IGNORED

Women with multiple partners are unpaid prostitutes

Maul the Koala

There has been a ruling in Ontario that a ban on brothels put prostitutes at risk and is unconstitutional. You can read more about it here:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/201 ... onday.html

The news page I follow on Facebook has not disappointed in the sexist and misogynistic comments either! You'll have to scroll to the second story to see the comments.

https://www.facebook.com/GlobalEdmonton

My favourite?

"Whitney Owens: All I have to say is what the heck is the difference between a woman who has sex with 10 partners and not getting paid for it. Then a woman who gets paid for having sex with 10 partners. To me it's the same. There is no difference. Why give the milk out for free?"

Yes, because slut shaming is AWESOME. Wanting to kick this woman's ass in 3...2...1...

Women are whores if they have multiple sex partners. However, if a woman have only one sex partner who pays her money as part of the deal, she's a virtuous wife?

Isn't it interesting that fundies think a woman should be completely financially at the mercy of her husband, and should provide sex as he expects (in exchange for the privilege of his support), and that makes her a Godly woman? However, if this same woman decides to make a business deal out of it and has sex and keeps the money on HER terms, she's a horrible, sinful seductress?

It sounds to me like it's not money or sex that bothers these men, it's the independence. I guess that's why so many fundies are against working women. Women who can provide for themselves won't be obliged to put up with ass hole husbands anymore.

Women are whores if they have multiple sex partners. However, if a woman have only one sex partner who pays her money as part of the deal, she's a virtuous wife?

Isn't it interesting that fundies think a woman should be completely financially at the mercy of her husband, and should provide sex as he expects (in exchange for the privilege of his support), and that makes her a Godly woman? However, if this same woman decides to make a business deal out of it and has sex and keeps the money on HER terms, she's a horrible, sinful seductress?

It sounds to me like it's not money or sex that bothers these men, it's the independence. I guess that's why so many fundies are against working women. Women who can provide for themselves won't be obliged to put up with ass hole husbands anymore.

The fundie view on marriage and female sexuality turns wife into prostitues. They provide sex for the male's protection and care. Perhaps money isn't exchanged but there is the expectation that the woman gets something for having sex.

A woman who has sex for her own pleasure or because she loves her partner, isn't a prostitute. If she doesn't feel like sex, her spouse or partner won't feel that they are entitled to her body.

The fundie view on marriage and female sexuality turns wife into prostitues. They provide sex for the male's protection and care. Perhaps money isn't exchanged but there is the expectation that the woman gets something for having sex.

A woman who has sex for her own pleasure or because she loves her partner, isn't a prostitute. If she doesn't feel like sex, her spouse or partner won't feel that they are entitled to her body.

Now, now, they are not prostitutes. They are helpmeets.

Seriously though, some people and for whatever reason it's mostly women who say this, are ready to slut-shame anyone. Things people say sometimes are downright rude and they don't think at all. I was once called a slut too because my shirt was just a little low cut. I've been asked rude and inappropriate things walking to class, on an elevator, going to my car in a parking lot and it was all by women. It's best to ignore jerks like this who spend way too much thinking about what other people do in their lives that are legal and don't affect them. She obviously has some issues in her life or lacks any real critical thinking skills or both.

+1 x Infinity for those of you who have said that it's more like prostitution when a woman has sex with one man on whom she is totally financially dependent and has sex with him according to his needs.

Independence and self-determination is so slutty!

My husband has a friend [use this term loosely they used to be close before he turned into the jerk he is now] who won't 'allow' his wife to not work. Even while pregnant. She had to work up until she had her babies. Then go back to work. He thinks SAHMs are the most useless things in society because they sponge off and won't work when daycare and a maid could do the same thing. Funny considering his wife does all the cooking and cleaning so obviously it's not just something a maid will do.

He HATES me. I don't like him either but it's because he's an ass.

He's compared house wives and SAHMs to getting paid for sex.

What it comes down to is women are not allowed to have sex for the same reasons as men in our world. If you admit to enjoying sex you are a slut. If you don't want to have sex you're a prude. If wife\girlfriend etc admits she had sex when she didn't want to [in the cases of headship & helpmeet] she must be using sex for her advantage...basically women can never win.

I have this mildly fictionalized account of an anthropologist's time among people in Peru, living their traditional life. They were shocked, apparently, when she told them she had a boyfriend and he didn't give her anything after they had sex. They couldn't understand why she had so little self-respect that she just gave it away! Sex is nice, they said, but it's more fun when you get something.

Ever since I read that book in high school, I've had a hard time taking arguments against prostitution seriously. With that said, people who aren't getting paid for sex aren't prostitutes. Find another slut-shaming word to describe them or, better yet, mind your own business! Who do these people think they are to stick their noses into other people's lives like that?

