IGNORED

Defrauding televangelists

Elle

Classic pictures of Jeeeezus Jan. It is amazing, especially what happened to poor old Tammy Faye and Jim Baker that these clowns have got away with this for so long.

Tammy was an advocate of gay rights, and highlighted the suffering of people living with HIV in the early 80's on PTL.

WTF is up with that woman? Is she a drag queen? Is there some rule which says that wealthy American televangelist wives must look like Rupaul?

Ooh! I drove past their headquarters every day during my visit to Orange County. Obscenely over the top and lit up like a Christmas tree at night.

WTF is up with that woman? Is she a drag queen? Is there some rule which says that wealthy American televangelist wives must look like Rupaul?

How many wigs does a person have to wear all at the same time?????

And PINK?

Well, I guess that's the least of their infractions. :roll:

No, but her husband might be (seriously, Paul Crouch has been accused of gay encounters).

The people in the OC (that'd be Orange County, California) are on the front row of all this televangelist stuff. First there's the Robert Schuller empire just imploding (leading to the Crystal Cathedral being sold to the local Catholic diocese for something like $54 million), and then there's these lawsuits.

I sat behind them at a rodeo a few years back, and she was dressed exactly the same way as you see her in those photos.

Ooh! I drove past their headquarters every day during my visit to Orange County. Obscenely over the top and lit up like a Christmas tree at night.

This, the heavily made-up look, and all the opulent spending are the result of prosperity gospel. God is "blessing" them - not necessarily with children, but with money, because they trust in God's provision and because they're doing God's work. PTL has always been a prosperity gospel channel.

No, but her husband might be (seriously, Paul Crouch has been accused of gay encounters).

One of their sons definitely is. I've met him.

My gay best friend met Jan at the mall in Atlanta (the most expensive, chi chi mall of course). He stopped to chat with Jan, and the friends with him thought the same thing, that she was someone he must have met at a drag show somewhere.

I giggled when I opened this thread because I realized that you meant defrauding in the usual sense of the word, not the fundy sense (I hope). I thought 'wow, someone is defrauded by these freaks?' (Then I decided that query was valid in both senses of the word.)

They used to be friends and business partners with Jim and Tammy Fay Baker, so none of this is surprising to me.

She does look like porrly dressed cross dresser. Which is funny because all the cross dressers I know of (grand total of 3) dress very nice and really look great.

RuPaul is better looking and more of a fashionista.

The Crouches are so gross. My mom used to watch them when I was a kid, and Jan would scare the shit out of me. She also used to watch Benny Hinn (sp?), who is a massive crook. I read an article about him, and the journalist who interviewed him mentioned that Benny Hinn was approached by an elderly woman who told him that she wanted to give him the last bit of money she had to her name (I think it was five or ten dollars), AND HE TOOK IT and said something about how the Lord would bless her. ( :puke-huge: I am definitely not surprised by this, only that it took so long for this to come out. It's interesting that the granddaughter is the one suing them.

The people in the OC (that'd be Orange County, California) are on the front row of all this televangelist stuff. First there's the Robert Schuller empire just imploding (leading to the Crystal Cathedral being sold to the local Catholic diocese for something like $54 million), and then there's these lawsuits.

I have a relative who lives in the OC and we have talked about the Schullers a few times. They have provided a lot of gossip and entertainment. Schullers really looked like asshole several months back when they were asking church members to make meals for Robert and his wife but limos had to pick up the food.

I giggled when I opened this thread because I realized that you meant defrauding in the usual sense of the word, not the fundy sense (I hope). I thought 'wow, someone is defrauded by these freaks?' (Then I decided that query was valid in both senses of the word.)

That was my first thought, too! I don't believe I've ever seen a good-looking televangelist, so I don't have to worry about any of them defrauding me. ;)

I have a relative who lives in the OC and we have talked about the Schullers a few times. They have provided a lot of gossip and entertainment. Schullers really looked like asshole several months back when they were asking church members to make meals for Robert and his wife but limos had to pick up the food.

Those who are by far the bigger fools -- and look like it -- are the ones who buy into it and go along with all the insane behavior. The Schullers, the Crouches, Benny Hinn, and countless others wouldn't even be in business if people were not so willing -- no....EAGER -- to embrace them. It's as if these lemming types go out just looking for ways to be taken in and defrauded.

Jan's a drunk and Paul's so gay it hurts. When I worked for an Allied Van Lines company in the late 80's we moved them from a mansion on the 17 Mile Drive in Carmel down to one above the cliffs in Laguna Beach. She was soused and just rude to the guys who did the move. They have to sober her up so she can stand next to him on the show. The reason they have side by side mansions in Texas is that she hates him. That can't get out to their "prayer partners". They're just hucksters who've hit on a very lucrative public who can't say anything wrong about them.

I'd take Tammy Faye over Jan anyway. At least she was honest about her frailties and she owned up to them. Jan, well Jan will be wearing that pink hair in hell, I hope.

Those who are by far the bigger fools -- and look like it -- are the ones who buy into it and go along with all the insane behavior. The Schullers, the Crouches, Benny Hinn, and countless others wouldn't even be in business if people were not so willing -- no....EAGER -- to embrace them. It's as if these lemming types go out just looking for ways to be taken in and defrauded.

I agree. I have heard about fans of televangelists being big fools. If the televangelist goes on tour, they follow and they send gifts and money like crazy.

I agree. I have heard about fans of televangelists being big fools. If the televangelist goes on tour, they follow and they send gifts and money like crazy.

.......of course, I guess history has proven that people will do strange things in the name of religion. It has that hypnotic effect for many.

The bigger the hair, the closer to God.

She must be touching God.

Or just offering God some yummy cotton candy!

These people turn my stomach...at least Tammy Faye ended up an open person and honest - these folks, well. As for their network, well, I laugh because Hinn is from Toronto (Don Mills). I must admit that I've been amused by Creflo Dollar (talk about appropriate name) and enjoy Joyce Meyers (although she's been accused of fleecing too)...but would I ever give any of these people cash? Um, no.

I'd take Tammy Faye over Jan anyway. At least she was honest about her frailties and she owned up to them. Jan, well Jan will be wearing that pink hair in hell, I hope.

I have a weird affection for Tammy Faye. I seriously want to hang out with her, have some wine, go shopping....whatever!

Archived