IGNORED

Sick kids = no free household help

Koala

I speculate part of her aversions to doctors to the degree she is (I'm pretty adverse to them and only go when really needed, but she makes me look like someone who will run to the doctor over the sniffled) is that she doesn't want to risk a non-Christian doctor curing her kids. It would be harder to claim god led the hand of a doctor who doesn't believe in god.

I'm sure that she would find something ludicrous to blame on going to a non-Christian doctor later. "3 Months ago we took [child] to the doctor. I normally avoid those perverts, but I against by better judgement, we took him in. Well, now he has [completely random unrelated ailment]. None of our family have ever had this before, and I KNOW it must be because of the [legitimate medical treatment] that quack doctor prescribed!"

I also think Zsu is afraid of routine check-ups with a REAL doctor. A real doctor might tell her some inconvenient things like maybe her kids aren't thriving as much as they should be, or that they are behind socially, or that maybe she needs to stop having kids so that there can be more than a paltry fruit-plate for new years. A REAL doctor might tell her that kids with asthma need REAL medicine in case of an attack. A REAL doctor might challenge her lifestyle on behalf of her kids, so there's probably some control there too. But honestly, I've read Zsu for a LONG time, and the rate of sickness amongst her kids is definitely increasing. I think there might be something she has to hide from a doctor.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are not OILY chips, they are FRESHLY fried chips. :roll: It bugs me that Zsu feels it is necessary to qualify all of her food choices with unnecessary details, why not just say ginger ale and tortilla chips. That's right, because she has to always think she is better than regular moms who just give their kids Canada Dry.

Just out of random curiosity, are you Canadian? I forget. Or do they have Canada Dry in the States?

But honestly, I've read Zsu for a LONG time, and the rate of sickness amongst her kids is definitely increasing. I think there might be something she has to hide from a doctor.

Like what? What do you mean?

ETA: sometimes when my stomach is upset, fried food like chips or dry ribs are the only thing I can handle eating. I have no idea why. Beauregard* is crazy.

(*Beauregard is the evil demon who lives in my tummy)

ETA: sometimes when my stomach is upset, fried food like chips or dry ribs are the only thing I can handle eating. I have no idea why. Beauregard* is crazy.

Nothing hugely serious like abuse or anything. I don't mean anything like that. When I first started reading Zsu, her kids didn't seem to get sick that often. I remember after I had been reading for like a year or so, the whole family got this nasty stomach bug and she blogged about it and how for so long they had barely even had a cold because their nutrition was so good, and no floride, and no ebil public school germs. Anyway, she turned it into quite the gloating post. For a while after, every now and again she would mention here/there how her family hardly ever gets sick.

With steadily increasing frequency though, there have been mentions of specific children being unwell in one way or another. Not whole posts about it, but brief mentions on how they were under the weather and occasional requests for prayers. She's also really stopped gloating about the lack of sickness. And no gloating is kinda a big deal when it comes to Zsu.

In a house full of kids, there will be illnesses. But I wonder if perhaps their immune systems aren't as great as they should be because of some environmental factors. I wonder if a doctor might push Zsu to supplement their diet or change their lifestyle for her children's health. I think Zsu really loves her kids, but I also think she is a prideful witch. I think she is afraid that she might someday hear that her blessed ways are doing harm to her children. And I think that subconsciously or not, she avoids situations where she might have to confront that, even if in reality she has nothing to be scared of.

ETA: Basically, I sometimes question if her kids get enough of what growing bodies need, and I think a doctor might as well. But I am not a doctor, so I wouldn't know.

I wouldn't necessarily take the kids to the doctor for a low grade fever and nausea. If it lasted then I would and I would keep a closer eye on my daughter as her immune system easily takes a knock. For the last few days all four of us here have had exactly that. Low grade fevers of around 38 degrees, nausea and then I woke up this morning at half four with horrible griping stomach ache. I then proceeded to puke and at about ten this morning the other end started :cry: I'm feeling a bit wobbly now but my stomach has settled and for the first time in a fwe days I do not feel sick. I'm thoroughly expecting the rest of the family to start with runny bums now as I was the first one with the low grade fever, then hubby, then son and finally little Miss Sola :cry: I have a feeling that I might not get much sleep in the next couple of days.

