IGNORED

Blessed be ye poor in GPA

Koala

The other Joanne's latest blog post is...interesting:

A friend of mind forwarded me an email with these nifty tips in it. I would never use some of these tips, but I figured some might, so why not post them? I did however delete one that had to do with xmas; I cannot support that holiday. The wrapping paper one was questionable to me as well ... seeing how we do not participate in anything that requires wrapping a gift ... but I sure did think the organizing tip for that was genius! Enjoy! Oh wait, one more thing ... who has that many sheet sets to spare?! And all matching at that?!

Gift wrap is questionable? :?

I think it's not the paper that's questionable so much as what it represents.

Christmas is out, obviously. Valentine's too (do you wrap Valentine gifts? I'm out of the loop). Presumably getting birthday presents is making an idol out of the birthday person. Only the proper Biblical Holidays can be celebrated, and obviously you don't wrap presents for them because wrapping paper wasn't invented in the Old Testament. Or something.

I hear a lot of Christians say that they are persecuted in the classrooms for being Christian and that they get low scores on those papers which mention God. I have never experienced it. I have, however, been in a philosophy class where the professor took to task an atheist who had no reasons for her view on the supernatural other than that she just didn't believe it existed because she was an atheist. He didn't care what we believed so long as we were thinking it through.

Oh crap, I just turned in a paper before the break that mentioned "God" or the "Lord" quite a bit (it dealt with Solomon as a paradox). According to this crazy cow, I just flunked myself out of school. :roll:

Wonder what incident she's thinking of. There's a thriving fundie culture on most campuses, even secular ones in Canada, and I've never heard of anyone mocking anyone that was invited to preach. I can think of a youtube video where some preacher decided he was going to come to some campus, stand up on a bench and start preaching fire and brimstone to the students passing by, and a crowd of students with a boombox came along and started blasting "never gonna give you up" every time he tried to talk, and followed him around campus when he tried to relocate. But I can't see anyone interrupting a preacher if they were making a speech at a Campus for Christ dinner or something like that.

Not the same incident, but my undergrad alma mater counterprotested Westboro a few years ago. I'm so proud:

OZfZiBRFM5w

And this was the student paper article, which talks a little more about the full extent of the day's events:

chicagomaroon.com/2009/03/10/westboro-church-protest-meets-students-mocking/

Archived