IGNORED

3/20 Duggar Episode - Joy aint no baker!

Buzzard

The girls probably enjoyed the weekend without all of the howler monkeys around - less people to cook for and clean up after. They may have actually gotten some downtime.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What if i told them that i know a middle aged brother and sister... And the sister cant cook for shit but the brother makes the most amazing food ever and even makes stuff that i do not like taste damn good.

Look how Jim Bob shoved poor Josiah off to the side of that hay bale. Aren't parents supposed to take the bullet for the kid and not the other way around? (OK, I know it's a game, but still...)

Sigmund Freud would have had a field day analyzing the scene where Justin "kills" Jim Bob over and over again.

TLC, I salute you.

Boob (very uncomfortably): "Oh, I didn't know you got that on camera. Sorry, Josiah."

Brother against brother. Justin overkilling Boob. My, my, my. Where to start?

Any decent therapist would drool over this episode of I'm Going To Die Having More Kids and I'll Still Be Counting. My heart is breaking for the youngest ten or so kids. Their lives have revolved around these insane TLC shows for so long that I cannot imagine what life altering changes await these children.

Didn't undertsand how Jimbob felt lost because his "girls" were not there to help get the boys ready and dressed? Jackson was the youngest at 7? Do 7-22 year old boys new that much help gretting dressed and brushing their teeth? By the time my kids were 6, they could get up on their own and pick out matching clothes and get ready for school.

Was that Arby's meal a comp? I can't believe JimBob would spend over $100 on fast food lunch.

Remember when they left JD and Joseph at home after Josie was born and the rest of the family went to Little Rock? They wouldn't even throw away rotten food or put away Christmas decorations (still up in February) because that's "girl's work." The J'Slaves were sent to Tonitown to save the day. :roll:

So yeah, I can see how these idiots would be completely lost without someone to pick out their clothes and gel their hair. And other than the AquaNet, that includes Boob, whose daughters pack HIS bags for trips. His own wife is now too fucking lazy to do even that.

Didn't undertsand how Jimbob felt lost because his "girls" were not there to help get the boys ready and dressed? Jackson was the youngest at 7? Do 7-22 year old boys new that much help gretting dressed and brushing their teeth? By the time my kids were 6, they could get up on their own and pick out matching clothes and get ready for school.

Of course they don't, especially not in an old cabin. Does Jed really think he needs Jana to dress him? Even Boob knows it isn't true, but they will stick to their basic theme regardless: Females nurture, nest, dress, feed and otherwise support males in any way males demand. Males play at hunting and do a little painting and light plumbing.

Ironically, the Duggar males consistently make men look essentially useless and unnecessary (beyond adding the Y chromosome into the gene pool).

They really pushed the gender divisions in this episode. That seems to be such a big deal with the Duggars. I loved Jim Bob's comment about Joy not having much practice in the kitchen because of her older sisters, oh, and her mother. Mentioning Michelle was a total afterthought. Joy might like to bake cookies, but that does not make her very domestic and helpmeet minded. What if Joy does not want to stop being a tomboy? Michelle insisting that she she is becoming a young lady, or whatever nonsense she spouted, does not make it true. Not much choice in this family, I guess. At least the Bates family will allow a girl to hunt if she wants.

When Michelle said that she loved watching Joy learn all the things 'girls like to do like cooking and stuff', I wanted to reach through the TV and punch her in the throat.

I fucking HATE cooking. I also don't sew, knit (though I wish I could) or do any stereotypical girly things. I like being a girl but I just don't buy in to these socially constructed ideas that Michelle seems to has. Not only that...but she doesn't even look after her own kids and I can't really call TTC 'food'. Maybe she should go and learn to fucking cook.

Fuck you, Michelle...FUCK YOU. Learning to feed yourself and make yummy should shouldn't be a 'girl' thing, it should be a people thing. I wish I liked cooking and baking because I love yummy food.

