IGNORED

Blessed be ye poor in GPA

Koala

This is Joanne of Narrow is the Way's church friend. They go to a church that goes street preaching with signs saying "Women, submit to your husband!" and "Women, know your place!" So, the crazy isn't surprising. Women aren't supposed to be educated. They are to stay home and listen to their husbands tell them what to do.

...because you can't go to college and be a Christian at the same time. Oh wait, YES YOU CAN! :doh:

This is my pet peeve. I'm 6 weeks away from my bachelor's degree and I'm (wait for it...) STILL A CHRISTIAN.

Fundies: If you're so scared that your kids are going to lose their faith by going to college, then maybe you didn't do a very good job teaching them. Just sayin'.

Jews traditionally have had such a love of learning, going back even before Jesus' time. If Christ had opposed this traditional value of his people, he had ample opportunity to say so. Yet he did not.

When you live in a building, eat food, receive medical care, read a Bible, ride in a vehicle or do just about anything, you are benefiting from the education of others. Is the knowledge used to feed, clothe and care for God's people so evil? Why are fundies opposed to giving back? Why is ignorance such an idol to them when the Bible says only bad things about fools? It is hard to think of a fundie man who has a productive occupation. They are determined to always benefit from the knowledge and hard work of others without ever giving anything in return.

It's because of attitudes like this that I seriously fear for the many children being homeschooled by fundamentalist parents. With this kind of disdain toward academics, how could the parents possibly be expected to give their kids a quality education?

First of all:

Woe unto you who pay large sums of money to university professors...

University professors wish they were being paid large sums of money! :lol:

There's a lot of personal growth that can happen when your GPA is lower than you'd like/expect--it can be hard to be faced with an objective measure of failure. But deciding that your failure is really a sign that you're better than everyone else is not a good way to handle the situation. Being humble about what you did or didn't do to make a grade teaches you how to handle your own mistakes.

She seems so far removed from that process though. Good students pay a lot of money to regurgitate what professors (wearing hats made of money) tell them to, what they do is easy and comes naturally. Poor students have been misunderstood by elitist professors and peers through no fault of their own. Has she ever tried to do something, and really failed? Or has every failure been chalked up to something other than personal actions, and now she hides in her street-preaching church, failing spectacularly in front of everyone (because when has street preaching won souls--never) to avoid the pain of hoping to succeed?

this is another good one from someone in their group:

keepinghiscommandments.blogspot.com/2012/02/bad-stuff-to-avoid.html

at first i thought it was a joke and then as i kept reading i was like "SAY WHAT?" :p

that's nutso...

they are so far off, it's hard to believe it's real

Woe unto you that laugh at the preachers who come to your campus and preach truth, for you shall mourn and weep.

Wonder what incident she's thinking of. There's a thriving fundie culture on most campuses, even secular ones in Canada, and I've never heard of anyone mocking anyone that was invited to preach. I can think of a youtube video where some preacher decided he was going to come to some campus, stand up on a bench and start preaching fire and brimstone to the students passing by, and a crowd of students with a boombox came along and started blasting "never gonna give you up" every time he tried to talk, and followed him around campus when he tried to relocate. But I can't see anyone interrupting a preacher if they were making a speech at a Campus for Christ dinner or something like that.

Wonder what incident she's thinking of. There's a thriving fundie culture on most campuses, even secular ones in Canada, and I've never heard of anyone mocking anyone that was invited to preach. I can think of a youtube video where some preacher decided he was going to come to some campus, stand up on a bench and start preaching fire and brimstone to the students passing by, and a crowd of students with a boombox came along and started blasting "never gonna give you up" every time he tried to talk, and followed him around campus when he tried to relocate. But I can't see anyone interrupting a preacher if they were making a speech at a Campus for Christ dinner or something like that.

I got the impression that her church group is arriving uninvited at some street corner and is screaming at students as they walk by, and now she's complaining because some students antagonized the church group back. :roll:

I am friends with a man that recently was ordained as a priest in the Catholic Church and earlier this year he posted on facebook "we are curious and proud . . First and second step to hell". I've always considered curiosity a positive thing. It provides the motivation for learning and discovery. What if the past scientists who made significant contributions and discoveries never felt any curiosity. Many inventions where made by mistakes. Many medicines were discovered by accident as well as the beginnings of chemotherapy. X-rays were discovered by mistake. What if the scientists who made these mistakes weren't curious about them and just ignored them? Where would society be today? Curiosity is a wonderful thing it drives people to discover the world around them and attempt new discoveries every day.

That is... actually pretty darn funny.

I think this extreme anti-intellectualism is the result of bitterness, envy and jealousy. She isn't very smart and hasn't achieved much and she is envious of people who have more than her and has decided that she is above them by declaring her godliness.

Envy is a sin.... but she is definitely the type who would never admit to that kind of thing.

Every time I read her blog all I can do is laugh. It is really impossible to take this woman seriously. Its just so completely absurd to want to entirely erase your personality and shut down your brain so you can be fully obedient. Basically I think she's a lazy woman who wants someone else to tell her what to do so that she bears no responsibility for either her actions or the consequences of her actions (ex: if her children don't know how to do math a few years from now...its not her fault...its the fault of Jesus and her husband...her only role was to be obedient). Basically she's an overgrown child whose only goal in life is to become a brainless robot.

