IGNORED

Have we discussed Pinterest?

Karsaroni

I thought fundies weren't supposed to have any knowledge of popular culture. Obviously I was wrong, but what gives? How can they be "allowed" to have this knowledge? There are pins for popular music, current fashion, etc. Shouldn't they be ignorant of such things?

edited to clarify

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our own persuaded has a pinterest account under that name - the stuff she's pinned is just as sweet and lovely as she is!

I like pinterest because, with minimum effort, it lets me associate images of artwork with the artist's name and website. The obligatory public aspect of it is limiting, though - I'd like to keep track of stuff that violates their nudity ban.

I thought fundies weren't supposed to have any knowledge of popular culture. Obviously I was wrong, but what gives? How can they be "allowed" to have this knowledge? There are pins for popular music, current fashion, etc. Shouldn't they be ignorant of such things?

Ditto! I was totally shocked by some of the pins! Jasmine and B. Dish's (gagging at the name!) in particular. It just goes to show that despite all the blogs and pontificating that the VF royalty does, these young kids are exposed to quite a bit of the real world. No wonder the parents have such a tight rein on them... their 200 year view will implode if they don't I guess. I so wish the Morton gals would get on board with Pinterest. Then again I can see Mama Jeanine not liking it as it will distract Addie and Martha from their household chores. Can you imagine Adeline's Pinterest page!?!?

ETA to add another one: Lyndsie! http://pinterest.com/lyndsiebrooker/

She has pinboards named after her kids, presumably for all the crap she wants to buy for them. Maybe she'll have a fundraiser for it!

Wow, she has a lot of balls to pin pics of $30 Ralph Lauren onesie-things while at the same time she has that "define necessity" picture in her FB photo album.

Pinterest annoys me. Say someone pins a chicken finger recipe they like... when you click, it doesn't always bring you right to the recipe, it's like a looooong side trip to get to the recipe. I also can't help but notice it's my laziest friends with the dirtiest homes who are constantly pinning dumb DIY shit they'll probably never get off their asses to do.

Wow, she has a lot of balls to pin pics of $30 Ralph Lauren onesie-things while at the same time she has that "define necessity" picture in her FB photo album.

I really can't fault her for that, I pin a lot of shit I'll never have either the time or the money to actually have. It's like scrapbooking the Pottery Barn catalog and Better Home andGames. GARDENS! (thanks auto correct)

What's the deal with Pinterest, anyway? I don't get it.

From what I can tell it's an acceptable way for fundies to be covetous and make idols out of stuff.

Pinterest annoys me. Say someone pins a chicken finger recipe they like... when you click, it doesn't always bring you right to the recipe, it's like a looooong side trip to get to the recipe. I also can't help but notice it's my laziest friends with the dirtiest homes who are constantly pinning dumb DIY shit they'll probably never get off their asses to do.

Why yes, they would be much better people if they kept their homes to your standards and engaged in leisure activities you find acceptable.

Btw, other than the rare pin, I find clicking on the picture itself causes another window to pop up, leading me right to the recipe/instruction/etc. And if it doesn't, there's this little thing called Google. But I guess only those who are smart enough not to look down on people they call their friends would realize this. :roll:

Anyways, I like it because it's a visual bookmarking device. Now, rather than search through God knows how many bookmarks to find that technique or recipe, I can just go to my pin board and actually see it.

I can see Pinterest being really useful for me as my son gets older, because I already have so many ideas for things to do with toddlers and young children bookmarked, and my son is only three months old. =p

With Pinterest, I would be able to keep all of those things in one spot, without filling up my bookmarks. Also, I've found some great food blogs by lurking on peoples' Pinterest pages. And since my body has changed since I've had my son, it is nice to get fashion inspiration from there. It may sound ridiculous, but I'm kind of clueless as to how to put together cute outfits that don't show tons of skin. I also think that Pinterest would have been really useful while I was planning my wedding, since I used to put together inspiration boards, but doing it with Pinterest would have been much easier.

Pinterest is evil. Srsly!

I go on there for 10minutes to kill some time then my eyes unglue from the monitor 3 hours later. I pin all the home stuff, DIY, Sewing and cooking but I never end up doing any of it.

I really can't fault her for that, I pin a lot of shit I'll never have either the time or the money to actually have. It's like scrapbooking the Pottery Barn catalog and Better Home andGames. GARDENS! (thanks auto correct)

Right, but we already know she stocks up on $$$ shit she doesn't work to pay for herself. We know she buys craploads of makeup (necessity, Lyndsie?) and monograms the tar out of everything. We've seen her registry with all the top of the line baby "must-haves". It's not as if she's sitting in a tiny apartment, crocheting handmade hats for African newborns in need and coupon clipping so she can afford to sponsor a child over there. She is so self-absorbed that she doesn't realize that SHE is the entitled, spoiled princess with tons of boxes and packages that the "define necessity" picture is supposed to skewer.