Fuck I hate this woman.

Did you see the product placement for Arby's? They received a credit at the end. To bad the producers can't find a restaurant that has a nice healthy salad bar for their lunch. ;)

They really pushed the gender divisions in this episode. That seems to be such a big deal with the Duggars. I loved Jim Bob's comment about Joy not having much practice in the kitchen because of her older sisters, oh, and her mother. Mentioning Michelle was a total afterthought. Joy might like to bake cookies, but that does not make her very domestic and helpmeet minded. What if Joy does not want to stop being a tomboy? Michelle insisting that she she is becoming a young lady, or whatever nonsense she spouted, does not make it true. Not much choice in this family, I guess. At least the Bates family will allow a girl to hunt if she wants.

It seems as though in this episode TLC wanted them to come across clearly as the ignorant fuckwads they truly are as parents. Joy clearly ain't into baking (I loved her comment about not being emotionally attached to the cookies), despite her parents continued insistence that she WILL be a young lady and will love doing young lady things. Normal people know many boys and men love to bake and many girls and women can't be arsed about it. Most of us have seen the men on the Food Network programs.

And Michelle beaming with her insipid that's-just-the-way-boys-are! attitude about the J-boy who was making a complete mess of the kitchen by violently hacking at the cookies? Hey, DQ - TELL HIM TO KNOCK IT OFF. Someone (not you, of course, but someone) is going to have to clean up the mess and there was nothing cute about it.

But TLC outdid themselves with the footage of Jim Bob shoving and nearly slamming Josiah into a tree during the game. Showing it twice? And then putting Boob on the spot about it? He looked like a nasty, abusive bully who deserved to "killed" again and again by a gleeful, angelic-looking little Justin.

Has no one in the Duggar family ever used parchment paper when baking cookies? No excuse for a 14 year old to make cookies that are glued onto the cookie sheet. Parchment paper is the greatest baking aid ever!

So, speaking of the cookies, WTF was Joy doing with the plastic spoons? At first I thought she was just trying to pick the cookies up, but then she proceeded to smoosh in the cookies' sides and then used a spatula to transfer them to the plate. Was she trying to make them look like four leaf clovers or flowers or something? Weird.

At least the Bates family will allow a girl to hunt if she wants.

Meh, I don't put much stock in the birthday hunting episode. If Alyssa (I think that was her name) had such an interest in hunting, why hadn't she been in the last 17 years or so?? And she talked about "next time" like it would have to be another special occasion. If the Bates family are so much more progressive in their gender roles, I would think she would be allowed to accompany her brothers/father any time they go. Plus, girlfriend was hunting in a skirt and knee-high boots... I wouldn't be surprised if this was staged by TLC in an attempt to make their new fundie pets seems less crazy than the Duggars. They are obviously aware of the average criticisms and are hoping to head them off at the pass with this new show.

I nearly drooled out my malted milk seeing them playing laser tag - this is exactly what Steve Maxwell ranted and raled against in his talk, although actually he said paintball. He repeated many times: "this is not how fathers and sons should interact! They should not pretend to kill each other!" If the Maxwells catch this episode, will the Duggars be on their shit list? No more sticky note schedules for you, Duggars, come to think of it we haven't seen that mess at the Tontitown palace ever, have we.

Did you see the product placement for Arby's? They received a credit at the end. To bad the producers can't find a restaurant that has a nice healthy salad bar for their lunch. ;)

Nice catch. Now we know why the restaurant was empty yet fully staffed. No way boob would pay for that much food!

I'm watching The Little Couple right now and they just showed a commercial for next week's 19 k&c. It showed parts of the funeral - I was just at a funeral in January of a beloved family member and I can't imagine having a camera shoved in my face during that. Who the hell ASKS to be filmed at such an emotional time? Its just fucked up all the way around.

