IGNORED

Who's seeing The Hunger Games this week???

holierthanyou

Anyone seen the Huff Post article or Tumblr about all the racist tweets there've been about Rue and Cinna not being Caucasian. People are IDIOTS!

This is ridiculous. When they cast Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss everybody called it "whitewashing" and bitched that the actress was "too white." (It's true that she's described as olive-skinned in the book, which Lawrence is definitely not). There is always something to bitch about I guess. It clearly states in the book that Rue is like Prim but "very brown."

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen the movie yet, but seriously? Do people actually read the words in books anymore? Rue was clearly described as having "satiny brown skin." It never crossed my mind that anyone could read that description and think that she was Caucasian. As stupid as that is, what really bothered me was that some of the tweets mentioned in this article went much further than voicing "surprise." Some were so atrocious, I felt physically sick. Some people are too disgusting to not be fictional bad guys.

As for Cinna, Collins described him in such a general way that any good actor could have played him. I can't say I know a lot about Lenny Kravitz's acting skills. If they are good, then he will be Cinna for me. At the very least, he'll be eye candy because Kravitz is one good looking dude.

he is Cinna! He did not even have to audition the part!

And of course love triangles have to be resolved by making one of the character a jerk... which they had shown no sign of being previously.

I think that in the Hunger Games, this was the best resolution and there were hints from the beginning about it.

How Gale has always been against the Capitol and how Katniss just does not seem the issues the same way. Yes Gale can understand better her life pre-Games, but living with someone who has PTSD was just not for Gale. He was always less forgiving than her, and what she needs is forgiveness.

This is ridiculous. When they cast Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss everybody called it "whitewashing" and bitched that the actress was "too white." (It's true that she's described as olive-skinned in the book, which Lawrence is definitely not). There is always something to bitch about I guess. It clearly states in the book that Rue is like Prim but "very brown."

It wasn't that people "bitched" unfairly or trying to look for a problem that wasn't there. The book described Katniss as olive-skinned, and the casting call that went out and was published specified white. That is pretty much the definition of whitewashing.

Overall, I loved the additions to the movie, but was upset by most of the cuts.

I saw it last night, and I have to say I agree with the above.

It was good, but... I felt like it was missing something. I also brought (dragged) my fiance with me. He has not read the book. I ended up filling him in on a few things not in the movie. It helped make a few things make more sense.

I was really annoyed they never explained much about the mockingjays. Or the other muttations. They kind of gave a small explination with the tracker jackers. I was sad that District 11 didn't send the bread.

I'm hearing a lot of people agree that the camera is TOO SHAKY for much of the beginning and end.

I'm hearing a lot of people agree that the camera is TOO SHAKY for much of the beginning and end.

Definitely. They did it to obscure the violence.

It's missing Katniss' snarky little commentary. Think about it.

I think you are right. Without that, I don't think there was enough character development. You get a great look at her and her life, family and friends in the book. It was severely lacking in the movie.

Definitely. They did it to obscure the violence.

They did it in the very beginning, when Katniss was running out of her house to go hunting, and leading to/during/after the reaping scene. I understand it to minimize the violence, I actually appreciated that, but the rest of the time it was just damn annoying. My husband and I went to see it last weekend and we had to leave because it was making him sick to his stomach. We're going to try again tonight without the "ultra screen."

I think you are right. Without that, I don't think there was enough character development. You get a great look at her and her life, family and friends in the book. It was severely lacking in the movie.

Agreed, I think the movie would have benefited having her voice over with her thoughts. I think it was also missing the fact that she was trying to put on a show - cocky on the outside, vulnerable and unsure on the inside. They referenced it once or twice with Gale and Haymitch, but unless you were really looking, you couldn't see that.

Advice Peeta is making me way too happy right now, I thought you guys would want to know about it:

advicepeeta.tumblr.com/

The actress who plays Rue is almost the splitting image of one of my daughters, so I'm not sure if I emotionally can handle seeing the movie. I'll probably debate with myself until it leaves theaters.

They did it in the very beginning, when Katniss was running out of her house to go hunting, and leading to/during/after the reaping scene. I understand it to minimize the violence, I actually appreciated that, but the rest of the time it was just damn annoying. My husband and I went to see it last weekend and we had to leave because it was making him sick to his stomach. We're going to try again tonight without the "ultra screen."

Don't know if you've seen yet, but the director did not sign on for the next film and most fans are in an uproar. I am one who was YAY! Not because I think he did a horrible job, but just because of the shaky camera work. Whether he did it to obscure the violence or not, I'm hoping the new director goes a different route!

Oh, good! I always like it when new directors step in, otherwise it's just the same movie over and over. I think the HP series really benefited from having different directors.

Was cinna really never specifically described as black in the books? Huh. In my head, cinna was always black. Kravitz nailed it for me. Now kravitz can nail me. Oh dear. Did I type that out loud?

Was cinna really never specifically described as black in the books? Huh. In my head, cinna was always black. Kravitz nailed it for me. Now kravitz can nail me. Oh dear. Did I type that out loud?

When I read the book I actually imagined Stanley Tucci as Cinna, weirdly enough. But he so rocked Ceasar that I took back my chagrin. Lenny was wonderful - such sensitivity.

He was wonderful, wasn't he? He is just dreamy. Tucci was BRILLIANT. he is just awesome. His range and versatility are amazing.

Eta this.

lenny-kravitz-mama-said-1991-front-cover-29304.jpg

His style!...lenny would totally fit in in the capitol. This album is when I fell in love with him. Fields of joy is on my all time top ten.

Something random I noticed: That line in Caesar's hair. Is it me, or is he wearing a bump-it?

I wouldn't be surprised. They are supposed to be very stylized in the Capital.

Here is an interesting piece of news I saw today, but I wasn't quite sure it warranted it own thread:

http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/04/16/hu ... ay-stance/

I already like Josh Hutcherson and think he did a great job with Peeta (who is a pretty meh character in the books IMO), but now I like him even more!

Archived