As for Zsu's kids always being sick lately, it isn't that surprising. Most kids get their fair share of bugs when they start school. School classrooms are a petri dish of virii and bacteria. By the time the kids have been in school for a couple of years they have picked up nearly every bug going around and by the time the kids are approaching adolescence they have healthy, robust immune systems as a result. If you isolate kids like Zsu has then those kids do not catch all the bugs going around and consequently their early childhoods are quite healthy. But as they get older and become more exposed to the outside world, because they didn't catch the bugs when they were younger, they soon fall sick. Little kids tend to fight off bugs far easier than older kids and adults so if they don't catch whatever is going around when they are tiny, they catch it later on and it lays them up for longer.

I wouldn't rush a kid to the doctor every time they threw up, but I would if it lasted more than a day. Dehydration can happen in the blink of any eye, and that's especially true for smaller kids. And people need more than just water, they need electrolytes. When I was a kid my pediatrician suggested pedialyte, but he also said you could use watered down gatorade or even watered down ginger ale. I don't think kids need medication for every little thing, by vomiting is not a little thing and ZsuZsu does not take it as seriously as she should (just like she does with everything else).

If it wasn't for the low-grade fever, I'd think that the kids are getting sick more as they get older because they realize that "sick" = not having to be mommy's slave. :whistle:

If she were to take them to the dr he would just say put them on the BRAT diet..and keep them hydrated. I don't take mine in for that unless it clear they need a IV. If I get the tummy bug I do sometimes call my dr and ask for that med to stop nausea because once I get it, I always end up in the hospital. I also have a highly special needs child and if I'm sick we are in deep trouble since I'm her care giver. Other wise I'd let the virus run its course. I guess I could instead make my older adult and teen children stay home and care for her but its not thier job to care for her kwim? Sure they can baby sit once in awhile but I choose to mother my own kids not depend on the sibs to do it.

I have never been to the doctor for flu-like symptoms alone. My mother (a medical professional) was against unnecessary medication, which she believed came from unnecessary doctor visits. She also thinks of medicine as a "back up" for when your body can't fight it on its own. Plus, doctors can't do much for a virus anyway, except make you more comfortable while it runs its course. For most cases, you can wait 24 to see how someone's immune system is doing before deciding how necessary a visit is. My mother isn't the only one. I know a lot of parents who don't bring their children in until day 2, except in emergencies.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Yes, stay the hell away from doctors offices and emergency departments when sick with simple viruses and not seriously dehydrated or in respiratory distress.

Your body will take care of the virus. Coming to the clinic just gives the virus an opportunity to spread to others, especially really sick people who are immunocompromised from their illnesses such as cancer, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, etc etc, or are old and frail or very young and frail. Those viruses could actually kill them, whereas most people who trot into my office with their sniffles are uncomfortable but will be just fine. STAY HOME.

I disagree. I think sometimes it is worth going to the doctor for just a virus. They can't give you anything to make it go away faster, but they can often provide symptomatic relief. If OTC stuff doesn't work, then what is so bad about taking a drug to reduce your nausea so you can keep down more food and fluids? It's not some badge of honor to suffer through it. In most cases your body will fight off the virus, but why not try to make it slightly less unpleasant while you're waiting?

I've never taken a child to the hospital for vomitting. I have only taken them to the doctor maybe twice out of 8 children and a decade and a half of parenting. I HAVE called the Pediatrician and had them call in Zofran on many occassions so that we can avoid ERs and doctor's offices. And, one of the two times I took a child to the actual doctor was a toddler with rotovirus when we ran out of Zofran and I wanted him looked at and not just have him call in more meds.

I don't rush to the doctor for viral infections unless I see something concerning. Even with something like rotovirus, so long as the child remains hydrated, they don't need seen and there is nothing a doctor can do about the actual virus. Puking is an issue. It can dehydrate fast as you cannot keep fluids IN. Diarrhea is less concerning, you just have to watch mucous membranes, skin turgor and kidney function (need to pee something every six hours or so).

