IGNORED

So, how did you all find Free Jinger?

Daenerys

I found "Are they all yours" cause someone posted on Facebook about a religious nut who was encouraging the assassination of the president and, always having had an interest in religious lunatics, I googled his name. Once I discovered Zsuzsanna I was hooked and read through her archives.

Then I kept reading about "Free Jinger Hags" in the comments, and had to see who you all were.

I've been lurking here ever since, only registering this week.

The scale and influence of the Christian Patriarchy movement is scary and fascinating, and has even surpassed fundamentalist Mormonism as my main area of religious interest. I've been watching the old Duggar episodes and discovering other blogs, and I find it scary that these extremist ideas hide behind a wholesome, pretty PR image.

QFT

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I found this site looking for Candy's blog during one of the flounces. I was still a major fan of hers at the time, but questioning a few things.

I stuck around because I saw people talking about some of the same frustrations I have with the extreme patriarchy and QF crowd and with fundamentalism in general, and because it seems to me like most of the people on here really are pretty cool people that care about others. Also, I find that this board is valuable to me to help keep things in check (I'm still a fundie by most standards, but y'all help me keep some of the crazy in check) and also in realizing some of the things that I and others may do that really annoy non-fundies.

I watched the Duggars on TLC, thought they were odd and looked them up online. Then I pretty quickly found out about the QF movement and that led me to NLQ and to FJ from there.

That's why I get frustrated with the Duggars' many fans. If they like the Duggars so much, don't they have the curiosity to check them out and learn about these issues? Even in a cursory way? It's not like it took me much time or effort, only a few idle minutes. Now I have learned more since joining FJ but to educate yourself minimally doesn't take that much time.

I think I put "crazy fundies" on google and it brought me here. Where I was like "so there are other people hooked on this stuff!"

I'm not into the Duggars, the show isn't on where I live, more on SAHD-type blogs.

I lurked on the old Yuku board after I was told about FJ in a Duggar thread on another Yuku board. I kind of forgot about it once it moved from Yuku and then was reminded of its existence on TWOP. I figured I had lurked long enough so I joined.

I am a member of another online community (which has been mentioned here once on the yuku site). And on that forum, one member was horrified to find that his article on betrothal has been ripped to shreds on fj. He began accusing members on that forum of being somehow involved, and much drama ensued. I followed the links, and while I was *somewhat* still drinking watered-down koolaid at that point, I still laughed at the snark. And I returned to laugh at the snark. And now that I am battling my background, it helps to get an outside perspective on a lot of the ideas which with I grew up.

I have known about (and was repulsed by) the Duggars since their first special on Discovery Health, but more recently (the last couple of years I guess) I have been doing research on cults and coercive religious groups, which led me to various blogs like NLQ, Razing Ruth, and FJ. I've lurked for a long time, and finally decided to register. Not sure why. Possibly I am just so disgusted by Smuggar and this Jubilee Shalom fuckery?

I found fundies on Usenet, via looking for homeschooling tips (found some homeschooling things, then from there misc.education.homeschool.christian, where some truly out there fundie people were posting - courtship, Jonathan Lindvall, quiverfull, it was there).

The interest stayed with me.

MUUUUUCH later, I heard of the Duggars. I never watched their show, but saw some mention of them on the quiverfull boards (which I found via Salon) and I'd seen photoshops of "It's a vagina, not a clown car" on Fark. Ooh, they homeschool, they seem fundie.

So I got the idea to go reading about the Duggars, where I found TWOP. I wanted to know just how fundie they were. Read some monster threads, and was more interested in the general lifestyle/Gothard stuff that kept being shut down for being "off topic" than anything else, since I didn't really CARE about the actual show.

One on of those monster threads, someone else frustrated with the constant shut-down of "off topic" interesting stuff mentioned the old FJ on yuku, I went there, found other people talking about the Maxwells (wow, someone else is obsessed with them while not being actual fans? Wow!), and the rest is history.

I had been reading the Maxwell's blog and Corners for several years. I couldn't believe any family could be so extreme in their beliefs, not to mention so weird.

Anyway, after Christopher got engaged to Anna, i googled something like "Christopher Maxwell engagement", figuring I'd find some fundy blogs talking about it.

Instead I found a site called Free Jinger talking about it!

I was so happy to find a group that had the same strange hobby I did-reading fundy blogs-and felt the same way about fundies, patriarchy, quiverful. It was like coming home.

Pretty much exactly this. The Maxwells were my gateway fundies, can't remember how I stumbled across them tho.

