IGNORED

Miss Raquel reviews The Hunger Games

formergothardite

I wish Miss Raquel would watch and review The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. I wonder how she would say that she is like Liz Salander lol. Is she allowed to see R rated movies?

She's probably not allowed - I would love to see her review that, though! "Lisbeth Salander's a hacker, and, um, I do things on a computer too . . ."

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She's probably not allowed - I would love to see her review that, though! "Lisbeth Salander's a hacker, and, um, I do things on a computer too . . ."

lol It would be like that. My wishes for her to review R rated movies and try to relate to the characters will probably never happen, but imagining it is funny. I laughed at the image of her watching the Sex and the City movies. I don't think she is allowed to watch certain PG13 movies like Easy A, Mean Girls, etc. Easy A was originally supposed be a R rated movie but a lot of language was cut from the original script. I could Miss Raquel trying to say that she is like Olive which would be a fail.

She could do that thing that people do where they say which Sex and the City Girl they are like. "I'm totally a Charlotte!"

I dread to think how she would misinterpret the graphic rape scenes... would it be Lisbeth's fault for being a rebellious lesbian? Somehow I feel she'd get something even weirder out of it, though I don't know what...

argh don't! I did not know there was so much violence and sexual abuse, I was shocked watching the first movie. I'm never going to read those books! There's a reason I like fantasy books.... seems far away enough that I can take the violence.

I am so thankful that my hubby picked up the first book (I was only about 2 chapters in) one night when he couldn't sleep....by morning he had gotten far enough to forwarn me about it. I never picked it up again and I won't go see the movies. I'm still surprised at all of the people who reccomended it to me and never warned me (I always let people know about things in books and movies that might trigger, even if I don't know their past).

ETA: As for the Hunger Games, I don't think that Raquel and I saw the same movie...not sure what she watched, but I freaking hated Effie (loved Elizabeth Banks, spot on IMO!). Also, as much as I disliked "that guy who is schtooping Miley Cyrus" as Gail, Gail is not a player! WTF?

Another movie I just thought that I wish Miss Raquel would review is Colombiana lol. I don't see Miss Raquel watching R rated or more adult themed PG 13 movies in the next few years. I guess her friends must all be fundie lite and so she might not hear them talking about certain movies. I went to high school with a girl whose family was a bit on the fundie lite scale and she really felt left out when we talked about certain movies or TV shows.

Pixy dust, I've warned my friend about the rape scene in the movie but probably wouldn't even mention that it is in the book. For some reason, the same scene in the book wasn't so jarring to read.

I can't imagine Raquel(I refuse to call her MIss) approving of Lisbeth's hair and clothing. At the best, she might write that the character's outfit wasn't immodest.I don't see her identifying with anything about Lisbeth.

Pixy dust, I've warned my friend about the rape scene in the movie but probably wouldn't even mention that it is in the book. For some reason, the same scene in the book wasn't so jarring to read.

I can't imagine Raquel(I refuse to call her MIss) approving of Lisbeth's hair and clothing. At the best, she might write that the character's outfit wasn't immodest.I don't see her identifying with anything about Lisbeth.

Maybe it's just because of my past that stuff like that jumps out at me to warn other people, but people without my frame of mind don't even think about it.....

My hubby has delt with many books thrown across a room, panic attacks, tears, and me screaming at him to "turn that damn movie OFF" that he knows my triggers left and right.

I agree with you on Sutherland. One of my friends who saw the movie also didn't like him.

That spoiler made me actually lol. Otherwise I did like him in the role, I thought he was quite menacing and calculating. But I've only read the books once, and it was very quickly so I forget a lot of the details about him that might affect my opinion. In general though I wasn't meaning to start a discussion on him, I was just entertained by her review of the character. "I didn't like him."

That spoiler made me actually lol. Otherwise I did like him in the role, I thought he was quite menacing and calculating. But I've only read the books once, and it was very quickly so I forget a lot of the details about him that might affect my opinion. In general though I wasn't meaning to start a discussion on him, I was just entertained by her review of the character. "I didn't like him."

Yes, I agree, her description...just...um, you are NOT supposed to like him. He is a dictator. Derp.

Maybe it's just because of my past that stuff like that jumps out at me to warn other people, but people without my frame of mind don't even think about it.....

My hubby has delt with many books thrown across a room, panic attacks, tears, and me screaming at him to "turn that damn movie OFF" that he knows my triggers left and right.

I haven't experienced any of that personally, and still I felt very uncomfortable with the movie, and know I would not read the book in a million years.

You'd think someone would have mentioned it, but I never heard about it before I put the movie on.

Yay! Another review!

(Okay, that was not totally sarcastic, I find her reviews amusing because they are so bad.)

At least this thread reminded me that I wanted to go see the movie. Roommie and I are going tomorrow or next weekend.

She just loves Effie:

::sighs:: Aw, Effie. What can I say about her? She's bubbly, prompt, and has a new wig for every occasion. Fresh and fun and lively. Keeps everyone on their toes...and especially tries her best with Haymitch - who she really does not care for, in the least. ;)

I thought she was a shallow, self-centered person who didn't see that watching children fight to the death was a bad thing (at least in the first book). This character is the one that reminds me the most of Miss Raquel.

http://god-sdaughter.blogspot.com/

This.

There is Part 2 online. I was actually surprised that there was some text between the pictures....

AND there will be a Part 3. Yeay. Not.

I "loved" the part about Cinna. -.-

Since when is Lenny Kravitz a rapper? I would consider him rock or something, but rapper?