As for giving them soda, it's a good option for the illness. You cannot give straight water to an upset stomach, it's too caustic and not the right Ph at all. Furthermore, with vomitting and diarrhea, you need to replenish electrolytes. The sugar content of the soda will provide some replenishment. They are probably craving the tortilla chips for the sodium. The only electrolyte she's missing is that is of concern is potassium. Perhaps if she's giving them bananas then she'll cover the potassium need. It's not exactly a BRAT diet, but lots of kids haven't read and aren't interested in the BRAT diet. She's getting the right electrolytes for the most part.

I'm not afraid of doctors, in fact we utilize them quite frequenly when necessary. I saw tremendous concern about how she managed the repsiratory exacerbation of her other child. This, however, is just an ordinary GI bug that is quite common to run rampant through large families and simply need to run their course. Honestly, I think her kids get sick more often because I think they are nutritionally deficient. I have a family the same size as hers and until recently we homeschooled almost exclusively. We've had bouts of insanity (like when Hand, Foot, Mouth or Chicken Pox or Strep throat ran through the household). However, for the most part we are NOT sick.

That said, when my kids are sick, I feel terrible for them, but I breath a sigh of relief that there is less mess being made for me to keep ahead of. It's their siblings who hate picking up the slack of their chores, but even one child down means the mess making slows some. Never have I missed having their help with MY job of parenting and maintaining the house because kids were sick. There is something terribly messed up that her immediate response is to miss the help they provide which they cannot continue while sick.

Just out of random curiosity, are you Canadian? I forget. Or do they have Canada Dry in the States?

Yup Canada Dry is sold in the states.

IDK what it's like to parent a medically typical child so IDK how I'd respond for a typical kid.

My parents didn't take me to the doctor unless I was still sick after several days and didn't seem to be able to get better on my own.

I do know among the 'natural' 'crunchy' etc crowd it seems like a badge of honor to suffer through an illness without the use of anything beyond herbs and other natural remedies. I'm not against the stuff from the health food store and use it. Still if my kid is miserable and reducing a fever even if it's not too high would help them sleep and thus fight off a bug I'll do it. If I'm sick and an OTC cold product can help me survive until bed time. Hand it over. I have heard so many times moms in playgroups almost bragging that they don't treat fevers until they hit 105 or so.

Count has the same thing he is drinking Hansen Ginger Ale, eating Matzo (store brought) and homemade chicken soup. He will be better by tomorrow or I will kill myself he is the worst patient, physicians always are.

If it is Issac that is sick and vomitting she needs to take him to the doctor, with his asthma his lungs could get damaged or worst it could trigger his asthma. Oh I forget I am only an ebil healthcare provider.

Here is the scarer thing about her posting she will 33 this weekend that means that she could breed for another 12-13 years, by my calulations that means she could have at least 7-9 more kids. World does not that many more hateful, socially backward and uneducated people.

They are feeling nauseous and eating oily chips? Interesting approach. Why not, say, take them to a doctor?

Depends on how long they have been sick. Our old Peds office wouldn't see kids until day 4 of a fever (if it was really high they needed to go to the ER anyway) and didn't want to see them at all for viruses. They ended up putting a note on my youngests chart to have him come in on day 2 of a fever because he had a lot of ear infections, so they did deal with things individually, but policy was not until day 4.

I don't think I would rush the kids to the doctor unless the symptoms kept up. I took my son when he got stomach virus but he was eight months old and I was nervous. Our ped was really nice and talked to me about how to take care of him but I probably could have gotten away without taking him. I just was nervous since he didn't want to nurse.

what a lovely woman this is. A normal parent leaving kids to get better for a day or two with gastro is no issue as long as you're monitoring for dehydration etc - but how normal is this woman. Feeding them greasy food (not out of the bag greasy but out of the oil greasy) - well, when she has to sponge it off the walls and sheets etc, she'll learn.