I have no clue what she's teaching her children, but I'm going to take a guess that logic and critical analysis are not on her curriculum.

I hear a lot of Christians say that they are persecuted in the classrooms for being Christian and that they get low scores on those papers which mention God. I have never experienced it. I have, however, been in a philosophy class where the professor took to task an atheist who had no reasons for her view on the supernatural other than that she just didn't believe it existed because she was an atheist. He didn't care what we believed so long as we were thinking it through.

Well, there's local student fundie groups and then there's crazy lawn preachers.

Student fundie culture (of which there is plenty) is tolerated for the most part even by students who don't believe in it, even when they do pro-life protests that can get kinda questionable in taste and whatnot. They're clubs, you can join or not, just as you can join the intramural soccer teams if you want. But lawn preachers are another thing - they're itinerant preachers who show up on the lawn, often with family in tow, to stand and scream about how passers-by are all going to hell for being slutty and wearing pants, and oh by the way, God hates teh ghey, and let me prove to you with this banana how evolution is a LIE!!!

THOSE guys get mocked, often surrounded by students arguing with them. But they seem to relish that, really, and the students often fondly remember the craziness too later on (not that they EVER end up buying into it - it's just that out there). So it seems to be some sort of mutually entertaining stage show of sorts.

I hear a lot of Christians say that they are persecuted in the classrooms for being Christian and that they get low scores on those papers which mention God. I have never experienced it. I have, however, been in a philosophy class where the professor took to task an atheist who had no reasons for her view on the supernatural other than that she just didn't believe it existed because she was an atheist. He didn't care what we believed so long as we were thinking it through.

A lot of people think they're brilliant, and write some paper that in actuality has NO supporting evidence for the claims made in it and terrible or completely absent argument skills. They write sucky papers, because they have no skill (because they're new to writing).

But they THINK they're brilliant, so they will go all over the place proclaiming that they're being discriminated against for their political beliefs. It can't possibly be that they wrote a sucky paper on technical grounds, heavens no.

These people occur on both sides of the political spectrum but they seem more common on the right lately. They get inspired by various pundits and try imitating that style often, but just fail at it (and it's not what academic papers want anyway). I've seen some of the papers in question (being graded by my husband) and they are so bad even *I* can tell they suck. One guy even cited Conservapedia, I kid you not. (That shocked me - usually it's Wikipedia, which is similarly not allowed.)

On the other hand one of my coworkers is a libertarian (less hard core than in younger days) and freely admits to being one of those people, and sheepishly admits now that he realizes in fact his papers just sucked, because NOW he knows how to write and can tell. But at the time, he was always crying persecution.

Not the same but similar- In high school I had an english teacher ask everyone on the first day of class what their political affiliation was and I refused to answer the question. She really did have it out for me and I lost a lot of faith in myself because of her. (I was a straight A student except in her class I barely passed with a B). I used to love to write and because of her I stopped any writing I did. It wasn't until college when my English professor there asked me if he could save my papers to use an examples on what a good paper looked like. I think Religion and Political affiliations need to be kept out of the classroom (unless its like a religion class) so no one can claim the teacher hates me because I'm christian or whatever.

...because you can't go to college and be a Christian at the same time. Oh wait, YES YOU CAN! :doh:

This is my pet peeve. I'm 6 weeks away from my bachelor's degree and I'm (wait for it...) STILL A CHRISTIAN.

Fundies: If you're so scared that your kids are going to lose their faith by going to college, then maybe you didn't do a very good job teaching them. Just sayin'.

Me too! Amazing how these things happen.

Isn't it ironic she airs her anti-intellectualism on the very medium created and supported by a vast army of educated workers? You think the computer and internet were created by people who avoided learning? I find it funny that fundies never see the disconnect between putting down educational institutions and enjoying the labor of those they belittle.

I guess their traditional comeback is that the smartest, most inventive people were college dropouts and homeschoolers. However, aside from a few exceptions like Thomas Edison and Bill Gates, the rest of the world, and most of the world's best innovations, were the result of an educated populace who had to be trained to do what they do.

I know I wasn't smart enough to manage diabetes on my own. I'm glad we have schools to train physicians. I'm glad we have schools to train engineers. Heck, I'm glad we got schools to train lawyers! God isn't going to appear magically to instruct people how to build a bridge, trial a case, or treat cancer.

I wonder if she'd feel so happy if a surgeon tells her that he decided to read the Bible instead of paying attention in school or passing his board exams.....

You also have to consider that the reason Bill Gates dropped out of college was because he was bored and the college didn't offer classes in the field he was interested in. He was also sent to a very good private school that had a primitive computer that he was allowed to study. If not for that educational background he would very likely not have contributed so much to the field of computers.

What fundies don't realize is that ignorance isn't something worthy of honor. As a woman pursuing a graduate degree it it especially offensive that she thinks women don't need to know anything outside the home. I'll take my degree over mindless servitude any day.

Boy, you can't make this shit up. And then she claims she's NOT against studying and learning?? :?

Archived