IGNORED

Garlands of Grace attack Catholics

fluttershies

I was about to post about this. Absolutely disgusting. I commented on it earlier in the day and my FB inbox has been BLOWING UP ever since. They probably won't even acknowledge it or explain it or cry PERSECUTION!!!!

The kicker is the one picture in their profile where someone comments and they attack her with this weird reply:

Garlands of Grace

Hi (left her name out)! I couldn't help but see your profile picture:)Because I care about you, I would like to share God's Word with you:

"For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;" Revelation 22:18

Please turn away from the Anti-Christ LDS doctrine and embrace the teachings of the Bible!!!

How RUDE. :roll: :(

I'd love to see how they'd respond if someone said "Read this book about evolution and science and leave Christianity. Become an atheist today!" They just... don't... get it. You can't just say whatever mean thing you want and expect people to want to do what you're doing. As my mom says, you catch more bees with flowers than with vinegar.

I still DO NOT GET how headbands with a flower qualify as "headcovering" for fundie protestants and catholics. If you go to a pre vat II church, I guarantee a floral headband on an adult woman does not qualify as a chapel veil, hat, mantilla, or headcovering. I would suspect ditto with the fundie "covering my head for my headship crowd". Just don't get it. It's hair decor, not headcovering.
I don't quite get it, either, but I'm not going to let that stop me from venturing some guesses. :lol:

Most women I've met who cover every single day tended to go for more coverage--at least a kappe, or a bandanna that covers the top of the head, and a few non-Orthodox Jewish women who wore tichels. For most, it was an internally-driven spiritual mandate, rather than obedience to dogma. Same goes for the Muslim women I've met who wear hijab. They're hardcore headcoverers.

But I've also met a few women who only cover in church, and go bare-headed the rest of the time. And since dressy hats are rarely worn by women anymore (with the exception of black women and their church "crowns"), any kind of head covering, even if it's just a glorified headband or one of those silly doilies, must seem significant enough to count. It might just look like a fashion accessory. It might be merely symbolic. But "merely symbolic"? For a lot of people, that's good enough. It fulfills the spirit of the law, if not the letter. But for others, it isn't; they want a more literal headcovering--the letter of the law is what counts.

Consider how many fundie and fundie-lite churches are okay with a woman having short hair. Others might insist on longer hair that they can safely see as unambiguously "feminine," and disapprove of "mannishly" short cuts. Still others might teach that a woman's hair is her glory and she must never, ever cut it. So I imagine that what constitutes a proper headcovering has a similar range of expression--from glorified headband to bandanna to full coverage.

Also, some women might be nervous about headcovering when they first start, and not have much support for it, so they choose a headband as a beginning step. Or maybe they want to wear a covering, but don't want to alienate people, or they see ostentatious displays of headcovering as a form of vanity, so they stick with something discreet--because God sees what they're doing, and understands. It's an agreement between the woman and God, not the woman and other people, after all.

(Edited for clarity.)

These are just guesses; there are no doubt plenty of reasons I haven't even begun to consider.

So anyone have/know of some sewing patterns for these:

"Suzanne's Eyelet Covering"

"Cecily's Anywhere Scarf"

"Meg's Snood"

I've tried making ones before but the sizing was all off so I needz teh patternz.

Thanks Jezebel! That was helpful.

I find the whole "covering my head for my headship" so foreign. Hope Gallons of Grace feels a huge hurt in their smug, narrow wallet. You would think that fundies who cover would stick together, but I guess the opportunity to slam Catholics is just too irresistable.

I don't quite get it, either, but I'm not going to let that stop me from venturing some guesses. :lol:

Most women I've met who cover every single day tended to go for more coverage--at least a kappe, or a bandanna that covers the top of the head, and a few non-Orthodox Jewish women who wore tichels. For most, it was an internally-driven spiritual mandate, rather than obedience to dogma. Same goes for the Muslim women I've met who wear hijab. They're hardcore headcoverers.

But I've also met a few women who only cover in church, and go bare-headed the rest of the time. And since dressy hats are rarely worn by women anymore (with the exception of black women and their church "crowns"), any kind of head covering, even if it's just a glorified headband or one of those silly doilies, must seem significant enough to count. It might just look like a fashion accessory. It might be merely symbolic. But "merely symbolic"? For a lot of people, that's good enough. It fulfills the spirit of the law, if not the letter. But for others, it isn't; they want a more literal headcovering--the letter of the law is what counts.

Consider how many fundie and fundie-lite churches are okay with a woman having short hair. Others might insist on longer hair that they can safely see as unambiguously "feminine," and disapprove of "mannishly" short cuts. Still others might teach that a woman's hair is her glory and she must never, ever cut it. So I imagine that what constitutes a proper headcovering has a similar range of expression--from glorified headband to bandanna to full coverage.

