IGNORED

hiilllllllarious fundie wedding pic...

Caxpax

Okay, there are about a million photos of these people -- can someone point me to the one of the cake? I'm dying to see it but have been scrolling and scrolling!

And I don't find the bridesmaid dresses unfortunate. They are unique in their versatility and each girl seems to be wearing the bodice a slightly different way. Based on all the truly hideous bridesmaid dresses I've worn over the years, I would have gladly worn one of those!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not to be all bitchy, but could you take out all the DOTS and just remove the http://www? It makes it so much easier to copy and paste.

As a tip: actually the best way to stop it turning into a link is to click the 'do not automatically parse URLs' box below the post window...

Anyway, that book looks second-hand... hope it didn't originally belong to the parents!!

Oh my word, I've just come across a photo of the bride flossing her teeth! Why would anyone want to have a photo of that among their wedding photos?! What next, the bride cutting her toenails or something?

How fundie can she be? Bare shoulders in the church?

And the teeth flossing...eww. That photographer has no taste.

This is funny, in a way, because nothing about the wedding itself looks fundie. The bride's dress was strapless, the groom's mother's dress was above the knee, the bridesmaids' dresses were very decent (some with bare shoulders), a groomsman (or maybe it was an usher) had a ponytail, and the wedding was at a United Methodist church (not fundie, but congregations can vary). It seems weird that the bride is fundie, but she has all this non-fundie stuff.

The cake is bizarre. It looks like Disney's Princess Birthday Cake for Wealthy Three Year Olds. The cutesy panda and penguin topper do nothing to detract from that.

I wore one of those dresses in a very similar and hideous shade of purple when I was a bridesmaid for my sister. They suck. It's really hard to get them wrapped to stay up and hide all your underarm cleavage and not be completely bare-backed and if you're one of those people (like I am) that really NEEDS to wear a bra, they are not your friend. Aldo I know there's lots of places that make them, and some are better made then others, but the jersey in mine was not very good quality and showed off every single bump lump. I chucked the thing in the garbage the day after the wedding.

Hahaha, the makeup artist's face is priceless!

The cake reminds me of my friend's wedding. (Well, childhood friend, we're not really friends anymore, but our parents are - I don't know why because all my mom does is complain about her mom but that's another story!) My mom got stuck planning the bridal shower. Or rather, taking orders and paying for everything while my friend's mom plans the bridal shower. It's Cinderella themed. That would be the type of cake I would expect at the shower. She's not fundy, just... that's her mom's aesthetic and she is the type to go along with it. Of course the wedding is at the Ritz so hopefully it's a little more grown-up. I shouldn't talk because I want my theme to be Elmo, but I think some of the Disney weddings are done very classily (is that a word?) and I am planning on doing it in a similar way, not an overt "OMG I LOVE PRINCESSES!!1!!1" way like this bridal shower.

I didn't have the patience to find the picture with the book. But I want to say I actually like those bridesmaids' dresses. If I'm not mistaken, I think it's a little bit of a trend to have those multi-way dresses for bridesmaids. They're not actually that attractive, but I confess to liking the concept.

And I think the color is cool and refreshingly non-fundie.

Those pictures are strange. In some of them it looks like the bridesmaids are about to kill each other, the bride flossing... I'd be pissed if those were my wedding pics.

Yes, this is a another set of photos I would be very annoyed to have paid for. So many of the bridesmaid photos catch them with really unfortunate expressions or from bad angles. Anyone can take bad shots; a wedding photographer is paid to get good ones.

I think my threshold for "fundie" is much lower than most- but then again the bare shoulders things is pretty common, even amongst the fundie lites I know (the people I call fundie lite used to be Gothardites and are all soft-comps who love Mark Driscoll and Voddie Bauchum, to verify their cred). The weddings I've been to that were fundie lite all had bare shouldered brides- even at the weddings with no booze, no dancing, lots of talk of bride's virgin status, wifely submission, man as head of the household, childbearing duties, etc.

This girl could likely be called fundie-lite- from what I understand she and her family were the most conservative in her congregation by far (like I said, not a fundie-dense area) and she did a version of Stay-at-home- daughterhood for a while- although she did eventually go to college she majored in Elem. Ed with the intention of homeschooling her future kids, her sibs were homeschooled for some time, and she spoke to me about being under her father's leadership/protection.......she thought it shocking that I lived without male protection (I had female roommates in a high-crime urban environment). She didn't get along well enough with her family (which I never got the full story on) to continue living with them after college, so they arranged for her to live with a married couple from church- she essentially served as an au pair in exchange for room and board. But there was no question of her ever living on her own or with roommates that weren't a married couple that could protect her spiritually from the onslaught of secular living.