Why yes, they would be much better people if they kept their homes to your standards and engaged in leisure activities you find acceptable.

Btw, other than the rare pin, I find clicking on the picture itself causes another window to pop up, leading me right to the recipe/instruction/etc. And if it doesn't, there's this little thing called Google. But I guess only those who are smart enough not to look down on people they call their friends would realize this. :roll:

Anyways, I like it because it's a visual bookmarking device. Now, rather than search through God knows how many bookmarks to find that technique or recipe, I can just go to my pin board and actually see it.

Wow, really? You didn't know I was being sarcastic? You do get points for calling me stupid and a bad friend based on the fact I don't like Pinterest. 1+2 clearly makes 5 there.

I'm using Pinterest as kind of a "bank" for all the ideas I have for my future apartment. I always see stuff I like on tv, in magazines, online, etc., and I think "Hey, I wanna do that!". Then I forget about it 5 seconds later. So now when I see a project or piece of furniture or whatever that I like, I look for the same thing or something similar online and pin it. Currently I'm looking through back issues of Coastal Living and trying to find similar things online at much lower prices.

Wow, really? You didn't know I was being sarcastic? You do get points for calling me stupid and a bad friend based on the fact I don't like Pinterest. 1+2 clearly makes 5 there.

Ah, the old "but it was just a joke" line. Not really good. And I called you a bad friend due to

I also can't help but notice it's my laziest friends with the dirtiest homes who are constantly pinning dumb DIY shit they'll probably never get off their asses to do.

A bad friend, to me, would equate Pinterest with my ass being lazy & my house being dirty. You know, JUDGING my house and interests to THEIR standards

I just so don't get pinterest. I'm sure mine would be some kind of eclectic menage that combines the best textiles of a Mongol yurt with some campy Louis XIV and 1950 modern. Which is how the current hovel is decorated :oops:

Me, neither. I've tried, but I just can't get into it. . .

Does anybody know if Jasmine is engaged? There's a huge amount of wedding stuff on her Pinterest, and in greater detail than the inspiration boards I made during my engagement.

Me, neither. I've tried, but I just can't get into it. . .

What does one do it for? What's the point? It looks a bit purposeless to me.

Over the past few weeks, some of my relatives have been posting links to their Pinterest profiles on Facebook. I like the site because there some cool ideas for food and cleaning. I kind of see why some fundies love it.

What does one do it for? What's the point? It looks a bit purposeless to me.

I can show you what I use it for:

http://pinterest.com/min0u/art-body-information/

I want to connect images to the names of the people who made them and to their websites, if they have them. I've spent a lot of time trying to remember "that leaf thing, by that guy?" and this is a way I can keep track of that information with minimal effort.

I've started following some other users who pin a lot of student and regional artwork that I would never be exposed to otherwise. So now there's a discovery aspect, too.

My mom uses it to organize recipes - having a collection of food pictures that link back to the recipes and instructions is useful to her. I don't really use a lot of recipes when I cook, so that's not so useful to me.

I think it's a way to organize visual information, basically. For people who aren't visual thinkers, or are really good at just remembering stuff, it's probably pretty pointless.

I can show you what I use it for:

http://pinterest.com/min0u/art-body-information/

I want to connect images to the names of the people who made them and to their websites, if they have them. I've spent a lot of time trying to remember "that leaf thing, by that guy?" and this is a way I can keep track of that information with minimal effort.

I've started following some other users who pin a lot of student and regional artwork that I would never be exposed to otherwise. So now there's a discovery aspect, too.

My mom uses it to organize recipes - having a collection of food pictures that link back to the recipes and instructions is useful to her. I don't really use a lot of recipes when I cook, so that's not so useful to me.

I think it's a way to organize visual information, basically. For people who aren't visual thinkers, or are really good at just remembering stuff, it's probably pretty pointless.

I use mine as a visual reminder of links that I find. My bookmarks folder is huge so sometimes I don't remember which link is which. By putting them into pinterest it makes it easy to see what I am looking for at a glance. It's here if anyone wants a look, http://pinterest.com/solamarisol/ it will probably bore you to tears though, it's all crafting stuff mainly.

Oh God, I hope Jasmine is engaged. If she's not and she's posting all that wedding stuff, it's really sad. (I've done that kind of thing, too...but it's still sad!)

Jasmine is so smart and so cool; it breaks my heart that she is not doing something really big with her talent.

Archived