IGNORED

Jesus drank grape juice.

FJismyheadship

Wow. So yesterday I posted lyrics to Miranda Lambert song Heart Like Mine. The lines were I heard Jesus he drank wine and I bet we'd get along just fine. He could calm the storm and heal the blind and I bet he'd understand a heart like mine.

Today i have a girl from church and am aunt i barely know telling me it was unfermented so it was grape juice. My aunt said people like to saw it was fermented so they can drink all they want. I know some of you are more knowledgable than I so can someone please explain to me the whole wine thing? I want to reply but only if I know what I am talking about. Maybe i should quick to Dolly lyrics. Nobody gets offended then.

If you watch Smuggar and Anna's wedding special, Pa Keller goes on about how Jesus did not drink wine...it was really grape juice!

This is fundies way of twisting Bible verses around to their own liking.

grape juice would only be around right after harvest. it would start fermenting within days on it's own. they just want it to be grape juice to justify their beliefs.

And in the wedding at Cana (sp?) story, they talk about how he waited until people were drunk and *still* brought out the good stuff, unlike most hosts who make the first round the decent hooch and then bring out the cheap crap. So no. Not unleaded.

There's evidence of grape cultivation for wine as early as the Neolithic period. I find it very hard to believe that they wouldn't have gotten the hang of the whole alcohol thing by the time of Jesus. Of course, to accept that evidence as valid, you have to accept that the world is more than 6000 years old . . .

I love that song. I laugh everytime I hear "IT WAS GRAPE JUICE!111!!!!!!!1111!! Of all the things in the Bible to not take literally.

It was actual wine. The Greek word in the Bible is oinos, which is also used when talking about wine that is clearly alcoholic (in one place in Ephesians where it says not to be drunk and in 2 others where it has to be alcoholic because of the germ-killing properties - the story of the Good Samaritan & the advice to drink wine with the water for your stomach/health).

Some people, mostly Baptists, will go to all sorts of lengths to try to say that drinking alcohol is a sin so Jesus would never drink or make wine, but it's not biblical and shows a lack of historical knowledge as well. In Bible times, it was almost impossible to keep grape juice fresh, so it was turned into wine or a sweet syrup like molasses. Also, the Baptists and most other teetotalers didn't pick up the no wine thing until the years just before prohibition (mostly pushed by the Seventh Day Adventists at that time). Before that, it was considered OK as long as it didn't lead to other problems and the first burboun whiskey was made/invented by a Baptist preacher names Elijah Criag.

It was actual wine. The Greek word in the Bible is oinos, which is also used when talking about wine that is clearly alcoholic (in one place in Ephesians where it says not to be drunk and in 2 others where it has to be alcoholic because of the germ-killing properties - the story of the Good Samaritan & the advice to drink wine with the water for your stomach/health).

This is what I had heard too. Some historian dude spoke at my church a long time ago, and he talked about how it was common practice to add wine to water to kill the germs as there often was not a clean water source, or water had to be stored in leather bags and got all gross, so adding 25% or so of wine killed the bugs and the bad taste.

It was also pretty clear in the story of Jesus turning wine to water that the guests were drunk and so were surprised that such good wine was being served so late in the party - usually good wine was served first when people were sober enough to appreciate it. It doesn't say whether Jesus drank it or didn't drink it, but I can't imagine if he'd just turned water into wine, that he wouldn't have tasted it to make sure he had done a good job! I know I would have!

And in the wedding at Cana (sp?) story, they talk about how he waited until people were drunk and *still* brought out the good stuff, unlike most hosts who make the first round the decent hooch and then bring out the cheap crap. So no. Not unleaded.

Sheeyat, even *I* know that story. We start reading the gospels for my Bible as Lit class (not in full, thank dog) after spring break. It was nice to finish out the Hebrew Bible and send us off to break with a fun lecture on the Song of Solomon. :dance:

Some people, mostly Baptists, will go to all sorts of lengths to try to say that drinking alcohol is a sin so Jesus would never drink or make wine, but it's not biblical and shows a lack of historical knowledge as well. In Bible times, it was almost impossible to keep grape juice fresh, so it was turned into wine or a sweet syrup like molasses. Also, the Baptists and most other teetotalers didn't pick up the no wine thing until the years just before prohibition (mostly pushed by the Seventh Day Adventists at that time). Before that, it was considered OK as long as it didn't lead to other problems and the first burboun whiskey was made/invented by a Baptist preacher names Elijah Criag.

This.

Alcohol was the key to making drinks safe in biblical times. Fruit juice would ferment without refridgeration and water supplies were not clean. Everybody drank wine, athough most people drank it very dilute.

grape juice would only be around right after harvest. it would start fermenting within days on it's own. they just want it to be grape juice to justify their beliefs.

More like hours. There are natural yeast and bacteria on the skin of the grapes. They start going to town once the skin is broken and they have ready access to the good stuff.

I have had a few batches start bubbling and smell yeasty with in a an hour of inoculation. Beer and wine are a passion. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Yeah. It was grape juice. That is why the bible warns against drinking too much of it. That grape juice. Man. So dangerous. You never know. :roll:

Oh wait, but those verses talking about wine actually mean wine. Otherwise wine isn't wine. Just sometimes wine means wine. Get it? :roll:

I can't remember the exact reference in the Bible, but it most definitely says that God gave us wine so that we might have joy. Grape juice doesn't even give little kids joy.

Also, Paul or someone writing in his name tells Timothy to "have some wine for thy stomach, and for thy other ailments." Because wine was also MEDICINE in any culture that had it. I have yet to hear a fundy actually work up the nerve to say that he was talking about the medicinal power of grape juice. :roll:

No refrigeration, no way to keep grape juice.

These people have obviously never been to the desert or left juice in a hot car.

Either that, or they've never had the grape juice sitting in a church with no air conditioning all morning in the summer.

Try Googling 'did Jesus drink wine' and you come up with a shed load of crazy, including spurious Hebrew translations and crap Greek.

It's so funny, how Christians can't bear to think that he drank the evil alcohol. It was a normal part of life in those days, people - get a grip.

So armed with my newfound knowledge i went and left a reply. I dont have copy paste but i took a decent chunk me what I learned and posted it. Hopefully I dont start a was on facebook. I am one me those people who hates to give in easily so i really dont know how i will handle it if i get idiotic replies except for posting them here so we can all have a laugh lol

More like hours. There are natural yeast and bacteria on the skin of the grapes. They start going to town once the skin is broken and they have ready access to the good stuff.

I have had a few batches start bubbling and smell yeasty with in a an hour of inoculation. Beer and wine are a passion. :obscene-drinkingcheers:

They sell that as "new wine" or "Federweisser" in Germany, in autumn - basically grape-juice that's starting to ferment. Sweet and goes down well, and then it knocks you out. If Jesus and the apostles really only drank that sort of grape-juice in a hot climate, they must have been perpetually tipsy.

Hm, Federweisser. The best thing about fall. But yeah, it DOES knock you out. lol

This grape juice thing confuses me. It wasn't so long ago that even pregnant women drank beer or wine instead of water because water was contaminated and unhealthy to drink. I want to ask how it's possible for these people to completely ignore history, but then there's the whole the earth is 6000 years old thing...

I remember being told by conservative, but not fundie, pastors that the wine was VERY fermented. It was probably weak and sweet and not at all like the stuff people get drunk on now.

Archived