Yes, Protestant evangelical fundie polygyny exists! And without a limit of four!

Exhibit 1: christianpolygamy.com

Note the bullet points of bowing women, and tabs such as "How you can stop sinning" and ironically "sins of the cults".

Choice quotes: "man who tells the world that he wants more wives will nearly always experience great persecution... from his wife!"

"It is simply that God did not create a super race of women and there are some men for whom one woman simply is not enough."

"Do you take your role as master of your wife seriously? Do you rule over your wife as the Lord commands while not provoking wrath?"

"Polygamists, for obvious reasons, don't parade their wives around town as the monogamists do. We value who our women are and have a healthy desire for them."

This chap isn't the only one out there either:

christianpoly.org

christian-polygamy.com

They're certainly on the fringes, but they do use the same language of patriarchy and multi-generational faithfulness.

Do you mean to title your post 'polygamy'? One of the sites you linked to appears to be down, but on the other I find no mention of polygyny.

Do you mean to title your post 'polygamy'? One of the sites you linked to appears to be down, but on the other I find no mention of polygyny.

If it's one man taking multiple wives, the proper term is "polygyny." Though, polygamy tends to be the more popular term.

If it's one man taking multiple wives, the proper term is "polygyny." Though, polygamy tends to be the more popular term.

Oh, I thought that was the term for a woman with multiple husbands. What's the term I'm thinking of? ETA - I looked it up. I'm thinking of polyandry. My bad.

Oh, I thought that was the term for a woman with multiple husbands. What's the term I'm thinking of?

Polyandry.

I think that polyandry would make a lot of sense for women who want to remain at home until their children enter highschool. The stay at home mom could have mulitple partners bringing in money. Even if she has only one or two children for each person, she can have a larger family and still help decrease the world's population.(A partnership made up of three individuals would have three kids. )

I think that polyandry would make a lot of sense for women who want to remain at home until their children enter highschool. The stay at home mom could have mulitple partners bringing in money. Even if she has only one or two children for each person, she can have a larger family and still help decrease the world's population.(A partnership made up of three individuals would have three kids. )

:clap: :clap: :clap: :pray:

I can't imagine this. Mr Browngrl and I just spent ages debating on the type/colour of tile we wanted for our master bath. The thought of having to negotiate/balance the choices of a third person makes me tired just thinking about it.

I can't imagine this. Mr Browngrl and I just spent ages debating on the type/colour of tile we wanted for our master bath. The thought of having to negotiate/balance the choices of a third person makes me tired just thinking about it.

Seriously, browngirl. We're still using the queen size quilt on our California king mattress ( purchased 6 months ago) because we can't agree. Looks like I'm going to end up making a duvet cover (I just finished a queen size one - what a pain!)

[/threadjack]

I think that plural marriage in many cases involves one person (the one with the multiple spouses) making all the decisions. So two wives/husbands or twenty, doesn't matter for decision-making.

I think that plural marriage in many cases involves one person (the one with the multiple spouses) making all the decisions. So two wives/husbands or twenty, doesn't matter for decision-making.

Except I think in fraternal polyandry, the eldest brother still makes the decisions.

Yes, Protestant evangelical fundie polygyny exists! And without a limit of four!

Exhibit 1: christianpolygamy.com

Note the bullet points of bowing women, and tabs such as "How you can stop sinning" and ironically "sins of the cults".

Choice quotes: "man who tells the world that he wants more wives will nearly always experience great persecution... from his wife!"

"It is simply that God did not create a super race of women and there are some men for whom one woman simply is not enough."

"Do you take your role as master of your wife seriously? Do you rule over your wife as the Lord commands while not provoking wrath?"

"Polygamists, for obvious reasons, don't parade their wives around town as the monogamists do. We value who our women are and have a healthy desire for them."

This chap isn't the only one out there either:

christianpoly.org

christian-polygamy.com

They're certainly on the fringes, but they do use the same language of patriarchy and multi-generational faithfulness.

Yeah, this guy's a real charmer. I especially like his argument that men are satisfying their god given desires by taking another wife or having a concubine, but women would be committing adultery if they have a relationship with a man besides her husband. :roll:

I was so into the train wreck of Christian polygyny back in the early days of the www.

I remember when this site was much more public, with photos and dozens of pages of personals. I recall distinctly one Texas family of three wives searching for a fourth for their pony-tail wearing husband. They claimed not to be "out" in their community as polygamists. I also recall very attractive blonde identical twins, both divorced, who shamefacedly admitted that they had failed in choosing their own husbands and were now allowing "daddy" to choose one for both of them:

2Wives.com/

Then there's TruthBearer. There used to be a lot more here for free but looks like you have to be a member at most of these sites now-a-day.

truthbearer.org/

I think this one is actually part of TruthBearer

lovenotforce.com/

There used to be several sites that were blogs or day-by-day accounts of living polygamously. One shut down when the first, legitimately married wife opted for divorce. The other simply disappeared, although it was the most detailed and descriptive. I remember a cutesy photo of the man, (naked from the back,) being chased by his three frumper-wearing wives. ooooo la la!

Except I think in fraternal polyandry, the eldest brother still makes the decisions.

Are there any cultures that practice polyandry in which the women are free to make their own decisions and choose more than one husband? Or has it always been done to maintain family land and compensate for a shortage of women? I get the idea that in most cases, a woman in a plural marriage doesn't have a lot of power, whether she's one of several wives or one wife who has to serve several husbands.

Are there any cultures that practice polyandry in which the women are free to make their own decisions and choose more than one husband? Or has it always been done to maintain family land and compensate for a shortage of women? I get the idea that in most cases, a woman in a plural marriage doesn't have a lot of power, whether she's one of several wives or one wife who has to serve several husbands.

There are a few somewhat matriarchal societies, but they tend to be monogamous. I am not familiar with every case though.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :pray:

I keep telling my husband "WE NEED A SISTER WIFE AROUND HERE" and he raises one eyebrow and goes "sweet heart, with all due respects ONE OF YOU IS ENOUGH"

Here's one case of polyandry with female-led households and families: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mosuo_women

I keep telling my husband "WE NEED A SISTER WIFE AROUND HERE" and he raises one eyebrow and goes "sweet heart, with all due respects ONE OF YOU IS ENOUGH"

:laughing-rolling: Your husband is smart.

In someways, I would not mind having a sister wife. I am not a homemake so having someone who has that skill set would be great.

Archived