myself. And I was scared because I can do a direct translation from fundiespeak to Leninism in my head.

The strange rules that they have...well, I have a comrade who won't use elevators on a point of political principle, one who won't use capital letters on a point of political principle [he's a Maoist and they're all mental, long story] and to give you a flavour of mine I won't play Monopoly on principle (because I think encouraging capitalism in play form is insidious). Another comrade doesn't listen to music or watch films because it distracts one from the coming revolution.

So I won't give up the principle but I have learned from FJ not to be an absolute arse about it. That was something I struggled to get.

JesusFightClub, I think it's great that you have such strong political principles - mine lean in the same general direction but have gradually been ground down by a much more centre-ground husband and two mental-energy sapping children! And I used to say I didn't want the kids to play Monopoly but hubby let them anyway and I convince myself it is OK because it helps them learn Maths! And it is quite amusing being utterly thrashed by a 7 year old - I don't even have to try to lose!

You're right though - nowhere like FJ to make you keep your feet on the ground.

I honestly can't remember. I think it was linked from another forum? I don't know.

I was reading long before the Carri threads on the old board, but when I think about 'finding' FJ they're the threads that pop into my mind because of how serious they were.

Delurking to say that I found FJ when I started getting a bunch of hits on my blog from a thread here. Burris linked to one of my posts probably a year or two ago. I try not to read too much because of all the gossip and slander, but I do agree with a few things you say (e.g. I'm anti-TTUAC).

I found FJ while doing an internet search to view the latest dirt on various Gothardites. As a former ATI student, I find the snark very theraputic!

Delurking to say that I found FJ when I started getting a bunch of hits on my blog from a thread here. Burris linked to one of my posts probably a year or two ago. I try not to read too much because of all the gossip and slander, but I do agree with a few things you say (e.g. I'm anti-TTUAC).

I'm going to sequence my questions so that its easier for you to respond:

Whats the name of your blog?

Why did Burris linky dink you?

Edited to add:

Are you Jennie Chancey?

Are you Kelly Crawford?

I'm really debating whether or not to link... the post was cast in a semi-positive light at the time but I'm sure anyone who pleased could still snark me, and I'm not hankering for the persecution badge... :) And no, I'm not Jennie or Kelly.

I've watched the Duggars since the first specials. I've always been really interested in religious fundamentalism and extremism. I read a bunch of books about the Amish as a kid. The Duggars were right up my alley, though for years I was kind-of a fan. I even read one of their books where they talked about blanket training and it went straight over my head (maybe they toned down what it really meant, though). I have known about Free Jinger for awhile, but I thought it was just a slogan. I may have stumbled on the TWOP thread or maybe even the yuku forum on a not-very-active day? Not sure.

Sometime after that I saw the term SAHD on a girl's blog and googled it, finding a Bitch magazine article explaining it and around that time was googling quiverfull and found NLQ. Finally, back when Michelle miscarried, I was secretly happy because I had thought she should stop. I felt bad about being happy and then someone on another message board I'm on started a topic about how Michelle Needs To Stop, and a poster there linked to FJ where all of you didn't think she should keep having more kids, either. I put off joining for about a month but then I had to give in.

Archived