Back the more important matters- the thing that makes me mad about the dresses, is while they look great on some of her bridesmaids- the thin ones, specifically- they a) look like they were a b%^ch to wrap up, and b) they looked terrible on the heavier girls.......and the bride herself used to be very heavy, so she HAD to have known how bad they would look on those girls- every bump highlighted. That's just mean.

Back the more important matters- the thing that makes me mad about the dresses, is while they look great on some of her bridesmaids- the thin ones, specifically- they a) look like they were a b%^ch to wrap up, and b) they looked terrible on the heavier girls.......and the bride herself used to be very heavy, so she HAD to have known how bad they would look on those girls- every bump highlighted. That's just mean.

You know, the problem with weddings and bridesmaids gowns is that every one of your besties has a different size and shape and you have to just pick something that will mostly work for everyone. I had challenges with my bridesmaids' dresses even though I paid to have them custom made -- just no one style works well for everyone. I have worn some pretty humiliating bridesmaid gowns myself, but it's really all about your friendship and your willingness to wear whatever your friend, the bride, chooses for you.

Honestly, I thought the heavier girls looked just as great in those dresses as the thinner girls did. I liked the idea of a wrap and think the girls did a good job choosing their own style. And the color is my favorite, so I can't even snark on that -- same color as my bridesmaid dresses (okay, it was 1995, but still).

Just sayin'.

But for a fundie wedding, I did think the bride's sleeveless dress was out of character. Most of the dresses these days are sleeveless but I've seen a lot of the fundie brides alter them to give them cap sleeves or a more modest look.

You know, the problem with weddings and bridesmaids gowns is that every one of your besties has a different size and shape and you have to just pick something that will mostly work for everyone. I had challenges with my bridesmaids' dresses even though I paid to have them custom made -- just no one style works well for everyone. I have worn some pretty humiliating bridesmaid gowns myself, but it's really all about your friendship and your willingness to wear whatever your friend, the bride, chooses for you.

Honestly, I thought the heavier girls looked just as great in those dresses as the thinner girls did. I liked the idea of a wrap and think the girls did a good job choosing their own style. And the color is my favorite, so I can't even snark on that -- same color as my bridesmaid dresses (okay, it was 1995, but still).

Just sayin'.

But for a fundie wedding, I did think the bride's sleeveless dress was out of character. Most of the dresses these days are sleeveless but I've seen a lot of the fundie brides alter them to give them cap sleeves or a more modest look.

Or you can have different dresses in the same colour - for my best friend's wedding, she just told the three of us to pick a dress in navy. We all looked like bridesmaids because of our bouquets and we had matching white faux fur shrugs (it was a November wedding). Hell, even bridesmaid dresses in different shades of the same colour or different colours altogether can look awesome, if there's something to pull all the looks together, like the bouquets or a shawl.

The look on the makeup artist's face is priceless. When you said the bride was a fundie, I was expecting her to wear something similar to the fundies we snark about wear. Then again, if she's fundie-lite, it's understandable she might wear a strapless dress and let her bridesmaids have bare shoulders if they wanted to. I've been to fundie-lite weddings where the bride had bare shoulders, yet there was no booze or dancing at the reception.

As a tip: actually the best way to stop it turning into a link is to click the 'do not automatically parse URLs' box below the post window...

Anyway, that book looks second-hand... hope it didn't originally belong to the parents!!

Somehow (I don't remember how) I ended up with a second-hand copy of "Intended for Pleasure" in which the previous owners had read it very seriously and written notes to each other in the margins -- apologizing, vowing to improve on various issues, etc. It wasn't anyone I knew, thank goodness, but it was still way way too squicky. :oops:

The look on the makeup artist's face is priceless.

Had to go looking for that picture once I got into the site. And that is quite some look on her face! She looks flat out disgusted.

Have to say that having the wrap top dresses for the bridesmaids was interesting. Not a bad idea, really, though a couple of the wrap designs didn't work for me; others were pretty clever.

tell that to pandas.

And remember, these are people who have (probably) been taught to repress all sexual thoughts and the man is probably not aware that women have a THIRD whole down there. So yea, a book is probably necessary. With illustrations.

yes, but isn't the wedding day a bit too late for that book? I mean, how quickly can she read?

I am pretty sure her photographer didn't like her either. Mainly due to the icky photo of her first getting ecstatic over a baggie of dental floss, then the close-up of her flossing her teeth, complete with a shot of the tooth mung on the pre-flossed side. Ew.

Not to mention the hairspray shot, which was interesting photography but made her look like Swamp Creature Arising From the Deep to Feast On Your Spleen.

That plus the creepy sex book -- not exactly what I would hope to be documenting in my wedding photos, then putting on public display.

It worked for me when I pasted it and then put the www. back in.
I was about to go all "I tried that!" but this time of course it worked.

Archived