Also, some women might be nervous about headcovering when they first start, and not have much support for it, so they choose a headband as a beginning step. Or maybe they want to wear a covering, but don't want to alienate people, or they see ostentatious displays of headcovering as a form of vanity, so they stick with something discreet--because God sees what they're doing, and understands. It's an agreement between the woman and God, not the woman and other people, after all.

(Edited for clarity.)

These are just guesses; there are no doubt plenty of reasons I haven't even begun to consider.

I'd say you're on the money (as someone who mixes in headcovering circles). If a woman is not from a headcovering community/church then something discreet can be really important.

And wow, 184 comments, mostly negative, and not one response from GoG. For a post that was supposed to get Catholics to reject Rome, many comments sure make Catholicism seem much more reasonable and attractive than Protestant fundiedom. And wow, that LDS comment mentioned upthread is incredibly rude. Why do these women want to insult their customers??

Absolutely stupid on the part of the owners of Garlands of Grace. Bedshitting of the first order.

Agree, there are some very dignified and thoughful responses on the part of the Catholic and Protestant women who don't agree with her.

I still DO NOT GET how headbands with a flower qualify as "headcovering" for fundie protestants and catholics. If you go to a pre vat II church, I guarantee a floral headband on an adult woman does not qualify as a chapel veil, hat, mantilla, or headcovering. I would suspect ditto with the fundie "covering my head for my headship crowd". Just don't get it. It's hair decor, not headcovering.

Back in the swinging 60's large decorated headbands, usually with archetype 60's artificial flowers were what young woman wore in church instead of hats and mantilla's.

I "liked" a few of the pro-Catholic comments just to be encouraging. This woman is a bigot, I hate bigots of all kinds. Now I know to NOT buy her lovely products. I will not fund that kind of behavior.

Both of those are common. Also, a lot of women get into headcovering through friends or blogs and their husbands are either against the idea or not very enthusiastic, so the headbands can be a way to ease into it without standing out.

So anyone have/know of some sewing patterns for these:

"Suzanne's Eyelet Covering"

"Cecily's Anywhere Scarf"

"Meg's Snood"

I've tried making ones before but the sizing was all off so I needz teh patternz.

I have some of the Cecily coverings (regular and extended length) and I think I have one of the Suzanne ones, or something similar. If I get a chance, I can try to make a tracing and photos, if you think you could turn that into a pattern.

If I don't send it by Friday, remind me next week, because I'm going out of the town for the weekend and the next couple days are going to be crazy with trip planning and birthday stuff for my rugrat.

I have some of the Cecily coverings (regular and extended length) and I think I have one of the Suzanne ones, or something similar. If I get a chance, I can try to make a tracing and photos, if you think you could turn that into a pattern.

If I don't send it by Friday, remind me next week, because I'm going out of the town for the weekend and the next couple days are going to be crazy with trip planning and birthday stuff for my rugrat.

Could you also send those to me too, Raine? I seem to have the same taste as you fine ladies. And those would help cover my thin hair this summer. ;)

Almost 400 comments and not a single one from GoG. They do have a few minions like Todd Irwin who acts like a troll. Edify yourself in the Lord, my ass...He is just a bully.

For those of you who asked for patterns, I've decided to take the time to make a "real" pattern for a few different styles, instead of just tracing and trying to explain it, so it will be a week or two), depending on the weather - if it rains I'll get more done, but if it's sunny we've got a bunch of work to do outside too). When/as they're done, I'll send them out to the people who asked.

I just ask please not to repost them on the web or sell the patterns or coverings made from them, because I've tossed around the idea of opening my own etsy shop for a while and will probably end up doing that once I have patterns made up. (So if you do make any and have feedback on how to make the directions or coverings better, that'd be awesome).

They won't be exact same as the ones from other places, but will have a similar shape to some of them, with a few changes to take care of some of my personal annoyances (slipping back, visible clips, the wings/flare thing in the back, etc). I can send the dimensions and differences between the GoG patterns and mine once they're done,if anyone is just in love with a certain style.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after several weeks of silence on FB, the ladies at GoG posted several Bible passages that are frequently used against Catholics. That is all they have said. Very disappointing, and so incredibly passive-aggressive and childish. I shouldn't be surprised, but I am.

It's just so bizarre - so passive-aggressive (they've liked comments by people supporting them) and it's not like Catholics don't agree with the verses they've posted anyway?

They had the same reaction when several people commented on their page regarding the Susan G Komen/Planned Parenthood ordeal.

Archived