IGNORED

Michelle Explains Caleb’s name

duchess0592

I don't know how true the whole "Caleb" story is, but I do know that if I was pregnant, being the name nerd I am I'd be thinking names pretty heavily as soon as I saw those two lines (or whatever confirmation). I also know that if I miscarried that child or had a stillbirth, I could never reuse that name. I would feel as though I was replacing a child who, until the moment of miscarriage, had felt very real to me. I wouldn't be surprised if Jchelle felt that way too.

Of course, I also wouldn't be surprised if she made that whole story up.

That's kind of how I feel. I wonder if while she was pregnant they were talking about possible names and Caleb was one they really liked. But after miscarrying and becoming pregnant again her taste had changed and they decided they liked John better. Not so much that they named the miscarriage Caleb but they had the name in mind and with all the Jubilee stuff they pulled it out to show that they cared about that one too. Early on in my pregnancy if it had been a boy we were going to name him Stephen but right before we found out that it's a girl (assuming the ultrasound is accurate) we started talking about other names because I decided that while I like the name Stephen I'm not sure I absolutely love the name.

Yeah, but that doesn't explain the male name.

They don't know enough about Jewish culture to realize it's a male name. The pretend to care about Christianity's Jewish heritage, but they don't actually know anything about Judaism.

They don't know enough about Jewish culture to realize it's a male name. The pretend to care about Christianity's Jewish heritage, but they don't actually know anything about Judaism.

I suppose that's correct. But if I were going to give a child a name that came from another culture or religion, I'd make sure that i found a name of the appropriate sex.

I suppose that's correct. But if I were going to give a child a name that came from another culture or religion, I'd make sure that i found a name of the appropriate sex.

Does it really matter? *is a chick with a dude's name*

I found that odd, as well as McKeynsie (I have no clue how to spell it their way). They gave Jubilee a masculine middle name, and Mack got a masculine first time. I have no issues with giving girls male names (I have a friend named Keith...who just happens to be a girl). I just think it's weird that the Duggars would do it.

I guess...Not trying to ruffle anyone's feathers. :)

I get a little defensive about it because I was bullied relentlessly over it. I blame my parents. Why couldn't they name me something like Mary or Jane?!

I get a little defensive about it because I was bullied relentlessly over it. I blame my parents. Why couldn't they name me something like Mary or Jane?!

If your name really is "Billie", then I'd have to say I like it. There are lots of names (Billie, Jo, Mickey, Jerry, et cetera) that I think work well for women.

It's really more an issue of the Duggars being so into traditional gender roles that their choice of the name "Shalom" surprises me. That and the fact that I have NEVER heard of a girl being named Shalom (except in this instance), whereas many women are given names like the ones I listed above. When I hear the name "Shalom", I think of a black suit-wearing, Orthodox Jewish bachelor.

I can't figure out how to embed stuff, otherwise i'd embed a music video of "A boy named sue" for you. :) Who KNOWS why our parents name us what they do! some names like.... Latrina (While its supposedly a deriviation of "Trina" but stil... WHY)

Edited to add: FWIW I think that people who bully other people over what they are named are a special kind of evil.

I'm pretty sure they gave Jubilee the middle name "Shalom" because they know it means peace in Hebrew. They probably have not a clue that it is actually a name.

It has to do with when you signed up. If you just signed up in the last couple weeks then I believe it won't let you start a new thread if you have less than 100 posts. Users who already had an account when the rule was made were grandfathered in.

Phew, thanks for explaining as I was starting to panic. Note to self; read the rules again but properly this time :oops:

I have an niece and a female cousin both named Billie. Don't fret yourself. It's a lovely name.

Does it really matter? *is a chick with a dude's name*

Also, the only Shalom I've ever met was a woman, so it's not completely unheard of.

If your name really is "Billie", then I'd have to say I like it. There are lots of names (Billie, Jo, Mickey, Jerry, et cetera) that I think work well for women.

