IGNORED

IBLP, you should know better

Sola

http://iblp.org/iblp/news/2011/11/001/

Followed a link from the David loves Priscilla thread and found this in IBLPs news page about the Romania trip.

The last three days in Romania seemed most significant, as we visited two Gypsy villages and an orphanage. We also hosted an Open House at our local property and lodge (future home of a large ministry center). Each day, the Lord seemed to bless more than the last, and the conclusion to our trip took place in a small Gypsy church, where we experienced revival and the power of the Holy Spirit.

You would think that Gothard would know that Gypsy is racial slur. It is the Rroma equivalent of N*gg*r and is very offensive.

Idiots.

I agree it's an offensive racial slur, but don't really think there are any 'equivilents' to the N word.

Definitely not surprised that Gothard uses racial slurs though! Oh IBLP, you have SO many "basic life principles" to learn yourself.

So why is TLC still pimping out My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding? Shouldn't they rename it since it is that offensive of a word?

So why is TLC still pimping out My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding? Shouldn't they rename it since it is that offensive of a word?

1. Yes, TLC should, but I doubt they will (or care).

2. Sorry for being ambiguous in my wording, when the use of the word gypsy is over the top offensive is when it is used in lieu of a word like 'cheated' or 'robbed'. (e.g. That cashier totally gypped me!). To use it in an intended respectful way is just not knowing/ignorance of the fact that 'gypsy' is not the word Romani people prefer. Maybe a bit like Eskimo vs Innuit?

Aren't Travelers (or Romany) usually staunch Catholics? What were these ProtestantFundy/Cult members doing feeling the spirit in a Catholic church? Isn't that taught in IBLP 101, that Catholics are the devil?

Well, the show is about Irish Travellers, so they can't say "Roma" instead of "gypsy." I think if they said "Traveller" instead of "gypsy" it would just confuse people. I don't think it's OK to use "gypsy" in the show title, but I don't know what a workable alternative would be.

Yes, a hear that word a lot nd many people here (in Alabama) have no idea how offensive that is

My Canadian parents have used it a lot. I actually didn't know it was a slur until maybe last year.

2. Sorry for being ambiguous in my wording, when the use of the word gypsy is over the top offensive is when it is used in lieu of a word like 'cheated' or 'robbed'. (e.g. That cashier totally gypped me!).

Actually, there's some ambiguity about whether the word "gipped/gypped" originally referred to "gypsies". I know it sounds like an obvious connection, but there's no real evidence for it.

Well, the show is about Irish Travellers, so they can't say "Roma" instead of "gypsy." I think if they said "Traveller" instead of "gypsy" it would just confuse people. I don't think it's OK to use "gypsy" in the show title, but I don't know what a workable alternative would be.

Actually, there are some Roma brides on the show and they're IDed as such.

I remember getting into it regarding this when the trip highlights were posted last summer (I think a couple of the Bates girls went as well and Kelly posted about it). I definitely questioned why they'd try to convert those ebil Catholics, but then again, they're following the Mormons into the same countries, competing to win the same corrupted (in their view) souls, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Actually, there's some ambiguity about whether the word "gipped/gypped" originally referred to "gypsies". I know it sounds like an obvious connection, but there's no real evidence for it.

Well, a generation ago here people used to say that the cashier 'jewed' them. When Jewish groups became more vocal about the offensiveness of that, all of a sudden 'gypped' became the new wors used. I don't think it's a stretch to say that is coming from a racialized stereotype of gypsies stealing things, particularly since I have read that in multiple books from the world of academia.

2cents. ;)

Well, "gypsy" is offensive not just because of the word "gyp" but because it refers to the erroneous idea that the romani people originated from Egypt (they actually migrated from northern India).

In the UK, the term Gypsy isn't offensive. So it may not be in Romania, either

In My Big Fat Gypsy Weddings, the participants describe themselves as either 'Romany Gypsies' or 'Irish Travellers'.

In the UK, the term Gypsy isn't offensive. So it may not be in Romania, either.

Yeah, but to whom is it not offensive- to the majority non-Roma or to everyone including Roma?

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, but to whom is it not offensive- to the majority non-Roma or to everyone including Roma?

I think it "gypsy" is actually quite widely thought to be offensive in the UK (I cringed and protested, only yesterday, when my mother referred to a local family as the "Gypsy family over the road").

I don't know why the "Big Fat Gypsy Weddings" thing has been overlooked. It is a Channel 4 (UK) programme and TLC is responsible only for buying it to air in the USA; it originates firmly over here.

ETA: I still don't know why it has been accepted so long, but apparently the UK Advertising Standards Agency is currently investigating complaints over the use of the word "Gypsy" for the latest series of the show: http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/fe ... edding-ads

TLC is pimping that show because they have absolutely no standards and will do anything and exploit anyone to turn a buck. They should should rename it, but there are a million other things they should do too, so don't hold your breath. Since when has TLC ever been a paragon of virtue that we should strive to emulate?

Aren't Travelers (or Romany) usually staunch Catholics? What were these ProtestantFundy/Cult members doing feeling the spirit in a Catholic church? Isn't that taught in IBLP 101, that Catholics are the devil?

Rroma encompass any and all religions. In Romania, most are Catholics, but worldwide they can be Muslims, Christians, Jews, Atheists, or whatever.

I have a friend who is a Jewish Rroma (she's a convert to Judaism).

In the UK, the term Gypsy isn't offensive. So it may not be in Romania, either

In My Big Fat Gypsy Weddings, the participants describe themselves as either 'Romany Gypsies' or 'Irish Travellers'.

Yes it is. Ask a Rrom, they do not like the term Gypsy. Irish travellers might be more tolerant about it, but Rroms hate it.

Archived