IGNORED

Michaela is definitely the "2nd mom" in the Bateses family

0 kids n not countin

The children were excited to join Emalee Bean in celebrating her birthday at the zoo, where they had plenty of opportunities to pet the animals and enjoy a live tiger show!

She posted about taking the "children" to the zoo. I'm sorry but imo, most people refer to their siblings as their brothers & sisters, as in "my brothers & sisters were so excited..." I guess it's a "Quiverfull" thing to refer to one's younger siblings as the children. I noticed in 19KAC Jill & Jana would refer to Josie as their or our baby, hello, she's your sister!!

Sorry, just another thing I find sad and annoying about the fundy/Quiverfull lifestyle.

By the way is "Michaeluh" an actual name? I've never heard of it before and always want to say Michaela (Mikayla) but know they pronounce it "Michaelah".

I never noticed it before, but every new baby in our family is referred to as "ours". When my son was first born it was "hows our baby?" and in FB comments and such "our baby was born". That was not only by my mother, but my sister and brother in law too. Not sure if this is the same reason as the Bates, but I had never noticed it before.

She posted about taking the "children" to the zoo. I'm sorry but imo, most people refer to their siblings as their brothers & sisters, as in "my brothers & sisters were so excited..." I guess it's a "Quiverfull" thing to refer to one's younger siblings as the children. I noticed in 19KAC Jill & Jana would refer to Josie as their or our baby, hello, she's your sister!!

Sorry, just another thing I find sad and annoying about the fundy/Quiverfull lifestyle.

By the way is "Michaeluh" an actual name? I've never heard of it before and always want to say Michaela (Mikayla) but know they pronounce it "Michaelah".

I think Gil and Kelly maybe saw the name and just decide pronounced kind of like Michael. My sister had a friend whose name was written as Deborah but she and her family pronounced it as De-bor-ah. They used to get pissed when people would say it as Debra.

Yes, Michaela is a real name but not a popular one. The first time I heard a girl named Michaela was when I was in 6th grade and the high school student teacher was named as such. We the class were surprised that a girl could have a boy's name. (Sexism alive and well back in 1980) Miss. Michaela told us that it sounds like a boy's name but it really was a girl's name. After that I found there were 2 other Michaelas in our small town of 20000. Who knew?

I never noticed it before, but every new baby in our family is referred to as "ours". When my son was first born it was "hows our baby?" and in FB comments and such "our baby was born". That was not only by my mother, but my sister and brother in law too. Not sure if this is the same reason as the Bates, but I had never noticed it before.

That's a pet peeve of mine. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

I remember my older cousin telling me that when she was taking her younger siblings somewhere she would say "I'm taking the kids". My aunt had 13 kids, definitely wasn't fundie, and birth control wasn't available (well except the natural planning method or abstinence). So, I'm thinking it's a regional thing.

Yes, Michaela is a real name but not a popular one. The first time I heard a girl named Michaela was when I was in 6th grade and the high school student teacher was named as such. We the class were surprised that a girl could have a boy's name. (Sexism alive and well back in 1980) Miss. Michaela told us that it sounds like a boy's name but it really was a girl's name. After that I found there were 2 other Michaelas in our small town of 20000. Who knew?

Anyone else think "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" when they hear it?

No?

*back into, "My family was fundie then, it was as racy as TV was allowed to get!" lurking*

Anyone else think "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman" when they hear it?

No?

*back into, "My family was fundie then, it was as racy as TV was allowed to get!" lurking*

Oh, yeah! And a little tidbit for you, Colorado Springs was never that green or wooded back in those days. We are in a high plains desert and green and trees are not the natural surrounds unless you are right smack dab on the creeks/rivers. 10 feet off the river is dry. So maybe they filmed it in the mountains or somewhere else*.

* Hollywood.

It drove me nuts that they changed the actress that played Colleen and acted like she was the same person. I remember there was one episode that had mentions of sex in it and we had to turn it off. Growing up fundie, never fun.

Michaela is the feminine of Michael. It's just not as common as Michael. I prefer this traditional spelling to all the other spellings, like Smuggar's daughter's name.

If she's talking only about her much younger siblings, I think it makes at least some sense for her to say, "the children." I've heard non-fundie people who had significantly younger siblings refer to them as "the kids" or something. I've even heard people do it when their siblings weren't significantly younger, but they were teenagers who wanted to make themselves feel more grown up.