It's really more an issue of the Duggars being so into traditional gender roles that their choice of the name "Shalom" surprises me. That and the fact that I have NEVER heard of a girl being named Shalom (except in this instance), whereas many women are given names like the ones I listed above. When I hear the name "Shalom", I think of a black suit-wearing, Orthodox Jewish bachelor.

You know how many Jews the Duggars encounter on a monthly basis? Zero. We don't know Jewish names/language/norms around here. If there are Jews or a temple in NWA, I'd be very surprised (I am sure there are Jews, but definitely no orthodox ones). I don't hold it against them for not knowing it's a male name. If you spend any time in xtian churches down here, you know that Shalom means peace, and that's all.

You know how many Jews the Duggars encounter on a monthly basis? Zero. We don't know Jewish names/language/norms around here. If there are Jews or a temple in NWA, I'd be very surprised (I am sure there are Jews, but definitely no orthodox ones). I don't hold it against them for not knowing it's a male name. If you spend any time in xtian churches down here, you know that Shalom means peace, and that's all.

As much as I agree that the Duggars shouldn't really be expected to know anything about Hebrew names, a quick google search reveals that there are actually a few synagogues in NWA. More than anywhere else in the state than Little Rock.

As for Orthos, there is a Chabad in NWA, though, to be fair, that doesn't necessarily mean that there are any other Orthodox Jews anywhere nearby. And although the synagogue in Bentonville seems to be unaffiliated and is certainly not Orthodox, the rabbi seems to have gotten his smicha from a Haredi (Litvak) Yeshiva in Brooklyn.

Really, I think it shouldn't matter about the name. There child is gone, I feel bad for them and to me they named her that way because it sounded like they gave shit about fetus #2106 or something like that. It's ABOUT the FETUS, nothing else and all else goes to shit after its born. Jubilee suffered a much better fate then her siblings being shuffled around like a freak show.

And I agree. Bullying about a name that a child didn't choose is horrible. My name's Layla. Like the song. And a chorus of 14 year old boys greeting one with a chorus of "I've got you on your knees, Layla. I'm begging darling please Layla" does tend to be scarring.

I'm Michelle, after the Beatles classic (though I'm surprised I'm not Layla too, given my Dad's love of Clapton). I would get "Meeeeeshell ma belle!" screeched at me daily. Only not nicely, tauntingly (I was the proverbial ugly duckling, rather awkward).

That said, I still start humming The Kinks and thinking of transvestites when I've had friends name their daughters Lola. I just hope the kids at school don't pick up on *that*!

Picking a name for my son that would not open him up to bullying was very important for me. We went for James, but ended up nicknaming him the much more androgynous Jamie. Still, at least he has a choice. And I know the meaning of it!

I'm pretty sure they gave Jubilee the middle name "Shalom" because they know it means peace in Hebrew. They probably have not a clue that it is actually a name.

I'm on this train. I don't think they've studied the Bible intellectually and have no clue about how the Deuteronomists (I doubt they even know who these authors were) punned on Solomon's Hebrew name (Shlomo) and Shalom to shape the irony of his rise and downfall. They likely ignore the beginning, praise the middle and use the ending as a "teaching tool."

I'm Michelle, after the Beatles classic (though I'm surprised I'm not Layla too, given my Dad's love of Clapton). I would get "Meeeeeshell ma belle!" screeched at me daily. Only not nicely, tauntingly (I was the proverbial ugly duckling, rather awkward).

That said, I still start humming The Kinks and thinking of transvestites when I've had friends name their daughters Lola. I just hope the kids at school don't pick up on *that*!

Picking a name for my son that would not open him up to bullying was very important for me. We went for James, but ended up nicknaming him the much more androgynous Jamie. Still, at least he has a choice. And I know the meaning of it!

I have a James too. My father has always called him Jimi and claimed he is named after Hendrix though....

Archived