IGNORED

Anna T is Taking Some Heat

slh12280

This. I don't have the right to tell any group of people that they are or aren't a country. I can only imagine what these people think of the American Revolution. You know, as in having the right to say "we're our own country and get the fuck out" kind of thing?

I have a friend who is a Palestinian Christian and he'd kind of like to have a country to live in and have a say in. So, it's not as black and white as the lobbying groups would try to paint it.

Though I will argue that the current population of Israeli have little to nothing to do with the people who used to live there eons ago. Then again, I've also learned that having a rational conversation about this issue is almost hopeless. I do get annoyed with the United State's "Israeli is always right" policy. No country is ever always right.

I think that both Palestinians and Israelis should have a right to self-determination. Israelis currently have it and Palestinians don't and that needs to change.

The current population of Israelis might have little to nothing to do with the people who used to live there eons ago, but they don't have anywhere else that is their home. That is the only place in the world they have to call theirs (note: this doesn't apply to American-Israelis, but it definitely applies to most other Israelis). That is true for the Palestinians, too. That's why something needs to be done so that they can both have self-determination and live peacefully on that tiny plot of land.

And, yes, America's Israel is always right policy is fucking annoying. And I think it's just as bad for Israel as it is for anyone else.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote="pomologyI think that both Palestinians and Israelis should have a right to self-determination. Israelis currently have it and Palestinians don't and that needs to change.

The current population of Israelis might have little to nothing to do with the people who used to live there eons ago, but they don't have anywhere else that is their home. That is the only place in the world they have to call theirs (note]

I agree with this. I have to say I find the view that "Palestinians are always right" view that some people have also annoying. I have fairly nuanced positions on the Middle Eastern conflict and I ffeel that a lot of people have an extremely rigid, tribalist view, for which the side that they support can do no wrong and the other is evil, while both the Israelis and Palestinians have their reasons and their faults.

As for Anna T, I don't see what she said that's so inflammatory. Considering her general outlook on life, I would have very surprised had she turned out to be a "Peace now" sympathizer. I find her posts on working mothers or her statements that secular Israelis aren't real Jews much more obnoxious.

[quote="pomologyI think that both Palestinians and Israelis should have a right to self-determination. Israelis currently have it and Palestinians don't and that needs to change.

The current population of Israelis might have little to nothing to do with the people who used to live there eons ago, but they don't have anywhere else that is their home. That is the only place in the world they have to call theirs (note]

I agree with this. I have to say I find the view that "Palestinians are always right" view that some people have also annoying. I have fairly nuanced positions on the Middle Eastern conflict and I ffeel that a lot of people have an extremely rigid, tribalist view, for which the side that they support can do no wrong and the other is evil, while both the Israelis and Palestinians have their reasons and their faults.

As for Anna T, I don't see what she said that's so inflammatory. Considering her general outlook on life, I would have very surprised had she turned out to be a "Peace now" sympathizer. I find her posts on working mothers or her statements that secular Israelis aren't real Jews much more obnoxious.

True. You can get what I like to call "Toxic Cheerleader Syndrome". It's what happens when one side in a conflict has supporters who are so gung-ho that they may not see nuance or appreciate the relationship between the two parties in the conflict, and these supporters actually make the conflict worse and prevent any baby steps that the parties themselves might take toward resolution.

I see this in family law cases all the time. My client's mother or new partner will come in, ranting and raving about the ex, even if my client themselves would be a bit calmer and more rational. Similarly, I know Jon Stewart mentioned recently on the Daily Show that you hear statements in the Israeli Knesset that are far more cautious about military involvement in Iran than you here among American politicians. With the Palestinians, the goal of making things better for those for actually live in the territories often takes a back seat to those who would love to turn the clock back to 1947, to the point that compromise can become dangerous. It's gotten to the point that when progress is made, it's often in a much quieter, off-the-radar way (secret negotiations that led to Oslo, or the more recent quiet cooperation between Israel and the PA to ease some travel restrictions and boost the Palestinian economy).

Archived