IGNORED

"Judeo-Christian"

RR88

I've heard it used in more or less neutral/academic contexts to basically designate "Western culture that comes from the Old and New Testament rather than from the Greek-Roman world."

However, it's true that it's used by conservatives as a way to cut out Islam and intensify the illusion of Judaism and Christianity having more in common than they really have.

Yup. As I was not raised around fundies or particularly conservative rhetoric, I have ONLY ever heard it used in academic contexts, to be basically synonymous with "western."

I've only ever heard the term to designate religions that share the OT/Torah, and mostly in university classes.

Ditto that here....

You said it more eloquently than I did; thank you.

I'll third the love... particularly the part about trying to imply that "Judeo-Christianity" is the key ingredient for democracy and free enterprise (a.k.a. enlightened morals). Plenty of the fundies we snark here are all OVER that idea.

I've only heard this term used to describe ideas or attitudes that are based on the OT. In other words, Christians use this term to avoid ascribing to Christianity alone attitudes, ideas, etc., that actually have their basis in the old testament and are therefore common, or were common, to both faiths. I have never heard this statement used to imply some "legitimacy by association" concept. Would you prefer that Christians claim sole credit for ideas and attitudes that originate in the OT, and pre-date Christ??

When I was a little kid, some member of my church told basically told me that the Old Testament was the entirety of the Jewish religion, and Christianity was simply Jesus added on to that. The sad thing is that she really believed she was doing this as a good thing, to teach us tolerance for Jews and not to develop bigotry toward them. I actually believed it for years too, until I was a teenager and realized that Judiasm is much, much more complex than that. But there are plenty of adult Christians out there, even mainline ones and not just fundies, who truly believe that Judiasm is simply Christianity without Jesus.

I've only heard this term used to describe ideas or attitudes that are based on the OT. In other words, Christians use this term to avoid ascribing to Christianity alone attitudes, ideas, etc., that actually have their basis in the old testament and are therefore common, or were common, to both faiths. I have never heard this statement used to imply some "legitimacy by association" concept. Would you prefer that Christians claim sole credit for ideas and attitudes that originate in the OT, and pre-date Christ??

It depends. A lot of the things that are called Judeao-Christian are not in the Torah and not believed in by Jews. If Christians invented the idea, they can own it. If they really appropriated it from the Jews, call it Jewish.

I once had a co-worker say, quite sincerely, "Oh you have ten commandments like us!"

My well-meaning and ought-to-have-known-better Christian grandmother once said to my Jewish fiance "So, you have the Old Testament too?"

His reply: "Yes, in fact we wrote it....

My well-meaning and ought-to-have-known-better Christian grandmother once said to my Jewish fiance "So, you have the Old Testament too?"

His reply: "Yes, in fact we wrote it....

That is truly sad.

My little siblings used to be in a Christian Theatre group that only did plays with Judeo-Christian values. That included things like Aladdin and High school musical :lol:

Honestly, most of the time when I hear someone use it, my brain interprets it as *what they really want to say, but don't dare, is "white"*.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I get.

Honestly, most of the time when I hear someone use it, my brain interprets it as *what they really want to say, but don't dare, is "white"*.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's the vibe I get.

That's interesting. Then again, even though I am of European ancestry and have pale skin, I don't consider myself "white" since I don't usually fit in with mainstream "white American Christian" culture. Most of my friends are fellow Jews, as well as Muslims and (black) Christians.

Wow, talk about gung-ho prozelitizing! I'd hate to have a neighbour like that.

One of my weirdest proz. exp. happened to me when I was in grade 3. I took the school bus and my driver was this young, blonde, hippie-ish lady. She was very chatty and friendly, so since my house was at the beginning of her route I'd often sit close to her. One day she started talking about how a few yrs back (we were in 1984 or so) she was heavily into drugs, living the same kind of life as Christiane F. lived in West-Berlin (that book and movie were really popular at the time). She'd tell me lots of drugs "war stories"; keep in mind that I was only 8 or 9 yrs-old and I didn't really know what drugs were. Anyways, she'd also mention that every friday nights she'd go to the "Mission" and listen to this amazing preacher who saved her from drugs and debauchery. Her friday revivals happened to be in the same suburban town as I lived with my Dad, so she gave me flyers with bible verses on it and the adress. One day my father asked me what I wanted to do on a particular friday night after school, so I casually said: "let's go to the Mission where Louise, my school bus driver, wants me to go". Dad took one look at the flyer and threw it away. He then gave me a talk about cults, told me the Jonestown story and how sometimes fathers would lose their teenage daughter to a religious cult just like the Mission. Next thing I know from next monday on my Dad would drive me to school for the rest of the year...

A few years later I read an article in the local paper about a cult named "La Mission de L'Esprit Saint" (the Mission Of The Holy Spirit) and how it ruined so many people, spiritually, mentally and financially. A former policeman started that cult in the 1920s in a Montreal suburb. When the net became widespread I spent one afternoon reading everythig I could find on it. They're still at it, ruining lives as before.

I think I'll open a thread on them. They're a cult based on fundie christianity.

I kind of went a bit off topic here; I remember one day at school I saw the bus driver and asked me why I never came to the Mission" I said that my Dad didn't want me too and that it was a dangerous place. She became very angry and her last words to me were : "Your life will be a living hell without Jesus and only us in the Mission can help you live a good life."

I was only 9 yrs-old!!!

Oh, and about "Judeo-Christian"? I also wonder why people use that.

I was one of 5 non mormon children in my school. My family was Lutheran and we went to church every sunday. In third grade, the kids in my grade started to realize that there was a difference between me and them. Most of them told me that their parents said they could not play with me because I was an evil atheist. They would even try to convert me over to being mormon. Telling me that I would go to hell if I did not become mormon. The social pressure was extremely hard to deal with as a 9 year old. Some of the children even started to bully me. The principle allowed the students to bully me and the other non mormon children. Our parents even had a meeting at one time to try and figure out what to do. I did get in trouble a few times because I fought back. In the end, I was transferred to a different school in 5th grade. The difference was night and day. The students at the new school were accepting and never bullied the children who were not mormon. But, by then, there had already been a great deal of damage done to me. I still have to deal with those scars today.

Archived