IGNORED

How many more years until one of the Duggar kids leaves?

homeschoolmomma1

I have been really wondering when one of the kids will finally get fed up of being on a bus and caring for their brothers and sisters. How much longer do you all think?

I think it depends on the kid - Jill, I think, would stay forever, but Jana, it seems to me, is having a hard time. Josh is a clone of his dad and so steeped in Gothard crap, he and Anna will be the next gen unless something drastic happens. I don't watch the show all that much as I can't stomach it, but I think in the next 10-15 years or so we will see a tell all book and some rebellion. That level of crazy and that many people, someone has to escape.

I actually think Jill will eventually want to be in a family that loves and wants her around and not just to be the maid of all work. I wouldn't be surprised if her and Jana leave but I think Jana will want to take John David with her. He seems to do what she says - I think if she asked him to leave with her he would.

Josh and Jessa seem the most super fundy.

I don't think that any of them will just leave on their own. Where would they go? They don't know that there are resources out there to help them. I doubt they will even run to Michelle's family because I am sure they have no idea how to get in contact with them. You can bet Jim Bob controls family addresses and telephone numbers. I doubt the kids even have access to their own social security numbers and birth certificates. When you are raised in a bubble of ignorance, the outside world is extremely scary. When you have no money, no education and limited knowledge of how the world works, striking out on your own is almost too much imagine. These kids have been raised to believe that the devil is around every corner to send them straight to hell. In many ways, staying seems easier than facing the "wrath" of God and losing your family.

We joke on this site about who will write the first tell-all book but, realistically, these kids don't even know anything about tell-all books. They have no frame of reference for anything other than the Gothard gobblygoop branded in their brains. They may have traveled to a lot of places but they have obviously taken nothing away from those experiences. I like the kids but they are woefully unprepared for the outside world. I don't think they would know how to find jobs or even fill out a job application. Just having to exist in the presence of people who look and think differently would probably be overwhelming.

The most likely scenerio is that when the kids marry, they might become less fundy over time. Maybe their world will open a little more when they are living in a house with cable like Josh and Anna. The best hope is that one of the married kids becomes less fundy, is self-sufficient without need of help from Jim Bob, and then may take in a sibling that just can't take it anymore.

I hope that none leave alone without having somewhere safe to go. My biggest worry is that one of the kids end up out in the world alone and they end up being taken advantage of because of their naivety. I can see the kids being scammed again and again because they haven't been giving the skills possessed by most 14 year-olds.

I think they are aware that many people don't live like they do. They have Amy as an ever present reminder of that. They have heard I'm sure about Anna's sisters and the various lives that they have. The question will be how willing are they to try to step out of the mold. I'm sure some of them will drift out if not actively run.

In terms of leaving out of sheer rebelliousness, my money's on Joy when she turns 18. But it's not looking like Michelle will be having any more, so Joy's teen life is set to include a lot less forced childcare & resulting resentment than the older girls.

I think/hope that Joy and Josiah will leave together, and that will pave the way for some of the younger kids.

Me too. They were bonded so deeply and wrenched apart when they became a man/woman in Gothard World. They've both been miserable ever since and it looks like Joy even went to indoctrination camp last summer, poor thing. Both of them are such square pegs that their parents are trying to shove into round holes of conformity; I feel sad for all of them, but I feel for these two the most.

I doubt it will be a huge spectacle that would be tabloid fodder. If anything, it is likely that one or more of the kids will leave the ATI/Gothard circle once they are married and subscribe to a different type of Christian faith that allows them more access to the outside world. They might even realize their sub standard education is not sufficient to teach their children and send them to public school or, at the very least, private Christian schools.

I doubt it will be a huge spectacle that would be tabloid fodder. If anything, it is likely that one or more of the kids will leave the ATI/Gothard circle once they are married and subscribe to a different type of Christian faith that allows them more access to the outside world. They might even realize their sub standard education is not sufficient to teach their children and send them to public school or, at the very least, private Christian schools.

I don't doubt that this might happen with some of the older ones, but there's no way they're going to get all 19 children to follow the courtship and marriage plan. Someone's going to make a break for it long before then. My best guess is that one or two of them will leave the movement entirely (my money's on Joy or Josiah - hopefully both) and then there will be a break that leaves the younger children free to reject the lifestyle. One can hope that Jim Bob and Michelle will mellow in their old age. They'll be in their 60s by the time Jennifer, Jordyn, and Josie are ready to be married off.

I think it depends on the kid - Jill, I think, would stay forever, but Jana, it seems to me, is having a hard time. Josh is a clone of his dad and so steeped in Gothard crap, he and Anna will be the next gen unless something drastic happens. I don't watch the show all that much as I can't stomach it, but I think in the next 10-15 years or so we will see a tell all book and some rebellion. That level of crazy and that many people, someone has to escape.

I don't know about Josh. He's got a big TV. He's very lazy. I think he will "do" whatever it takes to keep the $$$ flowing while doing as little work as possible. He's got the TLC gravey train now. When that drys up and Daddy stops shelling out money, he'll look for another "easy way". If someone offered his big bucks, I could easily see him flipping and doing a "tell all". I do NOT see his selling used cars, living in a small house, and chasing around 10+ kids in the future.

I'm with those who think that they won't leave with a bang but more or less drift out of the lifestyle. JizzBob and The Uterus cant keep track of the comings and goings of 19 children, and themeselves have relaxed on some fronts. The kids have been exposed to the world, and have access to people who aren't fundies. I too see Joy and Josiah leaving the movement completely, but I believe it would be a gradual process instead of them flipping the bird on the way out.

Josh has moved more into fundie lite territory, and since he likes his big boy toys, I can see him gradually drifting more that way as well.

The girls....I think with the exception of Jessa will drift towards fundie lite but after getting married. Generally, we see few children of hard core fundies that are as fundie or more fundie than their parents.

I think that the older girls will end up marrying fundy-lite, or fundy-extra-lite (I don't think that most fundy men would want to marry girls with so much "wordly experiance" - being on TV, travel, etc), so they will end up slipping out of it. I think that Josiah and Joy will make a run for it when Joy turns 18. Siah will have some sort of "business" of his own, so a little money will be coming in, hopefully he can support Joy while she figures out life.

I think Josh is now a tad fundie lite. I think Anna will continue to wear dresses and they will probably go around talking about courtship and trying to give dumb ass advice to couples. Someone on DWOP who lives near Josh said there is a satellite dish installed on the house. My guess is that he and Anna are watching tame stuff. The only shows I can picture them watching regularly are maybe crime procedural stuff like CSI, SVU type stuff. Some broadcast shows are bit racy at times and Josh and Anna wouldn't understand a lot of shows on TV because they haven't been in touch with pop culture that much. I don't see Anna and Josh paying extra to have Starz, HBO, or Showtime.

I think Josh and Anna will have remain in the fundie lifestyle, but I don't see them ever becoming mainstream Protestants. I don't see Jill leaving the lifestyle. She is a people pleaser and she is smug. I think the kids that will leave and become mainstream are some of the younger kids like either Josiah or Joy.

Archived