I am on the tail end of actual flu. Not gastroenteritis (which is hell, but a shorter version), but the bone aching, chill inducing, wracking cough, 7 day seasonal influenza. The whole family had it, including my kids aged 2, 12, and 15. After a week of rounds of tylenol/advil, a shitload of kleenex, a couple flats of juice boxes (only way to get 2 y/o to drink), I am the only one still on the couch. No doctor - no reason to clog up an already clogged up office or ER for something which the doc would say "go home, take fluids, sleep" (in fact my dh had a physical this week and that's exactly what the doc said - don't come in unless further complications etc). Of course, I've been thru 15 yrs of various kid sickness - and I think Zsu's got her head up her ass.

I have taken my babies to the doctor for viruses but then I was dealing with preterm birth babies and not full term guys. When one of my kids were sick and no sign of improvement after 24-48 hours or at the first sign of distress, I would rush them off. Sometimes the vomiting was just a symptom for another major illness. Same went with diarrhea, as that along with vomiting can be deadly for anyone at any age.

As for Zsu's kids always being sick lately, it isn't that surprising. Most kids get their fair share of bugs when they start school. School classrooms are a petri dish of virii and bacteria. By the time the kids have been in school for a couple of years they have picked up nearly every bug going around and by the time the kids are approaching adolescence they have healthy, robust immune systems as a result. If you isolate kids like Zsu has then those kids do not catch all the bugs going around and consequently their early childhoods are quite healthy. But as they get older and become more exposed to the outside world, because they didn't catch the bugs when they were younger, they soon fall sick. Little kids tend to fight off bugs far easier than older kids and adults so if they don't catch whatever is going around when they are tiny, they catch it later on and it lays them up for longer.

Excellent point. My son is one of a very few public school educated in our church and he is very rarely sick. I think he has been to the doctor TWICE in 12 years for illness! Twice for injuries, and all other times for sports physicals.

Guest Anonymous

Yep, when my daughter started kindergarten she was sick all the time. From about november to april she contracted about every cold, virus,flu and stomach bug going around. Her pediatrician said it was normal. It about drove me crazy but now she is 11 and hardly ever sick. This year we have been fortunate she hasn't brought any ick home from school. I think the flu shot she has been getting since 3rd grade has helped too.

Plus, doctors can't do much for a virus anyway, except make you more comfortable while it runs its course.

They can give you Tamiflu for influenza if you get there in time. My husband missed the window on that back when he had H1N1 and he wishes he'd gone in sooner.

Tortilla Chips almost always make my stomach feel better. Especially if I'm eating them with salsa. (Yes, really. My stomach is backwards.)

My dad drinks mint chocolate chip milkshakes when his stomach is upset. :?

I will snark on ZsuZsu for almost anything, but I can't snark on her for letting kids with these symptoms rest and drink ginger ale (excuse me, super speshul ginger ale) because I would probably do the same thing. My mom is an RN, and she did the same thing for kids with an upset tummy. However, as many others have mentioned, it's so important to monitor kids for dehydration. If the vomiting/fever lasted more than 48 hours and the kids couldn't keep down liquids, you better believe I would have them in the pediatrician's office.

Interesting story to support that... I remember once as a kid having a bout of nausea and vomiting. My parents had just gotten over a stomach bug, so they assumed that I had the same thing and I proceeded to rest and attempt to drink fluids. On day three or four of no improvement, my mom called the doctor and she had me come in. Turned out, I had strep but with no sore throat. Crazy, because I had had strep before with the typical symptoms. Strep can get serious if not treated, so it's a good thing I had a mom that wasn't afraid teh ebil doctors.

Not saying that Zsu's kids have strep, that would be unlikely, but they need to have a regular doctor who knows their history and can see them if a seemingly mild illness doesn't resolve on its own. From Zsu's general attitude and her previous posts about her response to more obviously serious problems (Issac's asthma, her husband's kidney infection), I don't believe that she is very vigilant about her family's health. She thinks she is much smarter than any worldly educated doctor or nurse though, so that makes her flippant attitude especially dangerous.

Archived