If you watched the Little couple, wasn't the miscarriage done tastefully? You could tell they were sad, they said a few words and then they were positive again about pressing on. It was only a 1-2 minute segement at the start of the episode to inform viewers. Jen and Bill are a class act, the Duggars could really learn something from them(but then again Jen spent 20 years on her career). It shows you that TLC could have exploited the little couple's tragedy over a whole episode but for some reason they did not so after seeing this I really think Michelle and Jimbob WANT the whole miscarriage shown and it is not TLC trying for ratings. I think TLC would have done the same thnig they did for Bill and Jen for JB and Michelle if they had asked.

If you watched the Little couple, wasn't the miscarriage done tastefully? You could tell they were sad, they said a few words and then they were positive again about pressing on. It was only a 1-2 minute segement at the start of the episode to inform viewers. Jen and Bill are a class act, the Duggars could really learn something from them(but then again Jen spent 20 years on her career). It shows you that TLC could have exploited the little couple's tragedy over a whole episode but for some reason they did not so after seeing this I really think Michelle and Jimbob WANT the whole miscarriage shown and it is not TLC trying for ratings. I think TLC would have done the same thnig they did for Bill and Jen for JB and Michelle if they had asked.

I had the same thoughts about the handling of their miscarriage. No exploitation angle whatsoever. I can only assume Jen and Bill have some editorial control over TLC, because it will exploit any tragedy it can get its hands on. In the case of the Duggars, of course, were only too happy to cooperate in order to further their anti-choice agenda.

And I’d just like to add that Jen is the coolest, most down-to-earth reality show personality I've ever seen. Stay golden, Jennifer.

I just love Jen & Bill! I so hope they can have a baby, they would be such wonderful parents.

Buttt.... buttt...butttttt....Mullet says Joy has to do stuff that GIRLS love to do, like COOK. :roll:

Meh-heh-heh-heh-heh! Keep cultivating those kitchen "non-skills," Joy; they may just be your ticket to freedom.

May I just say, DH is a wonderful cook who loves to experiment, and I am ... not. I HATE to cook. We only eat a couple of meals together a week (I am vegetarian and he is not), but when we eat together, he cooks. When I lived by myself, I survived by bulk cooking and freezing crockpot meals I could toss together in my sleep, and still do that. He has no interest in split pea soup, and I am not about to hold my nose and cook hamburgers, and we're both just fine with that. Same with chores. We have an even split, except when ones of us works extra hours so the other picks up the slack. I have absolutely no intention of trying to get better at this stuff than I already am, and would actually counsel Joy to do the same unless she really *does* enjoy it. :-) My lack of skill has forced a much-appreciated balance that might otherwise not be there in my own life.

Edited to add: I know every kid (including Joy and most especially her brothers, in this case) needs to learn basic "take care of yourself" skills for cleaning, cooking and laundry just to survive in adulthood, but Joy doubtless already knows those, in spades. That's why I'm thrilled to hear she might not be particularly proficient beyond that. She probably knows enough to take care of herself if she ever did live on her own without having so mastered it she'd end up being a "godly prize" for some dweeb at 18. Run, Joy, run!! :-)

There was also a commercial for Arby's in the segment before they ate there. I only caught that on the repeat (after all the boards went down and I was pretty much forced to watch TV since my eyes were too tired to read).

But TLC outdid themselves with the footage of Jim Bob shoving and nearly slamming Josiah into a tree during the game. Showing it twice? And then putting Boob on the spot about it? He looked like a nasty, abusive bully who deserved to "killed" again and again by a gleeful, angelic-looking little Justin.

They did that?!

YES! :bow-yellow:

Look how Jim Bob shoved poor Josiah off to the side of that hay bale. Aren't parents supposed to take the bullet for the kid and not the other way around? (OK, I know it's a game, but still...)

Sigmund Freud would have had a field day analyzing the scene where Justin "kills" Jim Bob over and over again.

I love how Jim Bob looked surprised and had the attitude of, oh you saw that?

Archived