And froeheads touching is reserved for couples? Yeah, whatever...

*going to listen "American Woman"* :music-rockon::music-listening:

By the way, delurking after 14 months or so. :D Couldn't resist... I'm French and my English is sooooo bad, so please excuse my mistakes. :) Thanks!

I just read part 2. Miss Raquel doesn't know too much about some of the cast members. She talks about how she has never seen any of Jennifer Lawrence's previous movies. She probably wouldn't be allowed to watch Winter's Bone or The Poker House. She really seems out of touch on Woody Harrleson. I would love to see her review Natural Born Killers of The People vs. Larry Flynt. She only knows Stanley Tucci and Donald Sutherland from a couple of movies. The only cast member is that she is really familiar with Elizabeth Banks and that is because Banks has done several movies that Miss Raquel's parents approve of.

Her thinking that Lenny Kravitz is a rapper is just stupid. The guy has never rapped and he has acted before in another movie. But then again Miss Raquel wouldn't be allowed to watch Precious. Lenny's role in that movie wasn't big, but he was good in it.

There is Part 2 online. I was actually surprised that there was some text between the pictures....

AND there will be a Part 3. Yeay. Not.

I "loved" the part about Cinna. -.-

Since when is Lenny Kravitz a rapper? I would consider him rock or something, but rapper?

And froeheads touching is reserved for couples? Yeah, whatever...

*going to listen "American Woman"* :music-rockon::music-listening:

By the way, delurking after 14 months or so. :D Couldn't resist... I'm French and my English is sooooo bad, so please excuse my mistakes. :) Thanks!

Welcome to FJ.

FundiPastafari, I also thought it was hilarious that she said Lenny Kravitz was a rapper! I absolutely loved him as Cinna (and I always thought that there was something more than friends going on in the books...).

I also love how you can't be a Twilight fan and a Hunger Games fan (not that I am a Twilight fan, but still...)

Miss Raquel is so hardcore: I can handle most language, but when they start using God's Name loosely, it just really ticks me off:/

I just read part 2. Miss Raquel doesn't know too much about some of the cast members. She talks about how she has never seen any of Jennifer Lawrence's previous movies. She probably wouldn't be allowed to watch Winter's Bone or The Poker House. She really seems out of touch on Woody Harrleson. I would love to see her review Natural Born Killers of The People vs. Larry Flynt. She only knows Stanley Tucci and Donald Sutherland from a couple of movies. The only cast member is that she is really familiar with Elizabeth Banks and that is because Banks has done several movies that Miss Raquel's parents approve of.

Her thinking that Lenny Kravitz is a rapper is just stupid. The guy has never rapped and he has acted before in another movie. But then again Miss Raquel wouldn't be allowed to watch Precious. Lenny's role in that movie wasn't big, but he was good in it.

Ughhhh. I just realized the futility of someone who hasn't watched many serious movies reviewing serious movies. This is like the time Anthony Lane reviewed "The Grinch Who Stole Christmas", but in reverse.

(Some people only read the New Yorker for cartoons, I make it through the movie reviews AND Shouts and Murmurs. I'm so intellectual.)

The only thing I liked about the review was her disapproval of the others in the theater cheering for Twilight. While I was waiting in line for the midnight premiere there was a group of girls behind me that would not shut up for the entire time we were waiting in line. All they could talk about was how good looking Gail and Peeta were and which one was better looking than the other and why they thought so. They also said they couldn't wait to see it because it "would be just like Twilight!" and how they would love it if two guys were fighting over them. I had to restrain myself from turning around and telling them my opinion of Twilight. It boggles my mind how one could think those two movies were the same. If Bella was picked during the Reaping she would have just curled into the fetal position as soon as the Games began.

So after reading her second review, wow. I don't believe I have ever seen a person miss so many points so consistently. It's like she skipped the plot and honed in on the words "dress" and "kiss" and "blond hair". I just... My 10 year old has better reading comprehension skills.

With any book series turned into movies, there are always going to be some annoying fans at theaters. I also agreed with Miss Raquel on that. The Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy is starting to get popular and the movie rights have been sold. Miss Raquel would never be apart of that fanbase lol.

FundiPastafari, I also thought it was hilarious that she said Lenny Kravitz was a rapper! I absolutely loved him as Cinna (and I always thought that there was something more than friends going on in the books...).

I also love how you can't be a Twilight fan and a Hunger Games fan (not that I am a Twilight fan, but still...)

Miss Raquel is so hardcore: I can handle most language, but when they start using God's Name loosely, it just really ticks me off:/

Miss Raquel is probably bullshiting a bit on language. I doubt that she has ever watched an R rated movie with tons of cuss words.

It is very fitting that Effie is one of her favorite characters. She is just as shallow as Miss Raquel.

With any book series turned into movies, there are always going to be some annoying fans at theaters. I also agreed with Miss Raquel on that. The Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy is starting to get popular and the movie rights have been sold. Miss Raquel would never be apart of that fanbase lol.

I'm thinking about getting a Kindle. If I do that will be the first book I buy for it. Maybe someone can suggest that she read the book so she can review it :lol:

I'm thinking about getting a Kindle. If I do that will be the first book I buy for it. Maybe someone can suggest that she read the book so she can review it :lol:

We should make a list of books for her to review lol. I bet her parents also pre approve what books she reads. Her knowledge of pop culture is somewhat limited. She reminds me a lot of a Mormon blogger I've been following. The Mormon blogger does similar reviews to Miss Raquel but her reviews are a tad better.

Archived