IGNORED

The "I'm feeling hormonal today" excuse

Swamptribe

Guest Anonymous

How am I making a "mockery" of anything?

Here's an example - in the ZsuZsu thread you said:

God she's so bipolar.

No. She's hateful. Bringing up bipolar disorder has nothing to do with ZsuZsu's hateful actions, and everything to do with stigmatizing mental illness.

I posted something but it disappeared. Anyways, as someone who was hospitalized for a suicide attempt, I am pretty sure I have some idea of the consequences of mental health issues. That being said, I firmly believe every individual is responsible for everything they do or say, and have individual responsibilties to get treatment. Mental illness is not an excuse to be rude, violent or inappropriate.

Then it's certainly not an excuse to be ableist either, so it would be great if you would take responsibility for that and stop doing it.

*ETA: Was crossposting with BelieveinScience.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bipolar: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bipolar. I did not say she had bipolar disorder. And "hateful" does not convey the same thing as "bipolar." I meant she fluctuates from one extreme to another.

And yeah, if this is a board where I can't use the term "crazy" and "wacko" to describe the actions of people with mental illnesses then clearly I do not need to be posting on this board w.r.t. this topic (btw I am an MD student who just finished my psych rotation and I have heard several counselors/psychiatrists use such words to describe their patients. It's not because they have no respect for them. It's because it's a light-hearted way to deal with severely disabling conditions.)

Bipolar: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/bipolar. I did not say she had bipolar disorder. And "hateful" does not convey the same thing as "bipolar." I meant she fluctuates from one extreme to another.

And yeah, if this is a board where I can't use the term "crazy" and "wacko" to describe the actions of people with mental illnesses then clearly I do not need to be posting on this board w.r.t. this topic (btw I am an MD student who just finished my psych rotation and I have heard several counselors/psychiatrists use such words to describe their patients. It's not because they have no respect for them. It's because it's a light-hearted way to deal with severely disabling conditions.)

If I found out a doctor was calling me things like "wacko" behind my back I wouldn't go back to that doctor. That's just not professional.

And I don't really care if you are an MD student doesn't give you a reason to give unsolicited medical advice (such as the bipolar reference to Zsusanna).

Again, people are putting words into a post that the original author never intended. Seems some are also mixing up posts from various threads and creating what you want out of them. Dear lord, think what we'd all look like if we started cutting and pasting the juicy bits from each others post in various threads and constructing what we wanted out of them.

This is an emotional subject, nobody is picking on anyone in particular here, just noticing a trend. Also, do not be so quick to judge others and their experiences with mental and physical disorders. You have no freakin idea what someone has had to deal with in their life. Not everyone here posts ever single detail of their private lives. Don't assume, just because they aren't setting what you consider the right tone that they have no experience in these areas. That person may have more experience in the area than you do.

Step back and think before posting something. Really read what was written, in context.

Guest Anonymous

Saying "God she is so bipolar" and then "I did not say she had bipolar disorder" is some cowardly backpeddling.

You can say whatever you want provided it doesn't violate the TOU, but if people think it's fucked up then they're probably going to let you know about it. And frankly if you are an MD student who just finished their psych rotation, I feel sorry for your future patients and sincerely hope I'm never one of them.

If I found out a doctor was calling me things like "wacko" behind my back I wouldn't go back to that doctor. That's just not professional.

And I don't really care if you are an MD student doesn't give you a reason to give unsolicited medical advice (such as the bipolar reference to Zsusanna).

Where did I actually diagnose her with bipolar disorder? I used "bipolar" to mean fluctuating from one extreme to another. Did you read my link?

Guest Anonymous
Again, people are putting words into a post that the original author never intended. Seems some are also mixing up posts from various threads and creating what you want out of them. Dear lord, think what we'd all look like if we started cutting and pasting the juicy bits from each others post in various threads and constructing what we wanted out of them.

This is an emotional subject, nobody is picking on anyone in particular here, just noticing a trend. Also, do not be so quick to judge others and their experiences with mental and physical disorders. You have no freakin idea what someone has had to deal with in their life. Not everyone here posts ever single detail of their private lives. Don't assume, just because they aren't setting what you consider the right tone that they have no experience in these areas. That person may have more experience in the area than you do.

Step back and think before posting something. Really read what was written, in context.

Well there's the issue. If I think someone is doing something problematic, I address it when and where it happens, with the person who is engaging in the behavior. You seem to think it's better to make a vague, passive aggressive post and handslap everyone in general.

Also, threads go off topic here. You don't get to dictate the direction a thread goes once it's posted.

I'm done here. I feel like you all are being really hypersensitive about this. Clearly there is nothing I can say that will make you understand that:

1. I do have quite a bit of background and formal training in the pathopysiology and pharmacotherapy for disorders outlined in the DSM-IV

2. I do have sympathy for those with mental disorders

3. While still firmly believing that people are for the most part responsible for their actions and statements

Well there's the issue. If I think someone is doing something problematic, I address it when and where it happens, with the person who is engaging in the behavior. You seem to think it's better to make a vague, passive aggressive post and handslap everyone in general.

Also, threads go off topic here. You don't get to dictate the direction a thread goes once it's posted.

Wow, so now you're diagnosing me as passive aggressive? Kinda hypocritical of you.

Wow, so now you're diagnosing me as passive aggressive? Kinda hypocritical of you.

She didn't say you were passive aggressive, she was saying your post was passive aggressive-which it was.