I don't know that person personally, but I think the limit between prostitution and not prostitution is more thin than one would think. I know several girls who stayed with their bf at the time for financial reasons. No feelings on their part (feelings still on the bf's part) just flat out telling me they could not afford living on their own. What is the difference? That this is just one guy, and he has feelings? mmm.

I think that prostitution should be decriminalized, and every one should have the opportunity to choose their work. An important part of prostitution is by desperate women who'd rather have a regular job, and they deserve to be protected. But it should not be at the cost of those who choose this work (some women can earn a shitload of money). More to the point, legislation that has been enacted has put women more at risks: clients try to hide so they are not caught when they are subjects of legislation. It is a complicated matter, but I tend to think that criminalization is not the answer.

I don't know that person personally, but I think the limit between prostitution and not prostitution is more thin than one would think. I know several girls who stayed with their bf at the time for financial reasons. No feelings on their part (feelings still on the bf's part) just flat out telling me they could not afford living on their own. What is the difference? That this is just one guy, and he has feelings? mmm.

I think that prostitution should be decriminalized, and every one should have the opportunity to choose their work. An important part of prostitution is by desperate women who'd rather have a regular job, and they deserve to be protected. But it should not be at the cost of those who choose this work (some women can earn a shitload of money). More to the point, legislation that has been enacted has put women more at risks: clients try to hide so they are not caught when they are subjects of legislation. It is a complicated matter, but I tend to think that criminalization is not the answer.

Same. The Ontario ruling was disappointing, not because it wasn't a great step forward, but because the first judge to rule on the issue ruled all three laws in question (communication for the purpose of prostitution, living off the avails of prostitution and running a bawdy house) unconstitutional. The government just had to appeal, and this new ruling is probably what's going to be made law. The court upheld the communication law, even though it is responsible for most sex worker arrests and makes street-based sex work very unsafe, because they basically think it's more important to not have "public nuisances" than to keep their citizens safe. They struck down the bawdy house law, which is good and will not, as Canada.com naively said, result in brothels popping up all over Ontario. The numbers of brothels will increase, but I can almost guarantee they will remain as invisible as ever, given the stigma against sex workers and their clients. They narrowed the definition of living off the avails to having a manager aka a "pimp". Sex workers can now ensure their safety by hiring a driver and/or bodyguard, and they can now by every interpretation of the law have roommates, dependants, partners, landlords, etc.

I never understood the 'milk for free' bit. Because, that's pretty much implying that those who 'sell their milk' are nothing but prostitutes.

I never understood the 'milk for free' bit. Because, that's pretty much implying that those who 'sell their milk' are nothing but prostitutes.

What implying? It's saying it outright!

Buying the whole cow: Marriage

Getting the milk for free: Sleeping around

Buying milk: Buying sex

People who sell milk: People who sell sex, aka prostitutes.

Maybe people who have multiple partners are just... sexual philanthropists.

Damn right. And the more partners you have, the greater your philanthropy. :D

Perhaps I should have been more generous with what I had to offer when it was still worth offering :D

When I stand at the Pearly Gates and I am asked 'How much did you love your fellow men?' I shall hang my head in shame, and admit that I have sinned . . . by lacking philanthropy. Meanwhile, anyone who has been more generous will sit higher in the ranks of the celestial powers!

When I stand at the Pearly Gates and I am asked 'How much did you love your fellow men?' I shall hang my head in shame, and admit that I have sinned . . .

:lol:

I love this board. It's so refreshing to see people challenging the slut shaming. Sigh. If only I could enjoy sex without excruciating pain. I'm apparently good to this crowd. :(

UGGHHHHHH!!! REALLY??!!

Why is it that a woman with multiple patrners is a prostitute, yet a man with just as many is not to blame. Stupid double standard!! I used to have a client who was homeless, she had sex for protection. The homeless man she was screwing took care of her and they shared everything . . . would they consider that to be different than what THEY are doing? I mean, I find the two to be very comparable. In most fundie marriages and the one I described, the women do not know the men very long. They do it out of convenience and/or duty. At least I get to have a choice in the matter.

My mother "jokingly" called me a slut over the weekend, so I am very sensitive to this word right now. Yes, it is true, I have had multiple sex partners and at times, I had 2 overlapping fuck buddies and I LOVED IT. I am a 24 year old, college educated, and self-sufficient woman who enjoys orgasm sans the "blessing". If that makes me a slut from their skewed point of view, then whatever, it certainly will not stop me. What does anger me, is women who attack other women's choices, WTF!! Even if you do not agree with a choice, why would you want to prevent your own gender and YOURSELF from having them!!

Stepping away from the keyboard and pouring another drink. Yay.

I love this board. It's so refreshing to see people challenging the slut shaming. Sigh. If only I could enjoy sex without excruciating pain. I'm apparently good to this crowd. :(

OMG, me too. I'm currently being treated for vulvodynia. If you ever need a sister to chat with, feel free to PM me

Archived