IGNORED

Who are the adopted kids going to court?

ladyamylynn

I wonder about all of the non-white children adopted into fundie families- who are they going to court and eventually marry? Somehow I just can't imagine Pa Morton, for example, or Doug Phillips, allowing one of his precious gifts from Jeebus marry outside their race. I'm sure they would have some kind of justification involving not being unequally yoked or some other bullshit. What do you think? Are there any examples out there of inter-racial fundie marriages?

Voddie Baucham's kids? Other adopted fundie kids?

I hate to say that you are right... I can't see the Bates being welcoming the idea of an interracial marriage. Especially considering their choice of wall decor.

Although the Bates have some adopted nieces and nephews, if I remember right.. I don't now wether their relatives just don't know or don't care about the stuff they put on their walls.

I expect that they'll marry each other or they won't marry at all. In many fundie families, I get the distinct feeling that their Rescued African Baby is more like a pet than a person, and they only get one (or a few) because it's the cool thing to do in their circle. I predict that the parents will claim it's God's will for that kid to stay home and be a lifelong caregiver. Even for the fundies that aren't overtly racist like the Bateses, I don't see many of them letting their white kids marry a black person. I think that babies adopted from Asia might stand some chance though, especially if they have lighter skin.

First: I misread the title as "WHEN are the adopted kids going to court?" and I was thinking, what, finally there's an abuse case coming up? Alas...

To actually answer the post, I kinda wonder if those adopted kids (particularly trans-culturally/trans-racially adopted kids, as others are mentioning) will have greater odds to break away from the lifestyle?

I mean, there are always going to be identity issues (more than just the ordinary identity issues that come with adoption in the first place) and so I kinda wonder what happens when they finally go somewhere and meet up with people from their bio background and have not only the "wow, what sort of person would I be like, would I be a member of this community instead if only..." but also noticing that those people aren't fundie religious.

But, dunno.

I expect that they'll marry each other or they won't marry at all. In many fundie families, I get the distinct feeling that their Rescued African Baby is more like a pet than a person, and they only get one (or a few) because it's the cool thing to do in their circle. I predict that the parents will claim it's God's will for that kid to stay home and be a lifelong caregiver. Even for the fundies that aren't overtly racist like the Bateses, I don't see many of them letting their white kids marry a black person. I think that babies adopted from Asia might stand some chance though, especially if they have lighter skin.

I get that feeling especially with the adopted girls.. they are no "material" to marry off, but the ones to do all the household and child raising chores when the biological daughters are given away.

I think it will end up depending on the family. Madara Smith will be a big test, as to whether they keep her home to care for all the boys with Sitara, or marry her off. She's about 16 now, so within a few years she should be married. A lot of the young Smith boys are adorable, and should be "marriageable" young men to the fundies.

To actually answer the post, I kinda wonder if those adopted kids (particularly trans-culturally/trans-racially adopted kids, as others are mentioning) will have greater odds to break away from the lifestyle?

Hopefully they won't do what Gabe from Intervention did. He broke away from his evangelical family only to become a heroin addict.

Voddie Baucham's kids? Other adopted fundie kids?

I hate to say that you are right... I can't see the Bates being welcoming the idea of an interracial marriage. Especially considering their choice of wall decor.

Funny you should mention the Baucham kids, since it was Jasmine who initially made me think about this. Though she's not adopted, I still can't imagine any of the fundie elite letting her marry their son... Obviously it's terribly sad.

Archived