ETA: I'm assuming Lissar is a female.

Guest Anonymous

Nope, what I did was flat out aggressive disagreement. Nothing passive about it.

*ETA: Oh, I see what you were going for better now, I think. You're calling me hypocritical for "diagnosing" you as passive aggressive. Here's the difference - being bipolar is a mental disorder. Being passive aggressive is an asshole disorder.

Oh hai! I are a bipolar ;)

The posts didn't bother me, because I rely on other people to tell me how I am acting. I rapid cycle so I need folk to tell me "JFC, you are out of place" and I appreciate that they do so.

However the thought of doctors laughing behind my back...they may well do, they are human, but I did not want to know :(

Oh hai! I are a bipolar ;)

The posts didn't bother me, because I rely on other people to tell me how I am acting. I rapid cycle so I need folk to tell me "JFC, you are out of place" and I appreciate that they do so.

However the thought of doctors laughing behind my back...they may well do, they are human, but I did not want to know :(

I thought I was just being hypersensitive to it but when I saw others pointing out that it was wrong then I didn't feel so bad.

The doctors things REALLY bothers me. I go to a doctor and expect them to act professional and finding out that doctors make fun of their patients about their medical disorders is just unsettling.

So, it's OK if she uses psychological colloquialisms to describe others, but it's not OK for anybody else (like rhianna)

Go figure.

another bipolar raises hand....I don't mind calling myself the crazee, but I'd be pissed if I heard a doctor doing it in a professional setting. However, how many times on here are we calling people people batshit and whacko etc....not meant as a diagnosis but a general description for some of the behaviour and beliefs we witness?

ETA - when you see someone go all "whacko" on a message board, or IRL, the appropriate response is not "hey, get that under control", but "hey, are you okay, are you on something, you seem off" - when peoples' meds don't work, they can't get them, or they're on new/wrong stuff, they often don't know that they're acting weird. I rely on those around me to tell me I'm going strange.

I take offense to this question. I have PCOS and I am hormonal somedays and not afraid to admit it. Ironically, you claim that we are setting women back by using the "hormonal" phrase, yet it is you that is setting women back by denying a normal female nature and characteristic.

Contrary to liberal feminists, I don't think women should try and be men. I think we should accept that all of us, men and women, are sometimes having behavior based on hormones fluctuation (testosterone does fluctuate during the day for men too!) I think there should be a stop to pretend that we ought to be "rational" 100% of the time like the male "ideal" dictates. We are all subjected to desires, needs, hormones that are out of the grasp of our minds.

Contrary to liberal feminists, I don't think women should try and be men.

:x Oh ffs. I am NOT hormonal today but reading this mad me stabby,

:x Oh ffs. I am NOT hormonal today but reading this mad me stabby,

well that is a general assesment of the litterature on liberal feminists. I am not talking about theorists here.

well that is a general assesment of the litterature on liberal feminists. I am not talking about theorists here.

It's actually complete bullshit. But thanks for playing.

It's actually complete bullshit. But thanks for playing.

it's not BS. It can be traced back to Simone de Beauvoir's writings. If you want articles that discuss that, I'll send them. But I doubt you want to discuss any theories or see the point I was making. Taking men's values (constructed values and behaviors) as standards is misguided but defended by some feminists. Because feminism should only be used in the plural, different feminists, different opinions.

Contrary to liberal feminists, I don't think women should try and be men. I think we should accept that all of us, men and women, are sometimes having behavior based on hormones fluctuation (testosterone does fluctuate during the day for men too!) I think there should be a stop to pretend that we ought to be "rational" 100% of the time like the male "ideal" dictates. We are all subjected to desires, needs, hormones that are out of the grasp of our minds.

When did liberal feminists ever say we should be men?

ETA: I guess I should read the whole thread - Flora already called this BS out. I'd suggest a feminism 101 course for you, Sophie. Your beliefs about liberal feminists (whatever that is) is completely erroneous.

When did liberal feminists ever say we should be men?

ETA: I guess I should read the whole thread - Flora already called this BS out. I'd suggest a feminism 101 course for you, Sophie. Your beliefs about liberal feminists (whatever that is) is completely erroneous.

Riiiiiiiight... taking a 101 class ahahha sorry, but yeah that just makes me laugh.

dude, really read a little scientific articles. It's not about having a sex change, it's about embodying the values of men, about accepting them as the goal to achieve, about having equality in numbers, reaching occupation that are male dominated, without questionning if a behavior of competition is a valuable goal or not.

I think we just are not talking about the same liberal feminists.

Riiiiiiiight... taking a 101 class ahahha sorry, but yeah that just makes me laugh.

dude, really read a little scientific articles. It's not about having a sex change, it's about embodying the values of men, about accepting them as the goal to achieve, about having equality in numbers, reaching occupation that are male dominated, without questionning if a behavior of competition is a valuable goal or not.

First of all, I'm not a dude so don't call me that. I have read many, many "scientific" articles that say these things, and they're all junk science based on a patriarchal premise. Unless a "study" is conducted with absolutely no gender bias, it's a crock. And since when is having goals and achieving them, as well as working in a "male" occupation mean that a woman wants to be a man? At least I think that's what you're saying, because your post really did not make a lot of sense.

Even if you are using liberal in the sense of classical (European) liberalism, you are still talking shite.Taking all the complexities and double-binds faced by women entering male-dominated professions, and reducing that to "they want to be men" is just pure unaldultated BS.

Archived