When my daughter was born, it was an "our baby" thing too. At first I wanted to bite anyone who said that because MY baby. New mommy, MY baby. Then after a month or so, I had no problem. Even now, I'll call her "our girl" with family and close friends. She may not be their daughter, but she's their granddaughter/niece/honorary niece, so in a way she's their girl too.

But with these fundy kids, I think it's "their baby" because they'll be raising it like a son or daughter.

But with these fundy kids, I think it's "their baby" because they'll be raising it like a son or daughter.

This.

That's the feeling I get anyway from these fundie families. It seems to me the term kid/baby/child/children is what comes to their mind first because their relationship with the younger siblings is more like the parent/child relationship. Well at least for the older females, I have to watch & listen more carefully to see what the older male siblings say when they talk about the younger ones. I do notice that the Arndt "men" seem to like to use the phrase "the oldest 7" (or whatever number) or "the youngest 4" etc.

My younger sister is not quite 7 years younger than me and I have and still do refer to her as my kid sister or my baby sister, but it's more of an affectionate way to refer to them. For whatever reason, I don't get that sense of affection when fundies refer to their siblings as kids (not that they don't feel affection for their siblings, I'm sure they do), but that could just be me.

I hear the name Michaela a lot. Maybe it's a Midwest thing? I had a Michaela in my classroom one year and there were a few younger girls in the school named Michaela (or Mikayla or Mykayla or Mykaylah..... pick the craziest spelling you can come up with). It was more popular near the end of the '90's (in the top 100 names in '97- yes, I looked it up).

I hear the name Michaela a lot. Maybe it's a Midwest thing? I had a Michaela in my classroom one year and there were a few younger girls in the school named Michaela (or Mikayla or Mykayla or Mykaylah..... pick the craziest spelling you can come up with). It was more popular near the end of the '90's (in the top 100 names in '97- yes, I looked it up).

Challenge accepted: Mykaighlah.

I've met plenty of Mikayla's, but not any Michael-a's. I've always wondered why Michaela is normally pronounced "Ma-kay-la" when Michael is normally pronounced "My-kul."

Mcque5ylah. (the '5' is silent)

I went to school with a Michala - pronounced Mick-uh-luh. Without fail, every first day of school, when taking attendance, the teacher would read it out as "Mikayla" and she'd have to correct them.

I've always wondered why Michaela is normally pronounced "Ma-kay-la" when Michael is normally pronounced "My-kul."

I'm a linguistics buff and I know the answer. The is phenomenon called anticipation, where people will pronounce earlier nouns slightly differently when you add a suffix or other ending. There are all kinds of words like this, and often the changed pronunciation is preserved even when suffixes drop off or other parts of the word change over time. This is actually why we have verbs like lie/lay, drink/drench, and fall/fell (as in fell a tree). In Proto-Germanic there was a suffix that changed a verb from doing something to causing something else to do that something. Over time the suffix dropped off but we still have different verbs with different vowel sounds.

I read in a aticle about preparing my son to be a big brother to use "our baby" instead of "my baby" so that way he feels as though he's included in the change. And my nephew refers to his baby sister (four years apart) as his baby. But I think it's weird when older people refer to children who aren't their kids as my baby. I could see calling younger siblings the "children" since I would do that when referring to much younger cousins.

When my twins were born, we introduced them to my son as "his babies". They are all grown up now and he still sometimes refers to his sisters in this way. "I saw my babies today, Mom."

I've been pretty sure that Michaela was the 2nd mommy in the Bates family ever since I saw an episode of 19K&C that took place at the Bates home and I couldn't figure out until close to the end whether the baby Michaela was holding through out most her interviews was her's (I though she might have gotten married and popped out one of her own) or one of Kelly's...

Honestly, I think Michaela doesn't seem to mind being a second mom to the younger ones. She has that motherly look and among her other sisters, she seems to enjoy being a sister mom. Princess Erin is too busy with her super awesome music career and Alyssa seems to enjoy being a photographer, like every other fundie girls in ATI world, whereas, Michaela looks like she loves to have a baby in her arms more.

There was a boy in my 3ed grade class named Ashley. I know its male name. But, it was strange for me. All of the Ashley's I knew were girls.

Archived