I found TWOP first when looking up something after I'd watched the TLC show about the Duggars, but lurked and found the Yuku site for FJ, then when it was raptured, there was a link on there to this, and I decided to join. I had been reading about how the religious right had taken over the Republican party, and after my experience with my ex-husband, I started reading Mormon mommy blogs, and got into Christian fundies through the Duggars.

I don't remember. I think I was googling Josie's progress after she was born, and this was like the first site that came up.

Ironically, my friend was convinced that Jinger was going to escape, so one day we googled Jinger Duggar escape (as a bit of a joke) and we found FJ. I lurked for a while before actually joining.

Stuff Fundies Like. I ended up there on a random interwebz search, they mentioned Free Jinger, and I was very intrigued by similarities between my political grouping and fundies. I lurked on Yuku and when the board was raptured, decided to sign up.

Long story - all started with Nadia Suleman documentry on youtube, followed recommendations to Jon&Kate+8. Googled them to find out more leading to Gosselins without Pity. This lead to Duggars without Pity and had to go back to youtube to work out who Duggars actually were as they are basically unknown in Australia. From there, the whole fundy-evangelical world has opened out in front of me and I followed all the links google gave me; No Longer Quivering - Love Joy Feminism - here - and many others.

So I have a question about FJ.

On some boards you can click on somebody's name/avatar and see their posting history. Is that not the case here? Sometimes when people are being really antagonistic I wonder, for example: Is this person the resident troll? *cough*Digger*cough* Do you just have to stick around long enough to get a feel for personalities? I am not trying to cyberstalk anybody here, just curious.

I can't remember. It was either through TWOP or the Free Jinger Facebook group. I lurked for quite a long time before joining.

Guest Anonymous
So I have a question about FJ.

On some boards you can click on somebody's name/avatar and see their posting history. Is that not the case here? Sometimes when people are being really antagonistic I wonder, for example: Is this person the resident troll? *cough*Digger*cough* Do you just have to stick around long enough to get a feel for personalities? I am not trying to cyberstalk anybody here, just curious.

Go to profile --> search user's posts.

Go to profile --> search user's posts.

Well, I had gotten as far as the profiles, so I just had one more step to go. :oops: Thx!

I have no idea how and when I first came to FJ. It was on Yuku. I remember I read some blogs and in their comments they time to time mentioned FJ or Free Jinger and I sometimes checked the place. Autumn's blog years ago was one of those places.

I think I googled something later and found this place and started to read topics. It took a long time to post, though, because I am quite shy at first and still hesitate to write in English.

Guest Anonymous

I found FJ via NLQ and TWOP. The NLQ connection came around the time that Angel first started objecting to Vyckie writing her story publicly, and someone on the NLQ Forum mentioned that FJ were talking about them and slagging off Vyckie. At the same time, I had also become interested in the Jeub family, who featured in a TV programme with Vyckie, and I found the TWOP page where Alicia Jeub had posted about the 'end of the story' from her perspective. FJ was mentioned then too, and so I started lurking in the Yuku site around then.

I signed up as an FJ member around the time of the Christopher/Anna wedding. Absolutely hilarious and memorable day, having never heard of Steve Maxwell before - thank you again to whoever made a video of the live stream! :lol:

Someone posted yesterday that they can't help reading Jinger as if it rhymes with 'ringer'. Same here, can't get it out of my head even though I 'know' how it should be pronounced. :mrgreen:

Someone on another Yuku forum found the FJ forum after it had been raptured. I read a few threads there, then found the new FJ and joined after reading a few more. I was extremely pissed about Michelle Duggar having another kid (Jujube).

ETA: I already snarked, in my personal time, on TW and her stupid husband. I was a member of the wedding site for which she blogged and a lot of shit went down when she posted some critical posts of him that she tried to justify, then later removed. She wanted people to be supportive of the crazy but really, everyone then saw him for the douche he is.

For some reason I think The Bloggess posted a link to Emily somehow, although I could be wrong because it was ages ago. From there I found Gizomla's under1000braincells, which led me to NLQ, which brought me to Yuku and finally here. I'm not a very active poster but I read here multiple times a day.

I've always had issues with the Duggars. Once I saw the phrase "Free Jinger" and thought it was funny, but at the time, I didn't actively seek out a community. I don't know if it was on FB or if it was on another board.

On another board a bunch of us were snarking on Emily. I think that led me to Under 1000 Brain Cells, which led me to a discussion on this board (well the old Yuku board). I thought it was intelligent discussion, but I didn't bother checking out what board I was reading and considering joining it.

Then one day when I was in a rage about something I heard about the Duggars doing or saying, I googled the phrased Free Jinger. The board came up. I realized it was the same board that was discussing Emily. I decided I was really growing fearful of the power fundies have in the country and I decided to stay.

Archived